Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Playoff Leg 1 - Away at Wimbledon (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/playoff-leg-1-away-at-wimbledon-68263.html)

Tom D 10-05-2016 11:51

Playoff Leg 1 - Away at Wimbledon

I literally cannot wait for Saturday. Already starting to get excited! It's a real opportunity for something special to happen, and create history for our club.

If any team and manager are capable of putting a disappointing result behind them, it's Stanley and Coley.

In terms of the team, if Brown is fit, I would put him back in the starting line up. Slightly more controversially, I would also start Shay instead of Josh. Any thoughts?

Regardless of the team that starts, I'm feeling quietly confident we can get a great result. Just need to find somewhere local to watch the game, can't afford the time to travel down and back to London.

trucker white 10-05-2016 15:16

Re: Playoff Leg 1 - Away at Wimbledon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom D (Post 1168295)
I literally cannot wait for Saturday. Already starting to get excited! It's a real opportunity for something special to happen, and create history for our club.

If any team and manager are capable of putting a disappointing result behind them, it's Stanley and Coley.

In terms of the team, if Brown is fit, I would put him back in the starting line up. Slightly more controversially, I would also start Shay instead of Josh. Any thoughts?

Regardless of the team that starts, I'm feeling quietly confident we can get a great result. Just need to find somewhere local to watch the game, can't afford the time to travel down and back to London.

Well Stanley have the away leg advantage , so if they can come away with a positive result on Saturday , they'll have it nailed on . As a north end fan, we were in the same situation , almost identical last season & nailed it . Just gotta believe . Good luck Stanley

Chewbacca 10-05-2016 19:54

This playing home second isn't much of an advantage to Stanley, from Feb onwards the majority of home games have been draws, yet the last 5 away shave been won.

0-1 away 1-1 at home I reckon, just sneak through.

I find it odd the Baugley and Brooklands Manchester City supporters club coach is used outside the Emirates to promote stanley away travel :)

cashman 10-05-2016 20:20

I reckon 1-0 stanley yon, n 0-0 at home.

ossy kid 11-05-2016 00:01

And who can argue with the champeen? but I'll go for 0-2 away and 1-0 at home both for Stanley.

monkey hanger 11-05-2016 08:39

go for the usual 1 all draw at Wimbledon. hope it doesn,t end up going to penalties next Wednesday, I don,t think my body could stand up to that.

KiTChener 11-05-2016 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1168332)

I find it odd the Baugley and Brooklands Manchester City supporters club coach is used outside the Emirates to promote stanley away travel :)

You had me stumped there, as to what the heck are you on about?

Until I looked at 'fishy'!

Never been to Emirates, but guess that you must have, to be able to recognise stadium from that angle!

lancsdave 11-05-2016 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiTChener (Post 1168353)
You had me stumped there, as to what the heck are you on about?

Until I looked at 'fishy'!

Never been to Emirates, but guess that you must have, to be able to recognise stadium from that angle!

The link is on the side of the coach :)

KiTChener 11-05-2016 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1168356)
The link is on the side of the coach :)

AHH.... had to go on PC to see, image too small on phone!!

Cheers Dave

Chewbacca 11-05-2016 19:02

Actually it could be Wembley on second thoughts, both are raised well above the ground on certain sides so need steps/ramps to get to entry level.

Anyway hopefully you will be able to see for yourself on 30th May to avoid all doubt :)

choirboy 13-05-2016 20:58

It's the 'Night Before' the Play Off Leg One v Wimbledon (Away) and the nervous tension is building.:hidewall:
I understand that we have THREE COACHES of supporters travelling South tomorrow, plus we will have others travelling by car in addition to our southern based supporters.:theband:
I
know that some of our loyal Accy Folk are really disappointed at not being able to travel...... I have spoken to some truly loyal supporters this week who really stretched their limited finances to get to Wycombe the other week and WE ALL KNOW what a difference we ALL made there!:s_gupjump:s_gupjump
Those of us lucky enough to be going to Wimbledon tomorrow can together still make that difference and be the TWELFTH MAN once again!!!!
What we ALL need to do at Wimbledon is sing twice as LOUD as we did at Wycombe to make up for our friends who cannot make it to the match. We know from the players testimony that we DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!:mosher:
So come on ALL YOU TRAVELLING FAITHFUL.....GIVE IT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING FOR COLEY, JIMMY AND THE TEAM....MORE THAN YOU HAVE EVER GIVEN BEFORE........TOGETHER WE CAN DO THIS!!!!:enough:

