Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Whats your opinion of peer to peer programs?
Is the use of Peer to Peer right? 15 88.24%
- - - or wrong! 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2006, 15:54   #1
Always EVIL within us

Performing Right Society and Peer to Peer

What do you think of peer to peer programs that allow you to download music, videos and programs for free?

The music industry claim that they are losing millions in revenue as a result but I disagree. I feel that it is wrong that they pay vast amounts to superstars in advance of albums even being penned, They force-feed what THEY consider we should buy, and as soon as it stops selling, it is discarded with no chance for the public to order back copies.

The national press are dishing C.D's and D.V.D's out like sweeties to anyone that buys their paper, Are the recording artists being paid the normal percentage for these albums?

The Performing Right Society which is responsible for collecting artists fees are presently writing to motor traders to inform them that should the radio be on in a garage when a customer enters the premises, they will be deemed to be illegally broadcasting music - and should buy an £85-00 license or be taken to court! How petty.

I use limewire, I use it to catch up on hits that I didn't buy as a teenager, I have also come across several artists I like particularly from Canada that have never released any music in the U.K. I wouldn't rush out to buy songs from the 60's and 70's but enjoy listening to them while on the P.C. Does that make me a criminal?
Old 18-02-2006, 16:05   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Performing Right Society and Peer to Peer

Limewire is fantastic for finding music. I found White Horses by Jackie from the 60's television series of the same name.

It isn't killing the music anyway. The Artic Monkeys won a load of Brits this week, and they just started out by giving their music free to their fans over the internet, and now they're big the music industry also gets their cut.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 16:11   #3
God Member

The internet is seen as having no soul and no place with music - which in certain lights is understandable; it takes away the great feeling of handing over the money and actually buying a record in a shop, reading the sleevenotes all the way home and playing the record over and over until you're pretty dam sick of it!
But the internet is a very good thing for new bands getting started - the best example I can give is that of the Arctic Monkeys. They gave out free demos of their songs at gigs, fans put the tracks on peer to peer programs and their popularity exploded - making millions for the 'industry' when their album finally came out and selling out all their gigs in under 5 minutes.
I do think the loss of a tradition of actually buying music is unfortunate; but I think to keep the soul alive in finding new talent - the best people to do it are us, the fans using these p2p programs!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 16:12   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It isn't killing the music anyway. The Artic Monkeys won a load of Brits this week, and they just started out by giving their music free to their fans over the internet, and now they're big the music industry also gets their cut.
argh dam my slow typing; you got there before me lol
Old 18-02-2006, 16:18   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
argh dam my slow typing; you got there before me lol
Lol, that's ok, I'm glad you backed me up because if I'd have got it wrong I'd have looked a right plonker.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 16:22   #6
Senior Member+

I think fairs fair as music in this country is way over priced as it is compared to other countrys - in a way the hand has been forced and people are now getting it for free as opposed to paying the ridiculous £20 or whatever it is for a cd - now if it was £6-£9 for an album like in the usa then more folk may be inclined to buy it - people arent daft and wont be ripped off !
I couldnt tell you the last time I did buy an album though - for the price of a bargain cd (£8) I can buy 50 blank discs and do my own - with a better choice !
I also download my own films and dont bother renting dvds from blockbuster and such like or going top the flicks - I already have munich,brokeback mountain, king kong, chicken little & final destination3 to name a few this month - and not one is a camcorder in the cinema - all perfect copies - I pay my money to do this and I am not breaking any laws in doing so as they are downloaded in binary files (not illegal to download binary files - then they get converted off line ) and they are for my own personal viewing and no one elses - not distrubuted to anybody.

Last edited by glasgow guy; 18-02-2006 at 16:26.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 17:27   #7
God Member

Why should I pay a small fortune for some singer to snort it up his nose and a music company execitive throw it away on golf.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 17:52   #8
God Member

People like the music assosiation of america are activly campaigning saying that it's even illegal to make your own backup copies of your legaly purchased cd's!

If I want to download music *legally* then it's going to be littered with protection, which can do all sorts of things, one main thing is only allowing you to play the music on so many devices, so if you want to put it on your phone/mp3 player you may find yourself not being able to make copies of your own music!

Not to mention I think this sort of protection is coming to CD based music, if it isn't already.

The large corporations should stop trying to buy laws for themselves and instead give us cheap music.

