Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53   #1
God Member

Greatest Rock n Roll Band?

It's easy to see who were the greatest pop group ever - The Beatles sold over a gazillion records or more, and - more importantly - gave the world a hundred classic songs. But when it comes to that wilder beast, all out rock 'n' roll, it's much more problematic matter. Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry and Bill Haley all caused riots in the Fifties yet most of their recordings arguably sound a little tame when compared with the sheer blood and thunder of the wilder chord-driven Sixties' hits like The Kinks 'You Really Got Me' or The Who's 'My Generation' or 'Substitute'.
Those classic recordings, in turn, sound to many ears almost mild when compared with The Who's very own Quadrophenia or the first Led Zeppelin rockers of the early Seventies.
I could go on for hours but you get the gist right? Rock 'n' Roll is constantly evolving into new sounds under some nook or cranny which hides from the major labels trying to pulp them for all they are worth (but that, children, is another story for another time).
So who - for you - is the greatest rock n roll band of all time and why?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2006, 10:02   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Greatest Rock n Roll Band?

Little Richard and his backing band, the Upsetters. And, Shakey, how you can put the words "Little Richard" and "tame" in the same sentence, I do not know! This music is W-I-L-D!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:05   #3
God Member

I added the word arguably in there just for you, Wyn lol
Old 08-08-2006, 10:11   #4
God Member

Im tempted to say the Stones; just for the sheer cheek of Keith Richards being still alive at 130 after all the stuff he's shoved up his hooter!!

But I'm going for The Who - everything about that band is immense.
Daltrey up front with the howling melodic vocals, Townshends windmills, Ox's bass slappingly stupendous solo's, & of course Keith Moon's ...mentalness.
They were one of those bands that changed youth culture & inspire many generations.
They are the hounds swingers.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:23   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
I added the word arguably in there just for you, Wyn lol
Well, you'll get an argument from me anyday, if you call the mighty Richard Penniman "tame". Everything about his music was exciting - his full-throated vocals, his pounding, crazed piano style, the full-tilt boogie of his backing band...the excitment fairly jumps from the grooves. I admit that some 50's music might sound a bit tame to modern ears, but not Richard's!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:48   #6
white rabbits

I loved all those 50/60s bands mentioned ,That was my era..not forgeting the Shadows who were with Cliff for years,
Then there was Kenny Ball and his Jazz men and not forgetting Lonnie Donegan and Duanye Eddy,,,ohh youve got me going now..
Old 09-08-2006, 00:41   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats gotta be one of the toughest questions ever shaker, i think with me it depends on the mood i,m in, jerry lee lewis for me was/still is a genius, somedays i favour the stones, johnny kidd, eddie cochran, frankie ford,chuck berry,but today it was buddy holly. lol
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02   #8
God Member

Tough decision, guess on refection and todays mood my vote has to the Who, although my favourite song from the 60's (not really rock n roll) is This Wheels on Fire , Brian Auger Trinity
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 20:19   #9

Guns and Roses

Simply timeless, release Paradise City any year from 1950-now and it would get number one.

Slightly more modern - Chillis, though they are still around so technically cant be named as all time greats.

Last edited by SamF; 20-09-2006 at 20:21.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 21:02   #10
God Member

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Fat bottomed girls etc. They were one on their own. Freddie was the ultimate showman.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 21:42   #11
Resident Waffler

I like so many that it depends on when you ask me and what mood I'm in. We've just been talking about music and remembering things I'd almost forgotten like The Move's 'Night of Fear'

There are some songs I just have to stop what I'm doing and listen to no matter how many times I've heard them before. Most by Ray Charles come into that category and 'These Eyes' by The Guess Who.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 00:10   #12
Junior Member+

between led zeppelin and motorhead for sheer rock n roll. probably zeppelin edge it.
waterwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 20:30   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwall View Post
between led zeppelin and motorhead for sheer rock n roll. probably zeppelin edge it.
What the hell have heavy metal bands like Led Zeppelin and Motorhead got to do with rock 'n' roll? THIS is a rock 'n' roll band!

Old 04-12-2008, 22:24   #14
God Member

its still the stones
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 13:27   #15
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
What the hell have heavy metal bands like Led Zeppelin and Motorhead got to do with rock 'n' roll?
heavy metal? haha eh?

listen to LZ 3, its so soft its barely even rock n roll. as for motorhead...be educated...

...heavy metal...haha!

Last edited by waterwall; 05-12-2008 at 13:33.
waterwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..