Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Bits & Bobs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/bits-and-bobs-50235.html)

cashman 08-06-2018 19:48

Re: Bits & Bobs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav1d (Post 1214064)
In transfer rumours Bristol city want our billy

Was told Bristol Rovers? doubt very much if it will happen though.

monkey hanger 09-06-2018 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1214067)
Was told Bristol Rovers? doubt very much if it will happen though.

hope you are right cashy. what surprises me is that billy is still with us. goal scorer, good attitude and a tough lad without and arrogance about him. seems a nailed on signing for a club with more money than us.

cashman 09-06-2018 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1214074)
hope you are right cashy. what surprises me is that billy is still with us. goal scorer, good attitude and a tough lad without and arrogance about him. seems a nailed on signing for a club with more money than us.

I'm basing my view on the way hes been handled at accy, with his problem, i may be wrong but i think Billy aint daft and is also loyal.

maccawozzagod 10-06-2018 12:48

I dont think Billy wants to be a professional footballer, he just wants to be paid to play football. Stanley get that, other clubs dont

Twenty Eight 10-06-2018 15:41

Bristol City not remotely interested in Billy.

Dav1d 10-06-2018 17:56

https://twitter.com/andyhholt/status...624245248?s=21

Very very good thread by our chairman on our hole in our budget and how it can be fixed and the thoughts he had on it

Exile on Spencer St 10-06-2018 18:14

Thanks for providing the link, Dav1d.
Andy Holt's a rare beast in the world of football owners, we're lucky to have him.

Dav1d 10-06-2018 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1214096)
Thanks for providing the link, Dav1d.
Andy Holt's a rare beast in the world of football owners, we're lucky to have him.

He’s very open which is another brilliant quality about him. Very lucky he has ASFC at his heart and best interests for the club and the community. In Andy we trust

choirboy 12-06-2018 22:35

Andy Holt is simply the TOP MAN!:alright:

cashman 15-06-2018 08:45

Must say i really like look of next seasons away kit.:)

choirboy 15-06-2018 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1214203)
Must say i really like look of next seasons away kit.:)

I think that the new away kit would make nice Pyjamas for Mrs Choirboy:130:

mab 16-06-2018 13:20

NewsNow: Loading story... NewsNow: Loading story...

mab 16-06-2018 13:32

Why all League One and League Two clubs should aspire to be like Accrington Stanley :) NewsNow: Loading story... :) Stanley chairman Andy Holt on the difficulties of survival for lower league football clubs :) Cracking read

monkey hanger 17-06-2018 08:44

looking at stanley and andy holt the more clubs that are like stanley with owners like andy holt the better the game will be. not me saying this but a hartlepool fan i way talking to last week.

MikeA 27-06-2018 21:54

"As well as Accrington performed last season, there is little expectation that the side will be looking to push on much further". What?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/lu...wizard-winger/

maccawozzagod 27-06-2018 22:12

Theyre kinda right though arent they? As much as we'd like to push on, and as much as we'll try to push on , there wont be an expectation to do so.

Luton are on the other hand, are splashing the cash, will expect to retain their squad and are building a proper new stadium. We're still learning how to sell pies.

Im not knocking what we have, but we're taking baby steps and trying to become a well run, self sufficient club

monkey hanger 28-06-2018 08:57

[QUOTE=maccawozzagod;121455

Luton are on the other hand, are splashing the cash, will expect to retain their squad and are building a proper new stadium. We're still learning how to sell pies.

Im not knocking what we have, but we're taking baby steps and trying to become a well run, self sufficient club[/QUOTE]

luton have always splashed the cash. took em a lot longer than it should have done to get out of the conference spending or wasting millions to do this. seem to be doing it next season but only time will tell if it will work for em. do not mind the so called baby steps as these steps have proved that its working for us at the moment.

mab 08-07-2018 23:27

Good interview's :) Jonny Maxted interview ? Accrington Stanley :) Clark: I can?t wait ? Accrington Stanley :) couple of cracking lads :)

mab 15-07-2018 14:01

Yesterday's friendly 😁
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1275011982

monkey hanger 20-07-2018 14:38

do not do twitter or anything like it but i have heard andy holt has had a spat with gary neville over the fact that AH thinks salford are buying their way into the football league. can anyone who uses twitter confirm this or not.

