Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 05:54   #16
God Member

Re: Music to conjure up Christmas spirit...

Anyone remember "While shepherds washed their socks by night/All seated round the tub, etc." I can vaguely remember it ... but that's how it starts.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2011, 06:22   #17
Beacon of light

The Angel of the Lord came down, and gave them all a scrub.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:52   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The Angel of the Lord came down, and gave them all a scrub.
That's the one ... great
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hate to be pedantic, hon; but you missed out the comma.
Point taken, Eric!!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:56   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Point taken, Eric!!
And thanks for having a sense of humour
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Anyone remember "While shepherds washed their socks by night/All seated round the tub, etc." I can vaguely remember it ... but that's how it starts.
The boys at school used to sing "God rest ye Gerry mental-men..."! Dates back to WW2?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 06-12-2011 at 08:10. Reason: Trying to fit a comma in somewhere....!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I like 'Fairy tale of New York' but was MacGowan absolutly sozzled on that video? and did he ever see a dentist?
Not very Christmassy though.
He looked it! Doesn't look like he's ever been to the dentist and it isn't such a Christamasy song -not up my street...

Prefer Jedi's choice as they take me back -especially the Wombles!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its not Christmas until they wheel out Noddy and the boys, what is it 30 years this christmas since they first released their classic number one
Agree -surely though it's even further back than that...!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-12-2011, 10:10   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Classic song, nice to see him still looking good but not condusive to Xmas cheer, the spirit this one conjures up is a bottle of Whiskey to be downed in order to drown ones sorrows

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I'll see your Handel and raise you a Vaughan Williams arrangement of "Down in yon Valley" (sometimes called Down in yon Forest) -my favourite:

This is a beautiful medioaeval piece - skip the first minute if you don't want to hear her talking. The version I have is nicer, with Hand-bells and choirboys but I can't find anything similar on Youtube...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26   #26
Beacon of light

Last year it took me until Valentines day to get into the Christmas spirit....someone had hidden the corkscrew.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 13:40   #27
Resting In Peace

If you want something a bit different try this CD.

While shepherds watched - CD - CDH55325 - Hyperion Records

It's a slightly tarted up version of the sort of music that used to be sung in churches and chapels in the Georgian era. If you scroll down to the sleeve notes they are very informative. There were several hundred tunes to While Shepherds Watched, listen to track 9 where the tune is the original of On Ilkley Moor Baht 'At and track 15, known asOld Fosters.

I used to be in a costumed choir that performed this sort of music. In this picture I'm the one in the bonnet between the cello and the drum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg West gallery choir.JPG (49.1 KB, 6 views)
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:05   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
If you want something a bit different try this CD.

While shepherds watched - CD - CDH55325 - Hyperion Records

It's a slightly tarted up version of the sort of music that used to be sung in churches and chapels in the Georgian era. If you scroll down to the sleeve notes they are very informative. There were several hundred tunes to While Shepherds Watched, listen to track 9 where the tune is the original of On Ilkley Moor Baht 'At and track 15, known asOld Fosters.

I used to be in a costumed choir that performed this sort of music. In this picture I'm the one in the bonnet between the cello and the drum.
Nice photo Sue -shame there's no footage of you singing.

Interesting and different selection of music -took me a minute to work out you have to click on the musical notes to hear an extract...not v. quick off the mark sometimes!

I like the Pastorale No.4 and No.12, which is a version of my favourite carol, that I can just imagine Mr.Darcy and Elisabeth Bennet enjoying at Pemberley!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-12-2011, 14:17   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Nice photo Sue -shame there's no footage of you singing.

Interesting and different selection of music -took me a minute to work out you have to click on the musical notes to hear an extract...not v. quick off the mark sometimes!

I like the Pastorale No.4 and No.12, which is a version of my favourite carol, that I can just imagine Mr.Darcy and Elisabeth Bennet enjoying at Pemberley!
Glad you liked it. It's really great stuff to sing.
Old 06-12-2011, 15:21   #30
Resting In Peace

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="While Shepherd's Watched Tune:Otford - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the choir I used to sing with and is much closer to the historical sound than the professionals on the CD. Ladies only, and I don't recognise many of them, and no instruments, though under the hat behind the music stand on the left is the cellist from the picture I posted earlier.

Yet another version of While Shepherds!

Last edited by susie123; 06-12-2011 at 15:24.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..