Just think what all those guys and gals who have helped to rebuild the 'NEW STANLEY' would feel if we could win promotion to League ONE!.........
Remembering just a few of the names.....Jack Barrett, Bill Parkinson, Jimmy Hinksman, 'Haggis' and his team mates from the 1970's. John Alty, Phil Staley, Eric Whalley, Paul Beck and the team of the 1990's, Grimmy, Brett Ormerod.....then the Conference Winning Team and the boys from our last Play Off venture five years ago!:wub::iloveyou:
All of these and many others will be right behind us tomorrow and next Wednesday.....:hothothot:hothothot:hothothot
So feel the pride ONE AND ALL.......it makes me tingle all over with pride what our little club has achieved in the last forty eight years since reforming!
NOW we can make history and go one step further..... Oh Heck, I am getting tearful as a type this!:help:
COME ON STANLEY.........:theband:
THREE MORE MATCHES TO YET MORE GLORY.....
ON AND ON STANLEY ON!
:thumbsup::thepint::cheers::wave8::signbeer:

ps Admin. Can we change the title of this thread to the "Wimbledon PLAY OFFs Match Thread"?

mab 13-05-2016 23:40

latest ticket info of the wombles site ,looking like half the away end will be open for home fans as well as Stanley fans for the 1st leg....... Still availability in the Your Golf Travel terrace

We still have a limited number of tickets
Still availability in the Your Golf Travel terrace
We still have a limited number of tickets remaining in the Your Golf Travel terrace for tomorrow's play-off match against Accrington Stanley (7.30 pm kick-off).
As we announced yesterday, this followed detailed discussions with Accrington Stanley officials that we could make extra tickets available to Wimbledon fans.

All other areas are currently sold out for this game. Take care traveling reds

Kiwi John 14-05-2016 01:07

I have finished my counseling sessions ,but have some appointments penciled in for next week-just incase.

choirboy 14-05-2016 07:17

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!:mosher:

AccyMad 14-05-2016 10:05

I'm calm, I'm calm, I'm calm - it's just another game, a bonus extension to the season - could even be a very early pre-season friendly, I'm calm :)
Who am I kidding!! - collywobbles for this game started at 5 o'clock last Saturday!!!
Hope our lads have put the Stevenage nightmare behind them - if they've been able to do that better than me, we'll be just fine COYR :)

cashman 14-05-2016 10:49

Like Hughesy says, we finished 10pts ahead of Wimbledon!! but that means sod all, Brighton finished 15 pts ahead of Sheff Weds,:eek: lets hope lightening dont strike twice, COYR

JIMSLAD 14-05-2016 11:24

Come on Reds 3 games to finish the job

winstanley asfc 14-05-2016 13:23

Will the clubhouse be open to show the match on the big screen? If not i'll probably watch it in the Crown. Failing that does the Greyhound pub have a telly?

smudgie 14-05-2016 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstanley asfc (Post 1168602)
Will the clubhouse be open to show the match on the big screen? If not i'll probably watch it in the Crown. Failing that does the Greyhound pub have a telly?

I was thinking the same??

im 99.999999% sure it will be on in the Crown.

winstanley asfc 14-05-2016 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 1168605)
I was thinking the same??

im 99.999999% sure it will be on in the Crown.