cashman 20-07-2018 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1214966)
do not do twitter or anything like it but i have heard andy holt has had a spat with gary neville over the fact that AH thinks salford are buying their way into the football league. can anyone who uses twitter confirm this or not.

yep i seen it .

monkey hanger 20-07-2018 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1214967)
yep i seen it .

any idea whats been said. no matter whats been said i know whose side i,m on.

cashman 20-07-2018 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1214969)

Sorry was a few comments from both an me memorys crap.:eek: bet were on the same side.;)

Exile on Spencer St 20-07-2018 18:45

I stay away from Twitter but, given that it seems to generate infantile controversies, the rest of the media seem to live by it today.
According to the BBC Andy Holt suggested Salford FC were buying their way into the League by luring the Aberdeen striker on several thousands/week wages.
Gary Neville responded, no doubt knowing his mates at the BBC would make a story from it, with predictable ripostes. Somehow, GN seemed to think AH was seeking 'franchise' football, which seemed a mystifying accusation.

IMHO, I think AH was silly to get drawn into such a pointless argument. Money has always ruled the game and what Neville and his millionaire mates are doing at Salford is nothing new. At least they have picked on a team at a lower level and are bringing it through the pyramid, rather than buying an existing league club and moving it to Milton Keynes.

Haggis316 20-07-2018 20:51

"

Accrington striker in demand

Accrington Stanley have turned down bids from Rotherham and Peterborough for striker Kayden Jackson, according to reports.

HITC Sport claim that the duo are heavily interested in Stanley's 15-goal striker, while Preston and Ipswich have also made enquiries."

mab 20-07-2018 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1214969)

Gary Neville forced to defend Salford's transfer business | Daily Mail Online

Twenty Eight 20-07-2018 21:00

There are several players in demand and to be fair to the club thus far they are digging their heels in. I'm more worried about the lack of activity in.
Rotherham Preston Ipswich Peterborough Burton all in the queue for Kayden.
The Ipswich one is a concern due to the Hurst connection.

DAV007 20-07-2018 21:02

Talk sport show starting now at 10pm have stated they are trying to get Andy Holt on the air to give his side of the story

Good publicity for the club!

Twenty Eight 20-07-2018 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1214972)
I stay away from Twitter but, given that it seems to generate infantile controversies, the rest of the media seem to live by it today.
According to the BBC Andy Holt suggested Salford FC were buying their way into the League by luring the Aberdeen striker on several thousands/week wages.
Gary Neville responded, no doubt knowing his mates at the BBC would make a story from it, with predictable ripostes. Somehow, GN seemed to think AH was seeking 'franchise' football, which seemed a mystifying accusation.

IMHO, I think AH was silly to get drawn into such a pointless argument. Money has always ruled the game and what Neville and his millionaire mates are doing at Salford is nothing new. At least they have picked on a team at a lower level and are bringing it through the pyramid, rather than buying an existing league club and moving it to Milton Keynes.

Agreed Exile.
I made the point before about Andy's often over exposure and candour on social media and got shot down in flames.
Salford's wealth has nothing to do with us.
If Andy had £50 mill spare would he refuse to sign better players because it wouldn't have been fair on other clubs ? ..............
A franchise is EXACTLY what he's suggesting.
Hand over mouth shout full up.

mab 20-07-2018 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1214976)
There are several players in demand and to be fair to the club thus far they are digging their heels in. I'm more worried about the lack of activity in.
Rotherham Preston Ipswich Peterborough Burton all in the queue for Kayden.
The Ipswich one is a concern due to the Hurst connection.

Rotherham's Bid rejected Rotherham United boss Warne happy to play waiting game after Jackson bid rejected

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...9262781…

Chimer 21-07-2018 06:38

Here's the Neville story from the Beeb …

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44894821

monkey hanger 21-07-2018 08:16

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1214978]
I made the point before about Andy's often over exposure and candour on social media and got shot down in flames.

prefer a chairman and anyone else in football to be candid and not say what people just want to hear them say. i,d rather be shot down in flames myself than just follow what the majority think if i think they are wrong.

Chewbacca 21-07-2018 10:07

It is a shame Holt isn't a Stanley fan or else he would remember Stanley being bank rolled into the league.

AccyMad 21-07-2018 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1214992)
It is a shame Holt isn't a Stanley fan or else he would remember Stanley being bank rolled into the league.

