Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   The King is gone = new management, who? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/the-king-is-gone-new-management-who-60467.html)

Thin Monkey 22-01-2012 21:35

The King is gone = new management, who?

With King Coley (and Sir Jimmy) on the way to Dale. Who should the new manager be?

smobile 22-01-2012 21:38

Re: The King is dead......

Phil staley

baldy 22-01-2012 21:46

Paul Cook

Redash 22-01-2012 21:47

football19, has the nouse, I would give him a chance until the end of the season.

Div3North 22-01-2012 21:49

As of tonight we've got a manager. How about you re-post this thread as, when and if he goes?

cmonstanley 22-01-2012 22:20

i think hes going.:( but hope he stays .

cmonstanley 22-01-2012 22:24

if the rumours are true about wolves theres mick mcarthy for a replacement:eek::D

johnc 22-01-2012 23:22

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image..._james_203.jpg
:alright:

alan7554 23-01-2012 04:48

for gods sake,shut up moaning about if jc goes,this man has given 10 years loyal service to ASFC and has got us where we are today,if he has got a chance to go to a higher level(if you can call Rochdale F.C. a higher level) then good look to the man.he wil always be JOHN COLEMAN LEGEND.

Fourth official 23-01-2012 07:45

IF he does go,and we all hope he doesn't,the club needs a plan in place for continuity.Do you think we have?,as at the last home game we couldn't even get the pitch covered !!

Stanleymad 23-01-2012 07:53

Re: The King is going......

Title is changed as its offensive really especially as no one died, no objections to discussing the relms of after if he should go - thats quite realistic to discuss in theoreticals atm cos thats a legitimate question to ask or ponder.

football19 23-01-2012 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redash (Post 964183)
football19, has the nouse, I would give him a chance until the end of the season.

Acci couldnt afford me !!!!:)

Thin Monkey 23-01-2012 12:35

For me there's one obvious candidate, I hope that Rob and Ilyas have already had a word in his shell like ,told Mark Patterson to think very carefully before accepting any offer to join Coley at Rochdale, and that the Stanley manager's job is his if he wants it.

We need someone who understands our unique club and, like Coley, can turn all the negatives (Lowest budget, Worst Stadium, Tatty changing rooms etc.) into positives which bind the team together. Patterson must be the best placed man to do that.

I thought he was shocking as a player but, since his arrival as coach in 2010, we've suddenly developed the ability to defend, after years of leaking goals like a sieve.

Thin Monkey 23-01-2012 12:36

smobile 23-01-2012 12:39

MIke marsh?

smudgie 23-01-2012 12:59

Paul Cook for me. Knows the club, knows the fans and has had success with Sligo, IF Coley goes!!!!

smobile 23-01-2012 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 964291)
Paul Cook for me. Knows the club, knows the fans and has had success with Sligo, IF Coley goes!!!!

Good Shout.

maccawozzagod 23-01-2012 14:39

Paul Cook would be the favourite I reckon, BUT, I'd imagine that Sligo would be reasonably well paid as one of the best jobs in Ireland. That would come down to ambition and whether he wants a shop window job back in England.

For me I'd want someone young and ambitious, with fairly good contacts around the North West. He'd need to understand our club, would need to be fairly cheap, would need to be liked by the fans and would need the ability to polish turds (this weeks saying i think) - all attributes that Coley had in abundance when he arrived 12 years ago. That man today, for me, is Liam Watson at Southport.

Patterson's a good shout though.

But Coley staying would be far better.

lancsdave 23-01-2012 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 964315)
For me I'd want someone young and ambitious, with fairly good contacts around the North West. He'd need to understand our club, would need to be fairly cheap, would need to be liked by the fans and would need the ability to polish turds (this weeks saying i think) - all attributes that Coley had in abundance when he arrived 12 years ago. .

Does Championship Reserve level experience count if you fill the above criteria ? ;)

maccawozzagod 23-01-2012 15:14

no, and neither does running the line in the North West Counties :)

ROCHDALEAFC1 23-01-2012 15:17

Plenty of good, experienced managers out of work currently.

