Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2006, 11:06   #16
God Member

Re: HD TV, should you or shouldn't you

Personally I think extended guarantees are a rip off. I will never take one out. I'm still using my original SKY digi box which is now 7 years old. I've got a new SKY+ one as well but won't bother with repair plan on that either.

If you want a 'extended guarantee, stick the money in a savings account. the odds are heavily in your favour that if it reaches the end of its manufacturers guarantee it will be fine for years to come.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2006, 12:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Personally I think extended guarantees are a rip off. I will never take one out. I'm still using my original SKY digi box which is now 7 years old. I've got a new SKY+ one as well but won't bother with repair plan on that either.

If you want a 'extended guarantee, stick the money in a savings account. the odds are heavily in your favour that if it reaches the end of its manufacturers guarantee it will be fine for years to come.
I agree with you entirely about extended guarantees, thye really are a rip off, and if you put the same amount into a savings account, you would have more than enough to buy a new item when anything goes wrong with the orginal.
I have also had my Sky box for 7 years - at one time Sky used to keep pestering me to take out their service plan, pointing out that I would not get another sky box (+ fitting) for the same cheap price as my exssiting box. My answer to this was I would just buy a Freeview Box and then I wouldn't even have to pay the monthly subscription. I now have Freeview box for my portable (which is in the bedroom), and am finding that most of the programmes we like to watch are on freeview anyway, so I am seriously considering cancelling my sky package, which will save me £216 a year.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 12:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
We got sky about 5 years ago and stayed with them since when we got sky we took out the repair plan and have paid it evey month since we got it and never used it! we still have the same old black box which dont go with our silver set up!! do you think if i rang sky they would exchange the box for a silver one?
Unfortunately, knowing how Sky work they will want to charge you for a new set top box.
Old 22-06-2006, 12:26   #19
Senior Member+

Humm i know your right i think i will have to give them a call and see what they say!
Old 22-06-2006, 12:35   #20

If you give them a call instead of using their 0870 number (which can cost a lot of money - because they usually have you on hold for age) try the following number 0800 5875707 this is Customer enquiries - DON'T press STAR button which they ask you to do it TWICE; DON'T RESPOND & HOLD.
Old 22-06-2006, 12:55   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender
I agree with you entirely about extended guarantees, thye really are a rip off, and if you put the same amount into a savings account, you would have more than enough to buy a new item when anything goes wrong with the orginal.
I have also had my Sky box for 7 years - at one time Sky used to keep pestering me to take out their service plan, pointing out that I would not get another sky box (+ fitting) for the same cheap price as my exssiting box. My answer to this was I would just buy a Freeview Box and then I wouldn't even have to pay the monthly subscription. I now have Freeview box for my portable (which is in the bedroom), and am finding that most of the programmes we like to watch are on freeview anyway, so I am seriously considering cancelling my sky package, which will save me £216 a year.
Normally I'd agree, except with a amstrad sky box, mine packed up afetr 12 months, and I ended up paying 80 quid for a recon one, but it was pace not amstrad rubbish. The old amstrad boxes were well know for packing up after 13 month, the pace was a lot better, and panasonic better still.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 12:59   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Its quite typical of rip off sky, so doesn't surprise me & think that it would have to come down somewhat in price before its bought!

Give me 10yrs i might catch up with the gadgets by then tried & tested lol
In ten years they'll be as cheap as chips, like everything else. The only winner will be you.
Only thing I'd like at the minute is sky plus. you can't beat a good old fasioned crt for tv or pc in my opinion.
Old 22-06-2006, 13:27   #23
God Member

The only winner will be you?

Mmmm IMHO depending on benefits/costs I'd rather just wait till the cost:benefit ratio is acceptable to me e.g SKY+ at £200 plus subs itwasn't worth it, at £0 but £10/month for the extra box it is. Same with HD, at £300 I'm not bothered, when its free a free box with maybe a few quid extra a month over normal sky then I'll sign up.