Bank rolled in?? More like getting there on a wing & a prayer :rolleyes:

Inspector Morse 21-07-2018 10:26

Lucky no one in the national media picked up on this yet.

Twenty Eight 21-07-2018 10:48

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1214991]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1214978)

prefer a chairman and anyone else in football to be candid and not say what people just want to hear them say. i,d rather be shot down in flames myself than just follow what the majority think if i think they are wrong.

So what have they done wrong ?
Its not a sin to be wealthy and spend your money how you choose is it ?

Twenty Eight 21-07-2018 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1214994)

Lucky no one in the national media picked up on this yet.

Great point mate.

cashman 21-07-2018 10:50

Gary Neville has always been a big headed pillock, can understand you liking him.:D

Twenty Eight 21-07-2018 13:10

Sorry ?
Who said I like Gary Neville ?
It’s sad that you can call someone that.
You don’t even know me.
Wouldn’t dream of making assumptions about you.

monkey hanger 22-07-2018 08:34

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1214996]
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1214991)

So what have they done wrong ?
Its not a sin to be wealthy and spend your money how you choose is it ?

done nothing wrong legally but if it is the salford spending you are on about it makes a mockery of non league football. do not worry though as some other side who has been in existance for years and have not changed their identity will surely try to copy salford and end up going bust because they cannot compete at the end of the day.

Phil Whalley 22-07-2018 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1214992)

This is unfair on both counts.

Precisely which club Andy Holt grew up watching and/or supporting is a moot point. He is now our owner and one of our highest-profile supporters because he got involved at the margins and in so doing realised the uniqueness of Stanley and what would be lost if it went out of business.

Given that Stanley were playing in front of 300 diehards when Andy was a kid, it suggests to me that the majority of the 1500 or so who now turn up at the Crown on a regular basis have had a similar realisation.

As for being bankrolled into the League, this just isn’t the case given the usual meaning of the term in this context. Stanley did receive two windfalls, but both were football-related. One was the money from the Brett Ormerod transfer to Southampton, and the other was the 2003 FA Cup run, the latter enabling them to go full-time. From thereon in, the club was always struggling to meet the costs of a full-time operation, even before promotion to the League.

Unlike the typical bankrolled operation from the grass roots (Rushden & Diamonds, Crawley, Fleetwood, Forest Green, AFC Fylde, Eastleigh, Salford) reaching the Football League was never the raison d’etre for Stanley. Eric’s stated ambition of reaching the Conference and playing at Wembley seemed to suggest a businessman’s calculation as to what level of football the club could sustain given its support. The Conference win of 2006 wasn’t expected and the club simply wasn’t ready. The celebration of reaching ten years in the League is testament to how difficult it has been. So a long way from a bankrolled operation.

Chewbacca 22-07-2018 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Whalley (Post 1215016)
This is unfair on both counts.

Precisely which club Andy Holt grew up watching and/or supporting is a moot point. He is now our owner and one of our highest-profile supporters because he got involved at the margins and in so doing realised the uniqueness of Stanley and what would be lost if it went out of business.

Given that Stanley were playing in front of 300 diehards when Andy was a kid, it suggests to me that the majority of the 1500 or so who now turn up at the Crown on a regular basis have had a similar realisation.

As for being bankrolled into the League, this just isn’t the case given the usual meaning of the term in this context. Stanley did receive two windfalls, but both were football-related. One was the money from the Brett Ormerod transfer to Southampton, and the other was the 2003 FA Cup run, the latter enabling them to go full-time. From thereon in, the club was always struggling to meet the costs of a full-time operation, even before promotion to the League.

Unlike the typical bankrolled operation from the grass roots (Rushden & Diamonds, Crawley, Fleetwood, Forest Green, AFC Fylde, Eastleigh, Salford) reaching the Football League was never the raison d’etre for Stanley. Eric’s stated ambition of reaching the Conference and playing at Wembley seemed to suggest a businessman’s calculation as to what level of football the club could sustain given its support. The Conference win of 2006 wasn’t expected and the club simply wasn’t ready. The celebration of reaching ten years in the League is testament to how difficult it has been. So a long way from a bankrolled operation.

Stanley started getting 3,000 coming up to the 2006 promotion and Holt wasn't a fan then.

When you see the players Stanley were signing and the premier league loans etc it was clear money was being pumped in for the promotion going from 10th to 10 points clear at the top, and the BO money would not have touched the sides as stanley accepted less so he would be sold, so about £2/250k? which is nothing.