Lost in Cornwall 23-01-2012 15:31

I wouldn't want any of the league has beens. Somebody up and coming, Patterson, Watson or Flitcroft & Jansen aren't doing a bad job at Chorley.

lancsdave 23-01-2012 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 964342)
no, and neither does running the line in the North West Counties :)

I wasn't putting me forward, unless they want a boot cleaner :)

stanley convert 23-01-2012 15:37

My concern is who will take charge on saturday if as we all expect JB will follow to the dale !!!!!!!!!!!!!

smobile 23-01-2012 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley convert (Post 964375)
My concern is who will take charge on saturday if as we all expect JB will follow to the dale !!!!!!!!!!!!!

would have probably been Proccy

lancsdave 23-01-2012 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley convert (Post 964375)

I would guess Patterson and/or Phil Hackney

harwood red 23-01-2012 16:00

I would've loved to see Jimmy move up to full Management, he knows how things are at Accy and I think he would make a fab passionate manager

stanley convert 23-01-2012 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 964392)
I would've loved to see Jimmy move up to full Management, he knows how things are at Accy and I think he would make a fab passionate manager

My thoughts EXACTLY.

cashman 23-01-2012 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 964392)

That would be great, probably we got more chance of platting snot though.

AsFc62 23-01-2012 16:19

New Manager Thread....

Though I'd get it started as it looks almost 100% certain John & Jimmy have moved on. Im devastated.

Time doesnt stop. Life Goes on.

So who next.

Do we go for an ex player who has no experience or do we look at someone whose got managerial experience (if we could attract anyone that is).

For me a nice little team built around Paul Cook would do. Mike Marsh. Paul Mullin. Mark Patterson.

smudgie 23-01-2012 16:22

Re: New Manager Thread....

Well said mate............... Remember people "This Is the club that refused to die"

Favourite for me is Paul Cook, he knows the club, the fans and has won it with Sligo.

Stanleymad 23-01-2012 16:23

already got a thread open on this topic merged thread & changed title as news has changed & to make it easier to find the topic

stanley convert 23-01-2012 16:24

Still find this hard to believe I think if it had been a club in the top of league one or the championship that had lured JC away it would have been an easier pill to swallow.

I have no doubt that Rochdale have ambition but are in deep trouble at the foot of lge 1 and I hope for JC,s sake it don,t come back and bite him.

JC4LAB 23-01-2012 16:32

Re: The King is gone = new management, who?

Paul Ince

harwood red 23-01-2012 16:35

if paul ince came I would be out of the door quicker then usain bolt!!

smudgie 23-01-2012 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley convert (Post 964418)
Still find this hard to believe I think if it had been a club in the top of league one or the championship that had lured JC away it would have been an easier pill to swallow.

I have no doubt that Rochdale have ambition but are in deep trouble at the foot of lge 1 and I hope for JC,s sake it don,t come back and bite him.

Let's look at the bigger picture though mate, Dale maybe near the bottom of League One, BUT they a club with FAR better facilities than our own.

Our ground, training facilities and almost non-existent playing budget has meant Coley has had to perform Miracles over the last 5 season's to even keep us in League 2.

For me, it looks a difficult decision, but an obvious one.

smudgie 23-01-2012 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 964423)

On our wages, :alright::alright::alright::alright::alright:

Haha

harwood red 23-01-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 964425)
On our wages, :alright::alright::alright::alright::alright:

Haha

or should I say if paul ince came my season ticket would be up on ebay pretty darn quick

Stanleymad 23-01-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 964423)

He'll be a battered one still unfinished business after what he did!:mad:

harwood red 23-01-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanleymad (Post 964429)
He'll be a battered one still unfinished business after what he did!:mad:

completely agree, he is a disgrace of a man!

maccawozzagod 23-01-2012 16:42

ha ha. ince my arse

it would be good for the town if we got any kind of a 'name' but it won't happen. There'd be half a chance of someone coming who doesn't need the money, but they want assurances that they can have £x transfer budget, and bring an entourage with them.

you can bring an assistant
no-one else
National minimum wage assured
transfer budget of peanuts (roasted or salted available)
no office but you can use any of the tables in the clubhouse
wage budget of crisps, but only multi packs from Aldi
Scouse speaker preferred as no translators at the club
largest training facilities in the League - the world's your oyster, take your pick from any of the municipal parks in the county of Lancashire

Stanleymad 23-01-2012 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 964432)
completely agree, he is a disgrace of a man!

Hes not a man............a little mouse that likes to bully his way thro! Definately not ince, be one way to lose the loyal:(

Kiwi John 23-01-2012 16:49

As I mentioned a couple of years back, Bobby Gould told me he would love to do it. Now I'm not suggesting he should be considered for the job (I actually think he's a ******) but it does show that people who have achieved a degree of success in the game are quite prepaired to manage a little club like Stanley if it means being involved in the Football League.