There might be a function on in the clubhouse, like a wedding or a birthday. I think the club would've mentioned it on the website if it was open to the fans.
I fancy the Greyhound as it'll be easier(and cheaper :D) than the Crown to get served, but have they got a telly i wonder?:confused:

anmc 14-05-2016 17:12

A bit further away but Hare & Hounds are showing the game.

st06nc2 14-05-2016 17:58

Mconville and brown in for fosu and Halliday

smudgie 14-05-2016 18:01

Massive surprise on that starting XI.

st06nc2 14-05-2016 18:08

Let's hope golden boy gets sent off again do us all a favour

Redraine 14-05-2016 18:32

No[QUOTE=smudgie;1168622]Massive surprise on that starting XI.[/QUOTE
No surprise to me. I suspected Coley would crumble In the end.��

DaveinGermany 14-05-2016 18:42

Live streaming here (at least in Germany over t'interweb)

Just First Row - Live Sports ONLINE

on the 3rd link

football19 14-05-2016 18:42

Fullbacks will be key,their winners are quick

football19 14-05-2016 18:42

Wingers

Redraine 14-05-2016 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1168629)
Fullbacks will be key,their winners are quick

And now we have a carthorse down the left!

Kiwi John 14-05-2016 19:21

I give the first half to us, but up front we look a little 'un-co' (i.e. Kee and Sean Mac). Our #22 looks solid at the back.

football19 14-05-2016 19:23

At my lads 30th birthday party,this is not nice following txt

Kiwi John 14-05-2016 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1168637)
At my lads 30th birthday party,this is not nice following txt

crikey:eek:-not much thought went into that effort 30 years and 9 months ago.

cashman 14-05-2016 19:34

Well if we had been playing Blackpool, i could have understood the choice of the donkey.:rolleyes:

Redraine 14-05-2016 19:38

E
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1168639)
Well if we had been playing Blackpool, i could have understood the choice of the donkey.:rolleyes:

Even the Dons fans are jeering Sean's free kicks. Why is he even taking them./?

Redraine 14-05-2016 19:51

He's off, thank God.

football19 14-05-2016 20:07

Done his job,blocked Rigg off ?, not heard much of him

Leylandii 14-05-2016 20:12

Done his job? Oh, give over .....

Redraine 14-05-2016 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1168643)

No, mate, his job is to score! May as well play a proper defender instead if all you want him to do is block.��

Kiwi John 14-05-2016 20:23

*(^&&
%$&*(^*(&%$&%#$&%^&(%*

winstanley asfc 14-05-2016 20:27

Bad to let a late goal in but that'll make our players try a bit harder on Wednesday!

Kiwi John 14-05-2016 20:28

&^&^*&%(*(*....back to my f%&*n counseller.

football19 14-05-2016 20:28

Gutted:(

Redraine 14-05-2016 20:29

D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1168648)
*(^&&
%$&*(^*(&%$&%#$&%^&(%*

Don't worry. It'll only take 2 minutes to wipe that out on Wednesday.

smudgie 14-05-2016 20:33

Massively disappointing result.

Fair play to all those that travelled.

I would love to know the reason for starting number 11 over Fosu. He was quite frankly, appalling.

BUT its not over yet.

maccawozzagod 14-05-2016 20:35

Played with 10 men for 57 minutes. Fosu came on for Sean and I think Windass went off with him. Didnt see owt of him after he got sandwiched. I thought Brown and Buxton had good games but unfortunately we just couldnt get it down. I hope Buzzer floods the hell out of our pitch this week because we cant play on hard pitches. Wimbledon havent conceded for 11 hours says they like hard pitches.

Bring a bucket of water campaign?

smudgie 14-05-2016 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1168645)
No, mate, his job is to score! May as well play a proper defender instead if all you want him to do is block.��

Totally agree Redraine. As usual by the looks of it, he is watching a different game to everyone else.

KiTChener 14-05-2016 20:51

Don't have Sky, had to rely on bbc 5 sport extra......
When added time announced, I set my stopwatch, & reckoned ref should have blown for full time, just as ball left Beeres foot!

We'll smash 'em on Wednesday!!

cashman 14-05-2016 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiTChener (Post 1168657)

We'll smash 'em on Wednesday!!

Hope yer right, doubtful though if we start with 10 men again.:mad:

AccyMad 14-05-2016 20:54

We're all gutted, & it's a long long journey home but can't believe some of the comments on Sean Mac, or can I? He might not have had a good game but apparently he was drafted in because Fossu was carrying a knock so not a case of Coley crumbling as has been said - as for wishing that one of our own players would get sent off?? Really??? I give up!

cashman 14-05-2016 20:57

If that was the case Mcarten was a much better option than the donkey in my view. and Fosu knocked the post after a couple of mins being on.