Stanley were never going to make it out of the NPL without money, never mind into the league, as I don't think any club ever does. Everyone in football knows this but Holt.

mab 22-07-2018 20:02

:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVVJ...Xc0Djwy8fwEzZP :)

mab 22-07-2018 20:11

:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNj...fwEzZP&index=7 :)

monkey hanger 23-07-2018 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1215032)

nice to hear a couple of blokes talking sense about football. pity some on the tele. cannot do it.

cashman 23-07-2018 08:15

Thought Traore was a magnificent talent, a joy to watch.

LongLostSon 27-07-2018 16:08

confined to my armchair with a bug, I took to browsing a few old progs I have retained. Looking at the table published in the Aldershot away game in 1962 : of the other 23 clubs only 1 (Millwall) are playing in a higher league than us this season : 4 we will be meeting : 7 will play L2 and 11 are now somewhere in the non-league pyramid. Little ol Accy, eh ! C'mon U Redddddds. Where's me tablets ?
'

cashman 27-07-2018 16:35

Reckon thats a very interesting stat well done, hope yer well soon.;)

monkey hanger 28-07-2018 08:37

[QUOTE=LongLostSon 11 are now somewhere in the non-league pyramid. Little ol Accy, eh ! C'mon U Redddddds. Where's me tablets ?
'[/QUOTE]

took stanley 44 years to get back. others like barrow and bradford park avenue have been out of the league longer and have never been close to getting back. be surprised if clubs like stockport or halifax will ever get back in my lifetime either. accy not that little.

cashman 30-07-2018 08:24

Sean Mac has signed a new 3 year deal, that can only be a good thing for the squad to see imho.

MikeA 01-08-2018 07:09

Decent article in the Daily Telegraph:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ised-land-not/

AccyMad 01-08-2018 08:28

Good article but sorry, I don't agree about the sign being taken down - to me & a lot of other fans that 'slogan' means a hell of a lot, I certainly never saw it as a negative but as part of who we are. The sign itself might be a bit battered & jaded now but to me it deserved to be restored & put in pride of place, what's that chant again 'We'll never forget' . . . . . .

monkey hanger 01-08-2018 08:46

one thing about the ground that should never change ever is that sign. when all of us are dead and buried it must remain for future generations of fans and players to remember.

maccawozzagod 01-08-2018 11:37

Id like to see it kept as well, pride of place on the wall facing you as you enter the Clayton End turnstiles

ferret man 01-08-2018 12:54

Keep the sign its about the fighting spirit that is Accrington Stanley.

cashman 01-08-2018 13:45

That sign should still be here when all of us aint simple as. As far as i'm concerned J.C. says he didn't like it! well many of the older fans loved it and it meant a great deal to them some have now gone, I reckon he should think again after all hes been here a long time, but thats nowt to the time some fans have,

ferret man 01-08-2018 15:49

Hey Coley leave our sign alone all in all its just a few words on the wall.

choirboy 01-08-2018 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeA (Post 1215351)
Decent article in the Daily Telegraph:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ised-land-not/

So.........is it £750k for Janoi Donacien or £1.25Million?:idunno:
That's half a million difference!
:bigglasse

stanleyhouse 01-08-2018 18:15

The sign was taken down last year. It says redvolution now.

AccyMad 01-08-2018 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleyhouse (Post 1215369)

I know it's been down for a while, the article got it wrong saying it had been taken down over the summer, I believe it's now on Buzzer's shed or at least it was.
Sorry but 'Redvolution' doesn't cut it for me

cashman 01-08-2018 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleyhouse (Post 1215369)

Think most people know that, fact is it should be restored and put back where it belongs. be hard for you to understand.:rolleyes:

sherry 01-08-2018 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1215371)
Think most people know that, fact is it should be restored and put back where it belongs. be hard for you to understand.:rolleyes:

Sorry Cashy, have to disagree. Stanleyhouse is one of those who would understand most. He was just stating what the sign says now.

cashman 01-08-2018 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry (Post 1215376)
Sorry Cashy, have to disagree. Stanleyhouse is one of those who would understand most. He was just stating what the sign says now.