Gutted about Coley though...

lancsdave 23-01-2012 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsFc62 (Post 964414)
For me a nice little team built around Paul Cook would do. Mike Marsh. Paul Mullin. Mark Patterson.

As I was hinting earlier I'd add Ashley Hoskin to that mix. :)

Pendle Red 23-01-2012 16:55

The Board have got their work cut out with whoever becomes the next Stanley manager

JC & JB have grown with the Club and to a degree probably outgrown the Club taking us up through the Football Pyramid whilst the Club has being trying to keep up with improving facilities, squads, budgets etc.

This Club is very much at a crossroads and this next appointment will shape our destiny not just for the here & now but possibly for years to come.

Coley & Jimmy have left a legacy and the Board needs to ensure that carries on

We need to sell a dream one that an incoming manager can help shape and keep the momentum moving forward, there may be financial constraints but we have something a lot of other teams would give their hind teeth for in that we are an established Football League Club that is very much in Stanley's favour in being one of only 92.

It's a very big decision and one that I hope they get very good guidance on.

mab 23-01-2012 16:58

:) I think Phil Hackney should do a caretakers job untill a suitable candidate is chosen,simple reason he nos the player and they no him with Coid and Hughes, to help him on team selection :)

maccawozzagod 23-01-2012 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 964438)
As I was hinting earlier I'd add Ashley Hoskin to that mix. :)

YES to that one!!!

two foot two, eyes are blue :dancedog:

now where's me bandwagon?

Stanleymad 23-01-2012 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccawozzagod (Post 964449)
YES to that one!!!

two foot two, eyes are blue :dancedog:

now where's me bandwagon?

Im with Hoskin idea too:alright:

AccyAggro 23-01-2012 17:20

A sad day to be an accy fan, having to discuss a replacement for king coley.

Paul Cook would be good with his success across the pond.

ddevil2006 23-01-2012 17:25

im sure mr khan and mr heys have got load's of irons in the fire, if were short im sure eric would do a job for a few month

lancsdave 23-01-2012 17:27

[quote=ddevil2006;964461if were short im sure eric would do a job for a few month[/quote]

In that case I'm definatley glad my linesmans days are over :D

smudgie 23-01-2012 17:31

Id rather be DEAD than that see that fool at the Crown ever again !

shakermaker 23-01-2012 17:39

Paul Cook must be number one on the list as far as I'm concerned.

Pato for caretaker (if he isn't taken to Dale) until an approach can be made.

stanley nick 23-01-2012 17:43

In the interim someone within maybe Liam Richardson

But I would go with Jim Harvey Current Stalybridge Manager Ex Morecambe Manager

He knows the non league market/lower division market

LongLostSon 23-01-2012 17:43

see on sky sports news that Preston coach David Unsworth has 'left with immediate effect' - didn't someone say Rob Heys was supposedly watching Proccyat Preston last Saturday !

maccawozzagod 23-01-2012 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongLostSon (Post 964474)
see on sky sports news that Preston coach David Unsworth has 'left with immediate effect' - didn't someone say Rob Heys was supposedly watching Proccyat Preston last Saturday !

conspiracy ahoy :alright:

lancsdave 23-01-2012 17:50

Quote:

I don't think it was anything more than Rob watching Proccy. Can't see Unsworth making a good manager to be honest.

LongLostSon 23-01-2012 17:55

surely Unsworth's not fell out with the new boss there already !

Larry Lobster 23-01-2012 17:56

David Unsworth and Graham Alexander would be a dream ticket for both them and Stanley in my opinion. They stood in after Phil Orange got sacked and with the club in utter turmoil, pulled out 8 points from 5 games. Not a staggering total but they steadied the ship only for Westley to capsize it again on Saturday.

I'd love to see those two get a crack at the Stanley job.

stanley convert 23-01-2012 17:56

Quote:

Mmmmmm the plot thickens, Unsworth and Alexander might be just the men for the job.

Pendle Red 23-01-2012 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 964477)
I don't think it was anything more than Rob watching Proccy. Can't see Unsworth making a good manager to be honest.

Maybe the other half of that particular caretaker duo could as well as still doing a job in the back four?

lancsdave 23-01-2012 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendle Red (Post 964486)
Maybe the other half of that particular caretaker duo could as well as still doing a job in the back four?