Redraine 14-05-2016 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1168659)
We're all gutted, & it's a long long journey home but can't believe some of the comments on Sean Mac, or can I? He might not have had a good game but apparently he was drafted in because Fossu was carrying a knock so not a case of Coley crumbling as has been said - as for wishing that one of our own players would get sent off?? Really??? I give up!

I wish you would "give up" constantly wet nursing McConville

maccawozzagod 14-05-2016 21:04

Watch the rerun Diane, he was quite amusing to be fair. Ive'supported' his inclusion nearly all season as I believe he is/was integral to the team performance of keep it moving about. I half expected him to play as Coley had inferred he'd play a more cautious tactic today. Air kicks, falling over, running into players - full repertoire unfortunately.

Sean isnt as bad as some make out but tonight wont be on his highlights reel

KiTChener 14-05-2016 21:05

Quote:

as for wishing that one of our own players would get sent off?? Really??? I give up!

Agree, totally out of order, a true fan indeed!!

chevyfire 14-05-2016 21:19

A draw for me was a fair reflection of game. Wimbledon had chances first 10mins then we took control with out creating too many chances. Then the beast came on and as in past against us his close control caused us nightmares. He got our defence dropping deeper. I thought Ross did well tonight commanding his area. It's half time and if we can make it a passing game we could turn this around. Like tonight let's make a racket and keep the faith

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

carpon 14-05-2016 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1168643)

McConville did his job ???:confused::confused:

We played the first hour of that game with ten men on the pitch...."Golden boy" was totally anonymous....:mad:

Sorry to say it but when you are in the battle which IS the play-offs, any team which wants success needs eleven players who have fight in them, will perform their duties with 100% effort and have a hunger to earn the results which ultimately bring success.

McConville drifted around like a rudderless boat for an hour. He ticked none of the three boxes from my last statement.:mad:

Every other Stanley player who played tonight ticked all three boxes.

Fosu should have been on from the start in place of "Goldenboy" and Rigg would have had other things to occupy his mind with than getting forward.

In my book.....a tactical blunder by Coleman and it was a pity Coleman took an hour to work out the mistake he made.:(

If he makes the same mistake on Wednesday, forget reaching Wembley.:mad:

yonmon 14-05-2016 21:33

Quote:

Now you've never heard me call him as you know Di, except when likening his penalty taking routine as 'mildly balletic'. However, like others I was so impressed by the latest dance step he demonstrated at one point in the first half this evening as he attempted to direct a shot goalwards !.
Long may he continue to entertain us with his unexpected terpsichore, with hopefully an occasional flash of soccer ability applied for Redraine and other detractors to enjoy now and again !.

Forgot to mention the pitch Diane, was it as bad as it looked on my TV screen ?.

football19 14-05-2016 21:35

Only watched the first twenty minutes so I can't comment until I've watched the game,thought the pitch was poor,it's not over yet !!!

cashman 14-05-2016 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1168668)
Only watched the first twenty minutes so I can't comment until I've watched the game,thought the pitch was poor,it's not over yet !!!

It is if we start with 10 again.

Greger 14-05-2016 22:25

While I haven't seen many games, today I could fully understand the frustration concerning McConville. He was rubbish! But what I don't understand is why that makes Fosu a great player. He was equally bad against Stevenage, and although he had one good action tonight (still makes him lead McConville 1-0), he didn't contribute much.
An honest question:
Why can't McCartan play left-wing? Looks a far better player than both to me!

Crown Grounder 14-05-2016 22:33

Well the form that got us 85 points seems to have well and truly deserted us, I'd make changes for Wednesday or we are out of the playoffs. Unless we improve dramatically we won't stand a chance against either Portsmouth or Plymouth.

Chimer 14-05-2016 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1168645)

I knew this would happen the minute the teams were announced. If we didn't win, there would only be one player to blame - plus of course John and Jimmy for nepotism. I've chosen this particular slagging off post to quote because it allows me to point out that it is equally Billy's job to score, Josh's job to score, and Piero's job to score - and none of them had a shot on target all night, and I'm not sure about last Saturday either. Tarique was on target, deflected on to the post as soon as he came on, but that was that for him too.