If thats what was meant then i apologise, but only he will know that.

stanleyhouse 01-08-2018 21:32

When I did ground tours I always showed people the sign and took photos of them underneath It. It always felt it was our "This is Anfield". One day I went to the sign and it had disappeared. I was shocked to say the least. It meant a lot to me and epitomized our journey.
I'm glad Buzzer rescued it. I suppose it's the ... "wouldn't die sign that wouldn't die"

AccyMad 02-08-2018 07:49

I thought no this calls for a restoration campaign - spoke to Andy Holt about it last season but he was a little busy at the time, time to step it up?

cashman 02-08-2018 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1215399)
I thought no this calls for a restoration campaign - spoke to Andy Holt about it last season but he was a little busy at the time, time to step it up?

Have another try Di.

Twenty Eight 02-08-2018 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1215368)
So.........is it £750k for Janoi Donacien or £1.25Million?:idunno:
That's half a million difference!
:bigglasse

Telegraph have got it wrong.

monkey hanger 02-08-2018 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1215365)
That sign should still be here when all of us aint simple as. As far as i'm concerned J.C. says he didn't like it! well many of the older fans loved it and it meant a great deal to them some have now gone, I reckon he should think again after all hes been here a long time, but thats nowt to the time some fans have,

managers and players come and go but fans are for the long term. it means a lot even for an incomer like myself never mind those born and bred in the town and part of the towns history and culture not to be placed on the scrap heap. its not just a sign its the words on it.

yonmon 02-08-2018 09:53

Thinking in terms of a Replacement/ No 2 Goalkeeper for the coming season. It would appear, after careful research, that Bertrand 'Bert ' Bossu is, in spite of pushing 38 years of age, keen to make a return to English football.

He is , if French soccer gossip is to be believed, eager to reintroduce his goalkeeping skills to those on the terraces up and down the land,who might have missed his efforts during his previous appearances between the sticks for The Reds... and one or two other teams.

A reappearance at The Wham might just allow those who held some misconceptions regarding his goalkeeping abilities to reexamine their opinions surrounding this 'homme excellent ! '...

So in the interests of entente cordiale.... ??.

( This post was stimulated by a short discussion with Alfred.E, and in no way reflects the opinions of yours truly .)

ON STANLEY ! ON TO GREATER THINGS !!. :

maccawozzagod 02-08-2018 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1215399)

Begin the Redvolution Diane!

Candlelit Vigil?

AccyMad 02-08-2018 11:45

Maybe not quite that far Rob but someone needs to have words in someone's shell-like methinks :)

AccyMad 02-08-2018 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonmon (Post 1215410)
Thinking in terms of a Replacement/ No 2 Goalkeeper for the coming season. It would appear, after careful research, that Bertrand 'Bert ' Bossu is, in spite of pushing 38 years of age, keen to make a return to English football.

He is , if French soccer gossip is to be believed, eager to reintroduce his goalkeeping skills to those on the terraces up and down the land,who might have missed his efforts during his previous appearances between the sticks for The Reds... and one or two other teams.

A reappearance at The Wham might just allow those who held some misconceptions regarding his goalkeeping abilities to reexamine their opinions surrounding this 'homme excellent ! '...

So in the interests of entente cordiale.... ??.

( This post was stimulated by a short discussion with Alfred.E, and in no way reflects the opinions of yours truly .)

ON STANLEY ! ON TO GREATER THINGS !!. :

It's a little early for a tipple isn't it Alan :)

mab 14-08-2018 18:44

Carabao Cup RULE CHANGES
The 2018/19 Carabao Cup will look a little bit different to past editions. Here are the rule changes for this year's competition...
Extra-time has been scrapped in all rounds except for the final in a bid to "reduce fatigue issues".
Any tie that finishes level at full-time will head straight to penalties and the ABBA system has been ditched, meaning spot-kicks will be taken in the traditional format.
Seeding has been removed for the first two rounds, though the first round has remained organised on a regional basis.
VAR will also be used in the competition - but only for matches played at Premier League grounds.

maccawozzagod 15-08-2018 11:50

Our first XI backline is almost entirely new and needs to gel, cant understand the resting of them last night. Sykes especially needs to be playing every minute possible and wouldve benefitted from that. 3 of the back 4 hadnt played a competitive 90 all year and got a rinsing from a strong Mansfield attack. Move along, not much to see here

cashman 15-08-2018 13:34

I thought Sykes should have played, all that lad needs to me is more experience.

