Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2016, 21:45   #1
Senior Member+

2016/17 Prediction League; Game 15 v Newport County (home)

Accrington Stanley

v

Newport County

2016/17 Prediction League; Game 15 v Newport (home)

This week’s starter for ten; how many football managers have been sacked or otherwise departed their jobs in October 2016? Believe it or not, the answer’s ten; Signor di Matteo (1st Oct, Villa); Francesco Guidolin (3rd, Swansea); Paul Trollope (4th, Cardiff); Mickey Mellon (6th, Shrewsbury); Nigel Pearson (8th, Derby); Alan Stubbs (19th, Rotherham); Karl “Fireproof” Robinson (23rd, MK Dons); Paul Hurst (24th, Grimsby, to move to Shrewsbury), Walter Zenga (25th, Wolves); and Gary Caldwell (also 25th, Wigan) ……….. Zenga lasted 87 days, di Matteo 121, Pearson 134 days, Trollope 139 and Stubbs 140 ….. and most have already been replaced (at what cost to the Clubs in pay-offs and new contracts, you might wonder), including ex-Wolves Boss Kenny Jackett, who recently got the hot seat – or is it the poisoned chalice? - at the New York Stadium ………. So, your second starter for 10 is – including caretaker appointments, how many managers have Rotherham had since 1st September 2015 – 14 months ago? The answer to that is two caretakers, and five managers – that nice Mr Evans, Neil Redfearn, Neil Warnock, Alan Stubbs and the aforementioned Kenny Jackett ……….. I wouldn’t unpack your suitcase yet, Kenny, if I were you!

They brought in (under Warren Feeney, the then manager) fifteen new players (well, new to them!) ........ Ex Plymouth GK James Bittner led the charge to Wales, followed by defenders Jazzi Barnum-Bobb (no I didn’t make him up!) from Cardiff, Scot Bennet from Notts County, Paul Bignot – for whom they received a six-figure fee from Blackpool in 2011 – has returned from Solihull Moors (I’m here to tell you there are no Moors in Solihull!) and Jamie Turley from Eastleigh; in MF they acquired Joss ”Bite Me” Labadie from the Daggers, Jennison Myrie-Williams (who’d slid to Sligo), Ben Tozer from Yeovil and Barnet’s Mark Randall; up front they got Jon “Pieman” Parkin from Forest Green and Marlon Jackson from Oxford City, and out wide they brought in Sean Rigg (Wombles) and Jack Compton (Yeovil again); masses of experience, but they’re currently rock bottom of League Two, having salvaged (by a late penalty from Sean Rigg) a home point on Tuesday against Barnet, which moved them up from 7 to 8 points ..............

Realising, perhaps that the front line was over-weight and over-age, they hit the loan market for strikers, and brought in Cardiff’s Rhys Healey, QPR’s Reece Grego-Cox and the Cherries’ Jordan Green; def Kyle Cameron from Newcastle and MF Josh Sheehan from Swansea completed the new squad; at the moment they’re busy doubling the size of the home dressing room so that they can all sit down at the same time ...................

After 13 games (they’ve already had two postponed as a result of their ploughed field having been over-ploughed) they’ve won once, drawn five and lost seven; they’ve scored 13 and conceded 21, and have five points from their last ten games ........... the solitary win, on the second Saturday of the season, saw them beat Clapton Orient 2-1 away ............they’ve also played three Cup games, losing in the EFLCup 3-2 at home to MK Dons, and in the EFLTroffey they lost 4-1 at Plymouth and 2-1 at home to Swansea u21s – P3 L3 ..............Next week they play Alfreton away in the FA Cup; not sure who my money’s on!

They soared to the dizzy heights of 22nd place last season, on 43 points, having not won in their last eleven (which makes it, in total, one League win in their last 24); we went there on the last Monday of March and beat them 2-0 with goals from Billy Whizz and Josh McWindass; in the November we drew 2-2 at home, coming from behind twice thanks to Billy Whizz (again) and Garth-Matt Crookes (!); overall since they came back in to the League in 2013 we’ve played six, winning one, drawing three and losing two (you may remember that they beat us 4-1 on their return to the League)

Winning the Welsh Cup in 1980 saw them qualify for the European Cup-Winners’ Cup (who remembers that?), and their record win in Europe was a 6-0 demolishing of Norwegian side Haugar in Round 2 that November, before going out in the QF to FC Carl Zeiss Jena; they won the old Third Division South (no relation) in 1939, and would have achieved their best-ever position (joint 9th) had the League not been abandoned due to WWII; their promotion saw them spend just the one season in Division 2, although they weren’t actually relegated until the end of 1946/47 season (which has to be some kind of record); having joined the League in 1920, in the new Third Division, they lost their first game 0-1 to Reading; famous ex players include John Aldridge (who they sold in 84 to Oxford for £78,000); ex managers include Len Ashurst, Terry Butcher, Jimmy Mullen and Jimmy Scoular (the balding wing half, if I recall .....................)

All told they have 17 goals in 16 games; GF17 GA30; leading scorers are Sean Rigg with three and WhoAteAllThePies Parkin, with four (I still remember him doing his YFB impression and putting three past us for Fleetwood in March 2013); our leading scorers are Rommy and Billy, each with five.........

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Saturday 29th October; that nice Mr Westley has just gone on record criticising Academy set-ups for not teaching youngsters how to defend properly; apparently, happily, there are signs of improvement (there was room, it must be said) with every game that they play (which doesn’t explain how he’s contrived to lose two and draw one of his games in charge so far) ........ his take on it all is to announce to anyone willing to listen (so that’s no-one then) that

• "There's a sense of purpose to us and anyone watching us would be excited by the play."

................. particularly Forest Green, four points ahead in the Vanarama Conference and hoping for promotion to League Two!

Good Luck to everyone! ................ Keep the Faith!............. And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2016, 22:29   #2

Re: 2016/17 Prediction League; Game 15 v Newport County (home)

Tough game than the table suggests. 1 0 win for stanley
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 22:47   #3
Senior Member+

I think it will be tough, but if Coley has the balls to pick an attacking team then I can see us scoring a hatful. 4-0 for me please (to Stanley of course)

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 00:30   #4
Super Moderator

5-2 to the Stanley please.
Old 28-10-2016, 05:24   #5
Senior Member+

Stanley 1-0 Newport
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 06:19   #6
God Member

Certainly can't afford to take 'em lightly (& that's not a dig at Jon Parkin) . . . .
I reckon we can bag the 3 points though, 2 - 0 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:07   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

3-0 stanley fer me slong as we stick it right up Westley- i aint really bothered by what score.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 28-10-2016, 08:49   #8
God Member

hope we have 90mins. of attacking football which we haven,t seen much of in home league games so far this season. 3-1 to stanley i hope.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:03   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

3-1 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 28-10-2016, 10:44   #10
Full Member+

Stanley 1 - 0 Newport please D3N.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 13:43   #11
Senior Member+

Stanley 2 Newport 1 please D3N.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 17:59   #12

Stanley 1 - Newport 0 will do nicely thank you.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 19:04   #14
Senior Member+

2-1 Acci win
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 19:34   #15
Senior Member+

We're going to have a 3-0 Stanley win!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..