I don't think he's great and never did - but he's a damn sight better then half a dozen of you ever give him credit for. All pile in and put the boot in, why not. What a way to pretend to support :mad:

See you on Wednesday. On Stanley On!!

football19 14-05-2016 23:36

100% agree chimer, right or wrong,Sean can be poor but has the ability to score from nothing.
Fosu looks a great talent,but the end of season pitches don't seem to suit his game.
I feared we may have conceded more,but it's not over yet

deeayess 14-05-2016 23:52

Watched the game on TV and they should have had a penalty for hand ball before they scored. We were poor most of the game but I doubt the team would have done much better if we had started different. They were no great shakes either so we can still do it.

DAV007 15-05-2016 01:04

Wimbledon went more direct with the introduction of Akinfenwa and eventually it worked for them.

I thought Buxton was our best player in the first half, Connelly in the second half.

Billy Kee was poor IMO and has been poor for a few weeks now, I would consider playing Gornell from the start on Wednesday.

The view from the away end standing was horrific, no wonder they want to move grounds.

shakermaker 15-05-2016 02:00

Wimbledon deserved the win after their second half performance - direct, route one and effective.

Those slighting the selection of Sean can go whistle. His defending was more assured than Fosu's would ever have been, and you know it.

Come on Accy

carpon 15-05-2016 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1168672)
I knew this would happen the minute the teams were announced. If we didn't win, there would only be one player to blame - plus of course John and Jimmy for nepotism. I've chosen this particular slagging off post to quote because it allows me to point out that it is equally Billy's job to score, Josh's job to score, and Piero's job to score - and none of them had a shot on target all night, and I'm not sure about last Saturday either. Tarique was on target, deflected on to the post as soon as he came on, but that was that for him too.

I don't think he's great and never did - but he's a damn sight better then half a dozen of you ever give him credit for. All pile in and put the boot in, why not. What a way to pretend to support :mad:

Sorry Chimer, but if he was a damn sight better than he displayed tonight then he would not have left Stanley a few years ago to join Stockport (who were and still are two levels below League Two) and then subsequently move on to Chester. At that time...suitors from a higher level where hardly hammering at Stanley's door to try and gain his signature !!!:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1168675)
100% agree chimer, right or wrong,Sean can be poor but has the ability to score from nothing.

So would Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Jose Mourinho pick a player on the same sentiment ???:confused:

Admittedly we play at a different level to the sides they manage (d) but surely they wouldn't justifying selecting somebody who performed as badly as McConville did tonight because once every blue moon the guy can "score from nothing" ????:confused:

To coin a phrase ( that the legendary Brian Clough was rumoured to use to describe one of his Derby players at the time) McConville was bone idle tonight and drifted around like a "Wandering Jew" (NO racial slur intended):(.

McConville was the worst player on the park in a Stanley shirt by a country mile. Coleman realised the fact and thankfully hauled him off.

McConville has consistently proved during his two spells at Stanley that he goes missing far too often in games.

No side wishing to have any modicum of success can carry passengers in games that matter. Tonight we carried one for an hour...... from the start of what was our biggest game of the season....... when we had better and more reliable options on the bench.:mad:

AccyMad 15-05-2016 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1168662)
I wish you would "give up" constantly wet nursing McConville

It's not a case of wet nursing anybody - but most of the comments about Sean were made before we'd even kicked a ball tonight so weren't based on how he performed or didn't as the case may be but simply on assumptions because his name was on the team sheet to start, hardly fair in my opinion.

monkey hanger 15-05-2016 07:11

listened to it on 5 live extra who put the radio London commentary on so obvious biased towards Wimbledon but it did seem there was nothing in the game until they scored. as for sean mc people including me are not happy to see him in the side but I think all of us would loved to be proved wrong. unfortuatly it never happens. I personally would have played romy boco on the right and switched piero to the left if fosu was injured. also billy has been quiet since he got that head injury a few weeks ago. we need to score against Wimbledon at home and hope we don,t have another repeat of the Stevenage game the other week. lets go for it. rather have a 3 all draw and go out fighting than another 0-0. one goal in the last 3 games. this has to change quickly.