I'd buy music from http://allofmp3.com rather than download it free, because it's easier to find and better quality... the legality of it I don't know. It's like $1.5 an album.. it's legal in russia, and I think therefore it's legal here.....
because if you bought say a cd over the internet from france then it would be fine to bring it over to this country...
Old 18-02-2006, 19:59   #9
God Member

The way I look at it is its no different from borrowing a CD albulm of one of my mates. Trying to remember if it was the same with tapes and copying them back in the grey days.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Last edited by SPUGGIE J; 18-02-2006 at 20:00. Reason: missed a bit
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 21:44   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Not to mention I think this sort of protection is coming to CD based music, if it isn't already.
It is around.
All the big selling bands under the Sony label; their CD's are 'protected' with copy protection software which has been found out to carry spyware along with it.
For example my Red Hot Chili Peppers greatest hits cd will not play in windows media player...and freezes the whole computer when I try to do so.
It's funny how the record companies are trying to stay in touch with the youth of today to find their next money spinner, yet constantly drive a wedge between with stupid stunts like this.
Old 19-02-2006, 00:02   #11
God Member

Yeah was aware of the spyware issue but insure if they limited number of copies from cd's yet..
Old 19-02-2006, 09:22   #12
Senior Member+

sorry to burst the bubble guys.....But there was only about 12 albums (including RHCP and Aerosmith I think) released in Europe that carried that spyware, but the myth has now grown up that ALL Sony albums have it.

It exploited a weakness in Windows and was highlighted by the reknowned expert Mark Russinovich who found it by accident. It is a total nightmare to get rid of.

Sony have promised not to use it again, so your chances of picking it up are pretty slim.
and for those who want to rip/burn/copy a protected cd ( if they actually have one)
click here...http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/70597

or copy the cd on to your hard drive then burn it from the folder you save it to, easy peasy really ,the cd is encrypted not the music!!

cheers.

Last edited by glasgow guy; 19-02-2006 at 13:23.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 13:56   #13
God Member

I also download a lot of music but it is songs I already have on CD's to listen to while on the pc, odd tracks that are blasts from the past that you can't get any longer and odd tracks off an album that I begrudge paying the money when I only like one track off it! Other than than that I still buy CD's if I like the album or artist enough, because, if anything ever happened to my hard drive what better way to have it backed up than on a bought CD.

I also use limewire and they've yet to let me down, even on some very weird songs I've wanted like Naughty Naughty by Joy Sarney.......... don't ask lol!!!

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 19-02-2006 at 14:31.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 14:20   #14
Resident Waffler

In the "olden days" (as my daughters refer to those long ago years when I was a teenager) I used to have a radio cassette player which was marketed with a view to you being able to make taped recordings of your favourite songs off Radio One. Hundreds, nay thousands of kids did it and nobody paid any royalties. What we did do though was go and buy an album so we could have the other songs that we couldn't get on the radio.

Nowadays we've got P2P and some people are copying whole albums so maybe albums sales are suffering as a result. But when I talk to people about what they download from P2P it tends to be stuff they can't get in the shops. There used to be a time when you could order oldies but when I tried recently (and the "oldie" was less than a year old even) I was told "Oh no, we don't do that. We move on to the new releases." so how does it possibly affect record sales if people are downloading older stuff?

I've argued the case too about people making video/DVD rcordings of TV programs. Machines exist for that very purpose, so that you can record something and watch it later. Are you then supposed to destroy it once you've watched it? How many times have you seen appeals going out (yes even from auntie BBC) for old videos of shows which they no longer have the originals of? If everyone had behaved themselves and destroyed the copies as soon as they'd been watched then a lot of classic TV would have been lost forever. There's an appeal going out at the moment for the "Reginald Molehusband" ad.

Instead of cutting off their noses to spite their faces the recording industry could try to make CDs more appealing. I remember when buying an album was something special because it has large illustrations, sometimes a poster, sometimes the whole thing was in booklet form. IF the CDs had something you couldn't possible get any other way then there would still be the appeal of spending money on one now and again. I haven't bought a CD in ages. I can't even remember what the last one I bought was. Probably something like whale music.

As for garages paying the PRS for the privilege of having the radio on at work where is that going to end? If you have a picnic in the countryside and some other family hears your radio should you have a PRS licence for that? How about cars passing you on the street and you hear a snatch of music from an open window?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 23:03   #15

I download evrything on Mirc using an invision script and www.packetnews.com as my search engine.Any software(with cracks),films,albums(with covers),games etc all there for free.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..