Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 16:16   #1
Junior Member+

No England Comments???

Hi all

Not been on for a bit but was suprised when i logged on not to see loads of threads bout the footie! Whats going on? I have to say i am delighted its only just started and ive heard enuf already. Its nice to see some people have more going on in there lives ... wel sum
Old 11-06-2006, 17:10   #2
I am Banned

Re: No England Comments???

if england had had a more convincing victory instead of barely scraping a win which they didnt deserve people may have posted more about it

mind you 3 points is 3 points derserved or not
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 19:01   #3
Give, give, give member

There is a thread about the Paraguay match in the sports section Kazza.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 19:18   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

I called into our local Co-op Late Shop yesterday afternoon. There was a lad, serving customers, wearing an England shirt with a small portable telly next to him. I asked him who was winning and he said, "England, one nil. It was an own-goal by Paraguay." I said, "Oh." He said, "Yes, but it was good own-goal."
Old 11-06-2006, 20:30   #5
Senior Member+

I ussually only post on music and politic threads. I love football more than anything else, even the wife will admit it!

Everyone seems to have summed up England already in my view. Ericcson is our weakeat link. He is to negative tactically and his substitutions are bizare. Playing first Owen, then Cole, then Gerrard as the supporting striker in one game, whilst leaving your selected sticking option Walcott on the bench seemed contradictory. When will Walcott play then?

We keep picking good club players who can't make the transition to international football because we seem to select on the basis that the world cup is a winter tournament over 40 games.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 20:47   #6
God Member

Careful Graham or you may find you agreeing on something with Jaysay!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 20:49   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
When will Walcott play then?
I was having this conversation yesterday.

I can't understand why he has taken Theo if he's going to 'bottle it' when it actually comes to putting him on the pitch.

Is Theo only going to get a run out in matches to rest a knackered player when we are already 2 or 3 - 0 up?

I think Sven's taken a big gamble taking Theo over and he should have been on the pitch yesterday, justifying Svens reasons for taking him.
Old 11-06-2006, 21:18   #8
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

If you've seen any sports news today you will have seen Walcott's leg strapped up, maybe this was the reason he was not used as a sub yesterday.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 21:20   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
I ussually only post on music and politic threads. I love football more than anything else, even the wife will admit it!
Graham, I never knew you were a football fan. In that case, I hope you will be supporting your local football league club next season. The Clayton End is currently being painted red in anticipation of your arrival!
Old 11-06-2006, 21:25   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
If you've seen any sports news today you will have seen Walcott's leg strapped up, maybe this was the reason he was not used as a sub yesterday.
No I hadn't seen a paper today! Please tell me your taking the p**s Bagpuss because I've just swore very loudly!
Old 11-06-2006, 21:27   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
No I hadn't seen a paper today! Please tell me your taking the p**s Bagpuss because I've just swore very loudly!
I've not seen a paper today it was on Sky Sports news.:engsmil:

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 21:33   #12
Senior Member+

Accrington is obviously my home town. However my dad was from Mill Hill, and I have always suported Rovers. HE didn't have much choice in the early 70's. I go on Stanley when I can, Clayton end. Prefer the 'bleachers', its where all the people I know go.
Old 11-06-2006, 21:37   #13
Senior Member+

My prefered team would be;
Robinson, Neville, A Cole, Tery, Ferdinand, Lennon, Beckham, Gerrard, J Cole, Rooney, Crouch.

I think Owen has lost his one attribute, his pace and does not possess enough skill to take us past a semi-final. Lampard doesn't seem capable of breaking out of top class club football. He was really poor at Ewood this season, whereas Gerrard has always been class.

I think Walcott was a good addition (as was Lennon) because pace can be everything. Owen Argentina 98 comes to mind. Its a shame Dyer has not had a good season and isn't fit though mentally he has problems at Newcastle. I would have taken Wright Philips as well despite an inconsistant season at Chelsea in and out of the team.

Last edited by g jones; 11-06-2006 at 21:43.
Old 11-06-2006, 21:43   #14
Super Moderator

Well. as the police have decided that we're playing our home matches when Rovers are away, hopefully you'll have plenty of opportunities!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 11-06-2006 at 21:59.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 21:48   #15
I am Banned

Yeh apparently so although minor - he's been given the all clear for the trinidad match

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/a...jury+all-clear
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..