Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 16:53   #16

Re: Favourite Vinyl?

An addition to my earlier list: Music from Big Pink by The Band.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2011, 18:27   #17
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
An addition to my earlier list: Music from Big Pink by The Band.
Yeah, "The Weight" is one of the greatest songs ever and their version of "This wheels on fire" is also brill but I prefer their second album just called "The Band"
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 19:31   #18
Super Moderator

Little Richard - "Here's Little Richard" (London)
James Brown - "Tours the USA" (London)
Booker T. & The MGs - "Hip-Hug-Her" (Stax)
Wynonie Harris/Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson - "Jump Blues" (Polydor)
Cannonball Adderley - "Something Else" (Blue Note)

...still flying the flag for good music amidst all this hippie rock stuff.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13   #19
Resting in Peace

A band I used to like in the sixties and seventies was Bread, with David Gates have a few vinyl albums of theirs

This is one of my favorites
Old 10-10-2011, 21:08   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Little Richard - "Here's Little Richard" (London)
James Brown - "Tours the USA" (London)
Booker T. & The MGs - "Hip-Hug-Her" (Stax)
Wynonie Harris/Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson - "Jump Blues" (Polydor)
Cannonball Adderley - "Something Else" (Blue Note)

...still flying the flag for good music amidst all this hippie rock stuff.
I'm with you steve sorry dont get the floyd thing, how about this a new record from the great Sharon jones one of your favs steve

This is a new release from the album of the same name...
Old 10-10-2011, 21:21   #21
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A band I used to like in the sixties and seventies was Bread, with David Gates have a few vinyl albums of theirs

This is one of my favorites
My mum used to listen to Bread when I was a youngster, they always remind of those carefree days in the 70's when it always seemed to be sunny! My fave of theirs is Guitar Man.
Old 10-10-2011, 22:10   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I'm with you steve sorry dont get the floyd thing, how about this a new record from the great Sharon jones one of your favs steve

This is a new release from the album of the same name...
Right on, brother, right on.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
My mum used to listen to Bread when I was a youngster, they always remind of those carefree days in the 70's when it always seemed to be sunny! My fave of theirs is Guitar Man.
Ya Steve they were very popular in the 70s, don't here too much about them today, not seen David Gates for ages. Think one of the best tributes they were paid was when Jack Jones recorded a full album called Bread Winners, all music written and previously recorded by them
Old 11-10-2011, 22:28   #24

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery. Amazing music, Spellbinding artwork by H.R. Giger. A feast for the senses in every way. Listen to opener "Toccata" on headphones and you'll understand why the album is called Brain Salad Surgery!!! Plus it features the epic Karn Evil 9 suite!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 22:59   #25
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery. Amazing music, Spellbinding artwork by H.R. Giger. A feast for the senses in every way. Listen to opener "Toccata" on headphones and you'll understand why the album is called Brain Salad Surgery!!! Plus it features the epic Karn Evil 9 suite!!!

More like it! I first heard Alan Freeman play this in the 80's. He also turned me onto bands like Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep and the Tull. Incidently, Wishbone Ash are playing Clitheroe this Saturday...would've love to have gone but I'm on a do!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:15   #26

Ummagumma - Pink Floyd
Meddle - Pink Floyd
Best Floyd albums before they went "Poppy" with Dark Side.

Split - Groundhogs
Charge - Paladin
And all the early Faust albums
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 20:19   #27
Super Moderator

Wynonie Harris - "Bloodshot Eyes" - a very nice 1956 issue on a UK Vogue label 45.
Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns - "Don't You Just Know It" - a 1958 UK release on an immaculate plum-coloured Columbia label 45 complete with original sleeve.
Amos Milburn - "One Scotch One Bourbon One Beer" - an early 60's reissue 45 on the British Vocalion label - very rare.
Wynonie Harris - "Battle of the Blues" - a 1961 EP with a great shot of the man himself on the cover on the UK Bluebeat label. Very popular with West Indians at the time.
Otis Redding - "Shake" - a 45 on the US Volt label that I bought about this time last year from a beat up old wooden shack about 5 miles from Stax studios in Memphis where it was recorded.

Still promoting quality sounds, amidst the prog ramblings of the Accyweb hippie commune.
Old 12-10-2011, 21:45   #28
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Wynonie Harris - "Bloodshot Eyes" - a very nice 1956 issue on a UK Vogue label 45.
Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns - "Don't You Just Know It" - a 1958 UK release on an immaculate plum-coloured Columbia label 45 complete with original sleeve.
Amos Milburn - "One Scotch One Bourbon One Beer" - an early 60's reissue 45 on the British Vocalion label - very rare.
Wynonie Harris - "Battle of the Blues" - a 1961 EP with a great shot of the man himself on the cover on the UK Bluebeat label. Very popular with West Indians at the time.
Otis Redding - "Shake" - a 45 on the US Volt label that I bought about this time last year from a beat up old wooden shack about 5 miles from Stax studios in Memphis where it was recorded.

Still promoting quality sounds, amidst the prog ramblings of the Accyweb hippie commune.
Otis Redding is the only one of that lot I've heard of!! But is "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer" the same song as the similar named "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" that George Thorogood & the Destroyers did?....if so, I'd probabily like it.
Old 12-10-2011, 21:58   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Otis Redding is the only one of that lot I've heard of!! But is "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer" the same song as the similar named "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" that George Thorogood & the Destroyers did?....if so, I'd probabily like it.
Same song, but somewhat different treatment!

Old 12-10-2011, 22:13   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

many many versions, this n up tempo 59,version, wouldn't swop this fer the crown jewels.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..