Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2006, 08:43   #1
God Member

HD TV, should you or shouldn't you

I've posted in General chat as most people have a TV and with the current push I thought people may find this useful

There is a good review of HD TV and if/why you should buy now or wait a while.

Make up your own minds after reading this

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05...yers_guide_uk/

It may also help explain some of teh terminology that you will experience.

My attention was particulary drawn by the point that if you feed HD TV signal through a conventional video/PVR you are likely to end up with worse quality than standard TV now.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2006, 09:23   #2
Senior Member+

Re: HD TV, should you or shouldn't you

I have a HD ready tv but like it says in your article its no good until they start sending the programmes in HD, thats why sky want you to buy a HD box for £299!!.

Not only do you have to pay extra for the HD tv but then you have to pay extra to get the HD channels! So everyones a winner eh!
Old 22-06-2006, 09:27   #3
God Member

Mummiboo, If you have a decent DVD player that supports progressive scan you can get a better picture by using this. Check the instructions for it.(what TV do you have?)

Old 22-06-2006, 09:32   #4

Excellent article, thanks for that.

I'd already decided to hold off on getting a 'slim' HD ready TV rather than our current CRT and, to me, the article shows that I've made the right decision.
Old 22-06-2006, 09:39   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Mummiboo, If you have a decent DVD player that supports progressive scan you can get a better picture by using this. Check the instructions for it.(what TV do you have?)
I have a sony bravia rear projection lcd tv and i have a sony DAVSR4 surround sound DVD player.
Old 22-06-2006, 09:54   #6
God Member

quick google suggests taht your DVD player doesn't do it. You can check teh manual for it.

Basher, I'm with you. My CRT can stay where it is for now. I've got a projector for big screen stuff but I'll wait a couple of years before I swap any of them

Old 22-06-2006, 10:01   #7
Senior Member+

Humm lets see now after the price i paid for that dvd player im not in a hurry to go and get another!!!! lol
Old 22-06-2006, 10:10   #8

It does all sound rather like a conspiracy by TV manufacturers and SKY to get us to fork out even more money. It alrady annoys me that I have to pay for lots of Sky channels I never watch, just to be able to get the ones I want. I did ask why I couldn't just choose the channels I wanted rather than have to pay for the different mixes they provide, but they said, quite emphatically that they don't allow this.
I don't think I will be buying HD till it is free to view.

Last edited by claytonender; 22-06-2006 at 10:12.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 10:10   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
I have a HD ready tv but like it says in your article its no good until they start sending the programmes in HD, thats why sky want you to buy a HD box for £299!!.

Not only do you have to pay extra for the HD tv but then you have to pay extra to get the HD channels! So everyones a winner eh!
Blimey!! sounds like its another con job of getting more money out of people
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 10:17   #10
God Member

Already got one but I didn't buy it for the HD and i'm certainly not going to pay any extra to receive it!
Reason I got it was we wanted a new TV and the place it was being put it was best for us to go for a LCD due to the size limits, we also had to get one with the speakers at the bottom and not on the side - again down to size limits, after all the searching for the right one etc the one we found was a HD one.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 10:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
Already got one but I didn't buy it for the HD and i'm certainly not going to pay any extra to receive it!
Reason I got it was we wanted a new TV and the place it was being put it was best for us to go for a LCD due to the size limits, we also had to get one with the speakers at the bottom and not on the side - again down to size limits, after all the searching for the right one etc the one we found was a HD one.
That sounds like a very sensible buy.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 10:38   #12

Yeh i bought an HDtv, 37inch slim line LCD goodmans.

I thought it was cheap at £1389 with a free dvd recorder and stand. Now ive looked into HD with sky £299 for the box and a further £10 a month what a rip off i wont be purchasing that in a hurry

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Football Club

Club Website: www.brsfc.com
wozaup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 10:41   #13
I am Banned

Its quite typical of rip off sky, so doesn't surprise me & think that it would have to come down somewhat in price before its bought!

Give me 10yrs i might catch up with the gadgets by then tried & tested lol
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 10:41   #14
God Member

SKY always charge a premium for 'new' services, SKY + was £200 when it was launched, 12 months down teh line its free apart from the package price

Old 22-06-2006, 11:02   #15
Senior Member+

We got sky about 5 years ago and stayed with them since when we got sky we took out the repair plan and have paid it evey month since we got it and never used it! we still have the same old black box which dont go with our silver set up!! do you think if i rang sky they would exchange the box for a silver one?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..