I suspect it's that half of it that carried Preston through the past few weeks, he wouldn't be a bad choice. Put him in with Hoskin :)

shakermaker 23-01-2012 18:06

We must not get a journeyman basement league manager, that's for sure. Paul Simpson, Peter Jackson, et al - this means you. Please stay away.

Nor do we want fresh-out-of the game unproven ex-pros as mentioned in this thread.

Paul Cook is the only one that springs to my mind.

It does concern me that there is not a footballing input on the board. We have missed that since the departure of the great Phil Terry & Co.

football19 23-01-2012 18:07

Simple really, don't change much,Patto in charge till end of season with Hughes and Liam assisting.
Saves the club money and gives them breathing space to make the right appointment.
Liam as a long shot,as he knows the club and has his badges

fc:stanley 23-01-2012 18:09

Like the sound of hughes in a managing role!

Brierls 23-01-2012 18:13

Ian Thomas-Moore is talking Daddy's chances up on Twitter. Please, please, please do not go anywhere near Paul Simpson, no matter how well he comes across.

lancsdave 23-01-2012 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brierls (Post 964503)
Ian Thomas-Moore is talking Daddy's chances up on Twitter. .

You've got to be joking :mad:

AccyAggro 23-01-2012 18:16

Whoever mentioned jim harvey has got to be joking!

lancsdave 23-01-2012 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 964492)
We must not get a journeyman basement league manager, that's for sure. Paul Simpson, Peter Jackson, et al - this means you. Please stay away.

Nor do we want fresh-out-of the game unproven ex-pros as mentioned in this thread.

Paul Cook is the only one that springs to my mind.

It does concern me that there is not a footballing input on the board. We have missed that since the departure of the great Phil Terry & Co.

Cooky turned down St Johnstone in October because they couldn't offer him the right terms. Is it fair to presue their terms would be better than Stanley could offer, or would sentiment and the chance to manage in a proper football league give some leeway ?

shakermaker 23-01-2012 18:18

This always confuses me with football fans.

"He's a great player, we love him, and he's getting on now! Make him manager! I don't care if he has no managerial experience... Get him!"

No.

cashman 23-01-2012 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 964495)
Simple really, don't change much,Patto in charge till end of season with Hughes and Liam assisting.
Saves the club money and gives them breathing space to make the right appointment.
Liam as a long shot,as he knows the club and has his badges

Quote:

Originally Posted by fc:stanley (Post 964499)
Like the sound of hughes in a managing role!

Like that idea n think its worth a punt. Patto fer rest of season,then take it from there. also gives the assistants time to develop or not, But can i ask is it a definite Jimmy is also going? there's bin no mention from Rob Heys comment,:confused: still no surprise yon.

shakermaker 23-01-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 964506)
Cooky turned down St Johnstone in October because they couldn't offer him the right terms. Is it fair to presue their terms would be better than Stanley could offer, or would sentiment and the chance to manage in a proper football league give some leeway ?

I don't think they're in a much petter position than us financially, are they? I don't know, but "the chance to manage in a proper football league" is exactly the reason why I think he'd go for it. That, along with having coached at the club before and knowing what we're capable of.

I really can't see who'd be a better fit.

Tin Monkey 23-01-2012 18:23

In the words of Phil Staley, any manager must have a big black book of contacts. That book is only built up with experience and developing strong contacts. That's the kind of manager we now need, not some unproven 'up-and-comer'.

The problem is, can we afford to pay the wages of that kind of manager and would they want to come anyway?

I'd consider a younger, but experienced non-league manager. One with a book of contacts and the hunger to move onwards and upwards.

lancsdave 23-01-2012 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 964510)
I don't think they're in a much petter position than us financially, are they? I don't know, but "the chance to manage in a proper football league" is exactly the reason why I think he'd go for it. That, along with having coached at the club before and knowing what we're capable of.

I really can't see who'd be a better fit.

I've no idea how much Scottish clubs pay either. Can't see anybody outside the top 2 paying much I guess

Cooky has 1 year left on his contract from what I can see, compo won't be much :)

shakermaker 23-01-2012 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 964511)
I'd consider a younger, but experienced non-league manager. One with a book of contacts and the hunger to move onwards and upwards.

