Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2006, 19:16   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Best Guitarist ever?

jimi Hendrix.
Old 15-10-2006, 19:36   #17
Len
God Member

In the early 70’s, I quite liked Ritchie Blackmore. He played with Deep Purple and then had his own band Rainbow, my favourite album from rainbow has to be Rainbow rising, although I still have one or two Deep Purple LP’s.

I found a couple of rainbow rising sample tracks you can listen too.
I hope they work. hehe

Track 1..... Do you close your eyes

Track 2..... Starstruck

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 19:40   #18
God Member

Dave Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore and as mentioned Johnny Marr, boils down to personal taste and which era (Hank Marvin the best mid-sixties)
I'll go for Dave Gilmour.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 19:40   #19
Resting In Peace

Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana, and of course Bert Weedon.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 19:42   #20
Super Moderator

Dick Dale's an excellent choice and Granny Claret has picked a good 'un too with Duane Eddy. However, for me it's a choice between Scotty Moore - he played on the early Elvis sides and practically invented rock guitar playing - and Link Wray - his "Rumble" is one of the most influential instrumentals ever - Townshend, Clapton, Page and many more all cite it as a major influence.
Old 15-10-2006, 19:47   #21
Member.

Got to agree with the last three posts. I must be starting to get old in the head most of these names seem to be long lost to the past. Maybe it's time to drag those old black disks out of my mothers loft.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 20:05   #22

Peter Green, Carlos Santana, BB King,

Gotta be JOHN SQUIRE of the stone roses and the seahorses all day long for me!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 20:21   #23

For me even though he is not fully accomplished, Neil Young. Seen him several times and what he does, he does brilliantly.

I agree with Johnny Marr and Jimmy Page of course. Would also like to add Pete Townsend and The late Chuck Wagon.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 20:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Dick Dale's an excellent choice and Granny Claret has picked a good 'un too with Duane Eddy. However, for me it's a choice between Scotty Moore - he played on the early Elvis sides and practically invented rock guitar playing - and Link Wray - his "Rumble" is one of the most influential instrumentals ever - Townshend, Clapton, Page and many more all cite it as a major influence.
Ahh, Link Wray, another cracking reference. Very influential, and, in many peoples views (including myself) single handedly invented the power chord.

Nice to see my thread has brought a plethora of guitarists names. Also nice to see some of the less known, but more influential players, like Link Wray, brought up.

Glad I started the thread now

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 21:47   #25
Resident Waffler

Lyall Tranter ................ now sits back and waits for people to say "Who?"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 00:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
Hank Marvin..........&.The shadows,without a dought
Agrees with Granny........got heaps of his playing alone....and with the shadows......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 02:46   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
Peter Green, Carlos Santana, BB King,

Gotta be JOHN SQUIRE of the stone roses and the seahorses all day long for me!
just goes to show the massive sweep of talent..Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac..John sqiure...60's and 90's in a nutshell
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 16:34   #28
Senior Member+

Okay, i originally said Hendrix, which was a bit obvious.But he did play a right handed guitar left handed(thus upside down),played rythmn & lead whilst only backed by bass & drums,and threw in vocals as well.If i had to vote for someone not so obvious it would have to be Will Seargent of the Bunnymen,just for the amazing & slightly trippy left field solos he did on the albums "Crocodiles","Heaven Up Here"&"Porcupine".
Old 16-10-2006, 17:52   #29
God Member

When starting out I used videos of the Beatles to pick up George Harrison's style. Helped a lot. He was one of my favourites also. RIP.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 19:23   #30

Underated Influential guitarists I would like to see mentioned would be Robbie Krieger and Sterling Morrison.

For technical brilliance though I would have to stick with the late great Chuck Wagon of the Dickies. Tony Iommi himself could not believe how fast he played Paranoid without missing a note.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..