I am a bit of a gadget/techie freak as most people have noticed so I probably jump earlier than most into stuff but if that what blows my frock on a cold winters night then thats up to me. ( Ian looks around at all the gadgets he owns and is slightly embarrassed )

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 13:34   #24
God Member

don't most people just wait until it's acceptable to them, I know she said ten years but I'm sure that's what she meant. Acceptable to you will always be a higher price to you than me, because you use it, I hardly use it, The only thing I really do is use the pc. although I do miss sitting down with someone and watching films and drama's. Now I just watch them in here on my 25 year old black and white portable. All that technology in the other room wasted.
Old 21-07-2006, 20:55   #25
God Member

my tell packed up and as I'd never owned a proper good bit of electrickery I plumped for an LG HD LCD TV. I saved a bit of money by sticking at 32" rather than the unnecessary 37".

Also I have never had a gadget when it was new so I got the HD box. The nature stuff is phenomenal and underwater programmes will never be the boring crap that they are in standard def. Films just look like a really good picture even against my existing really good picture. Anything else doesn't look that much different. Until. When you turn back to a normal programme it lloks as though the camera has fogged up slightly.

Sometimes though the HD can be too good. Everybody can be seen to be sweating under the camera lights and normally you wouldn't see this. But the clarity of things is such that the other day I was looking at a tree outside and thought "its just like watching HD"

As I never had sky+ the outlay was worth it, as far as the subscription is concerned I thought it was a tenner but the lady on the phone said the tenner is to have the old box put in another room. Last months bill was the same as previous months as well so we'll have to wait and see.

And we needed a new remote which would have cost 25 quid so really it was only 275. And we wuld have to buy new batteries so it would have been 272.50. And then they couldn't supply the box on the date they said they would so credited my account with 20 quid so really it was 252.50. And then they said if we waited until 10th July they would credit me another 20 quid and I told em to stick I want it now.

250 notes for summat new and sky+ sounds alrighty to me
Old 24-07-2006, 22:30   #26

I'm *so* tempted but I am holding off for now til price comes down and full hd ready sets are more readily available, helped by the fact NTL dont offer HD broadcasts yet and I cba switching everything over to Sky/BT/Adsl
sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 23:30   #27
God Member

hmmm my new HD box broke down on sunday, gotta wait til wednesday for the engineer.

when we moved in the house had no aerial and I was loathe to buy one when we were having Sky put in anyway and a pound shop aerial works fine upstairs.

But it looks minging on my 32" LCD
Old 28-07-2006, 18:27   #28

I read an article in a national paper, cant remember which, either the times or guardian, in fact it was on bbc online somewhere. This journalist was telling the story of his new HD tv and sky package. He happened to live in an apartment, quite close to a pub, 2 or 3 storeys high. Anyway he sat down tuned into the england paraguay game. It was a hot day, so he opened all his windows and tuned in. a couple of minutes into the game, he hears a massive roar, stands up, goes to the window and sees people cheering in the pub, he looks at his tv and beckham scores. Apparently the pitfall of HDTV is that its delayed, don't know what the delay time is but apparently its just the way it is for the moment. An "expert" told the journalist that for now he was better keeping his windows shut!

I would love to be able to afford a HDTV and box. A sky engineer came to my house and i asked him what it was like. His said, when you watch football and see faces in the crowd, with HDTV you can see their spots!
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 16:36   #29
Senior Member+

Mummiboo thanks for that i have been in asking about a Sky HD receiver.The price i got quoted was 700 pound as living abroad you have to buy the thing outright.So now i know that the people in Blighty are making at least 300 quid on it.Apart from that Sky charges you an extra tenner for the HD programmes and the service is not totally reliable.
Old 29-07-2006, 17:41   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossendaleRed
Apparently the pitfall of HDTV is that its delayed, don't know what the delay time is but apparently its just the way it is for the moment.
The delay is because it was on a satellite channel. The satellite is som 22,000 miles above the earth's surface. The signal has to travel 50,000 miles, this is what causes the delay compared to a terrestrial station.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..