DAV007 22-08-2018 18:51

Gillingham look brilliant

cashman 22-08-2018 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1216529)
Gillingham look brilliant

Aye only 3-1 down lol

AccyMad 22-08-2018 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1216530)
Aye only 3-1 down lol

Make it 4. :)

cashman 22-08-2018 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1216533)
Make it 4. :)

Aye they aint that brilliant.:D We must be exceptional then we got 1 Pt more.

mab 23-08-2018 22:38

:) https://southportfc.net/signing-ogle-joins-on-loan/ :)

Exile on Spencer St 24-08-2018 08:39

Good luck to Reagan at Southport. The brief times I saw him I thought he looked like a sound player. Certainly could take a terrific throw-in, as good as a corner when level with their penalty area.

AccyMad 24-08-2018 10:05

So Scunthorpe have sacked their manager, only 4 games in - crackers if you ask me :rolleyes:

monkey hanger 25-08-2018 09:09

maybe they did not want him anyway. we do not know what actually goes on behind the scenes at stanley never mind scunthorpe. on the face of it though clubs who do stuff like this deserve what they get. are westley and pardew still without jobs.

cashman 25-08-2018 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1216649)
maybe they did not want him anyway. we do not know what actually goes on behind the scenes at stanley never mind scunthorpe. on the face of it though clubs who do stuff like this deserve what they get. are westley and pardew still without jobs.

Hopefully they are on the dole.;)

AccyMad 26-08-2018 18:54

Another one bites the dust, Notts County have sacked Kevin Nolan after a run of six defeats

mab 27-08-2018 10:39

Check this out nice read :) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ee-us-journey/ :)

cashman 27-08-2018 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1216720)

In fairness its a damn good read.:)

Lord Stiffupperlip 27-08-2018 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mab (Post 1216720)

Well spotted mab!
That article sums up perfectly the reasons behind our recent success.
Andy Holt, John Coleman & Jimmy Bell - drive, ambition & common sense.
Who knows where this winning combination will take us?
:alright:

mab 27-08-2018 12:46

:) Education is key for Stanley boss Coleman | Lancashire Telegraph :)

AccyMad 27-08-2018 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1216601)
So Scunthorpe have sacked their manager, only 4 games in - crackers if you ask me :rolleyes:

They must've known who they wanted to take over - they've appointed Stuart McCall

monkey hanger 28-08-2018 10:17

be interested to see if they improve but whoever takes over at notts county will have an easier task as they cannot get any lower.

anmc 28-08-2018 16:35

Not sure where else to post this. Today at lunch time there was a funeral leaving Champs in Clayton. One of the floral tributes said "ASFC Steward" does anyone know who this was?

AccyMad 28-08-2018 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by anmc (Post 1216775)
Not sure where else to post this. Today at lunch time there was a funeral leaving Champs in Clayton. One of the floral tributes said "ASFC Steward" does anyone know who this was?

It was a man called Norman Blackburn, he's been a steward at Stanley for quite a long time

anmc 28-08-2018 19:04

Thanks for letting me know. RIP. I will add him to my prayers tonight.

AccyMad 31-08-2018 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1216697)
Another one bites the dust, Notts County have sacked Kevin Nolan after a run of six defeats

See he's been replaced by Harry Kewell!! Once again, County think a good ex-player will make a good manager - ???

Twenty Eight 01-09-2018 13:42

How many Managers in the league aren’t ex players ?????

Exile on Spencer St 01-09-2018 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1216939)

The question is how many were GOOD ex-players.
Many of the best managers were mediocre players, Dalgleish being one exception.

choirboy 02-09-2018 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1216939)

I think I remember one José Mourinho playing a couple of games in
the old Accy Combination on Highams a couple of decades ago!
:dummy:

Exile on Spencer St 02-09-2018 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1216999)
I think I remember one José Mourinho playing a couple of games in
the old Accy Combination on Highams a couple of decades ago!
:dummy:

You mean 'Muddy Knees' Mourinho? :rolleyes:

Twenty Eight 02-09-2018 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1216947)
The question is how many were GOOD ex-players.
Many of the best managers were mediocre players, Dalgleish being one exception.

Well thats a matter of opinion.
It also depends what you mean by mediocre.
If you played for your Country you were hardly ****.
I thought Nolan was a great pro and Kewell was decent.
The best non playing Manager ever for me was Laurie MCMenemy but he had a military background.