Nicky Law?

football19 23-01-2012 18:27

Jimmy is defo going,shaker,why is it a bad idea to promote within?,keep the success and playing style going.Bring in a stranger,who brings his own lads in,changes our style,and don't forget,most of them are unemployed for a reason!

shakermaker 23-01-2012 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 964517)
Jimmy is defo going,shaker,why is it a bad idea to promote within?,keep the success and playing style going.Bring in a stranger,who brings his own lads in,changes our style,and don't forget,most of them are unemployed for a reason!

I have no problem with people like Richardson assisting Pato until the end of the season, it's beyond this term that I'm talking about really.

Tin Monkey's post made me think of another name, as I replied with. Nicky Law would be a gamble, but he's impressed in the non-league game.

Still think the position is made for Cook though.

smudgie 23-01-2012 18:31

I agree Cooky, Perfect appointment.

Tin Monkey 23-01-2012 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 964518)
Tin Monkey's post made me think of another name, as I replied with. Nicky Law would be a gamble, but he's impressed in the non-league game.

I hadn't thought of an actual name Shaker, but that's the kind of person I mean. He did a decent job at Chesterfield under difficult circumstances and you'd think he'd be hungry for another shot. It'd be a risk though, as you say.

Promoting from within is a possibility. Whilst appointing Bentley at Morecambe hasn't set the world on fire, he's not doing a bad job and he's made some decent signings.

football19 23-01-2012 18:39

Is this the Paul cook who once played at Wigan years ago?,I am not in a position to comment on his management potential,but is he upto speed on second division players/teams/styles etc...,if so then he's worth considerations

Tin Monkey 23-01-2012 18:41

What about Gary Flitcroft? You heard it here first! ;)

cashman 23-01-2012 18:41

After Coley n Jimmy any appointment is a risk in my book, which is why i prefer it from within until seasons end, then take it from there.:)

lancsdave 23-01-2012 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 964525)
Is this the Paul cook who once played at Wigan years ago?,

Twice :)

nige b 23-01-2012 18:45

There's always Westley made a bad start at Preston and he would evidently fit our club like a glove!

lancsdave 23-01-2012 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by nige b (Post 964531)
There's always Westley made a bad start at Preston and he would evidently fit our club like a glove!

You need one of these :hidewall:

nige b 23-01-2012 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 964532)
You need one of these :hidewall:

and probably one of those big Elmer Fudd guns;)

Pendle Red 23-01-2012 19:35

Any manager still under contract may fall into the compensation bracket?

pud 23-01-2012 19:43

Unsworth has left Preston (local contacts) but is inexperienced

stetrovers 23-01-2012 19:55

Mark Patterson is no good with or without money, he was once declared bankrupt. Was a brilliant player for the Rovers...

nige b 23-01-2012 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by stetrovers (Post 964568)
Mark Patterson is no good with or without money, he was once declared bankrupt. Was a brilliant player for the Rovers...

What on earth have his personal circumstances got to do with managing Stanley albeit on a short term basis when he will not have control of the purse strings

football19 23-01-2012 20:13

Agree nige,very strange post

Redash 23-01-2012 20:15

Quote:

What's that got to do with anything, do you know the circumstances? maybe he just had a bit of bad luck.

I don't suppose you're a credit broker by any chance.

Wynonie Harris 23-01-2012 20:18

Quote:

Perhaps Coley wouldn't be going if he'd had a bigger budget for players and perhaps he'd have had a bigger budget if more Accrington residents had turned up to support Stanley instead of going off to watch football clubs in other towns. :rolleyes:

Pendle Red 23-01-2012 20:38

Sammy McIlroy could be an interesting choice?

Plenty of experience at this level and did a decent job at the Shrimps and Macc

Alvin the chipmunk 23-01-2012 20:43

Eric Whalley.

maccawozzagod 23-01-2012 20:46

1000 washers a week?

Alvin the chipmunk 23-01-2012 20:46

1500 and you get Mick Schultz as assistant.

stanley convert 23-01-2012 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendle Red (Post 964606)
Sammy McIlroy could be an interesting choice?

Plenty of experience at this level and did a decent job at the Shrimps and Macc

Interesting call Pendle that one never crossed my my mind.

mab 23-01-2012 21:29

Banding names about is all well and good,but whats on offer to any new manager ie a war chest for new players!!! Highly unlikely imho:( having to work with the status quo,might not be the best way to attract the right candidate. your thoughts:)

ToffeeGuy 23-01-2012 21:34

Micky Mellon. If he is prepared to move to a club with less money.