winstanley asfc 15-05-2016 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1168682)
listened to it on 5 live extra who put the radio London commentary on so obvious biased towards Wimbledon but it did seem there was nothing in the game until they scored. as for sean mc people including me are not happy to see him in the side but I think all of us would loved to be proved wrong. unfortuatly it never happens. I personally would have played romy boco on the right and switched piero to the left if fosu was injured. also billy has been quiet since he got that head injury a few weeks ago. we need to score against Wimbledon at home and hope we don,t have another repeat of the Stevenage game the other week. lets go for it. rather have a 3 all draw and go out fighting than another 0-0. one goal in the last 3 games. this has to change quickly.

Billy has been misfiring for the last few games though that bump to the head didn't help last night. I'd put Terry Gornell on from the start on Wednesday. Ten minutes from the end like last Saturday is no good!

Redraine 15-05-2016 08:32

[QUOTE=Chimer;1168672 All pile in and put the boot in, why not. What a way to pretend to support :mad:

See you on Wednesday. On Stanley On!![/QUOTE]
Come off it Chimer. How anyone with any sense can equate negative comments on this board regarding performances with the quality of their support is ludicrous. On Wednesday I will be giving as much vocal support to everyone in red stripes, as usual, Sean included if selected. People who are so sensitive to message board comments should try those of clubs like Rangers, Celtic or the Barcodes, or do you think that comments n individual players should be banned?:rolleyes:

smudgie 15-05-2016 08:42

Would have to agree, Billy looks miles off the pace up front and has since his big knock the other week.

Revived Red 15-05-2016 09:25

On a different thread, I was taken to task by several members for daring to say in a different thread that Billy Kee was not at his best. Interesting to see that others are starting to agree with me. Terry Gornell really must start on Wednesday - his speed and mobility were really lacking last night until he made a belated appearance. And talking of speed and mobility, I simply cannot believe that McConville was selected ahead of Shay McCartan if Fosu was carrying a knock.

I thought Scott Brown had a really good game last night, closely followed by Adam Buxton and Seamus Conneely. I would be tempted to leave Matty Pearson on the bench on Wednesday - his distribution has become a weak point. Bring back Brad Halliday as full back. And maybe bring on Matty as a sub to man-mark The Beast when the latter is brought on. Just my opinions.

smudgie 15-05-2016 09:26

Totally agree Revived.

Thought Brown was excellent.

JC4LAB 15-05-2016 09:29

Thought Billy did a lot of good work in defending corners ,coming back for set pieces etc and then put his head on the line then took one for the lads as they say..If he could have lasted to the end .he might have just been able to do this same in Fergie time..I hope hes ok for Wednsday..

How is it ,these playoffs are all the same.every year.Theres a curse on third place.Brighton has it on em too.it seems ...The worse teams stealing the results...and those 7th in the league pinching the prize.....Reckons its a stress thing..Third you are licking your wounds..7th you cant believe your luck and arent that arsed ...Somehow we need to .De stress and all will be ok.

Greger 15-05-2016 09:29

Thanks, DaveinGermany,
Your link saved me when my Serb channel gave up in mid-game. Excellent quality when it works, though.

choirboy 15-05-2016 09:33

Quote:

That's the vibe that I picked up to Accy Mad about Fosu possibly carrying a 'knock'.
I really do not like the excessive criticism of Seam Mac on this thread. some of you are just going too far with it boys.
Now, I agree that Sean was our least effective player last night and has been on other occasions. But being the least effective player in a team that has a had a great season does not make him 'Rubbish' as some are suggesting. We all know that Sean would admit to making a big error leaving Stanley when he did to chase the 'dollars' with a'Bigger club', (true at the time!) He also his way, his fitness and his confidence for the next couple of seasons. Coley and Jimmy brought him back and he has improved significantly. I thought that he played quite well in the two thirds of the season. Last night he did some good defensive work, (as far as I could see that is!) Since the injuries to Crooks and Windass we have lost the supreme passing game in midfield that was so effective in taking us up the league in the middle months of the season. Yes, Windass has returned and he has played well with some great surging runs and opposing defenders but the passing game has not returned. What this means therefore and seems to be so obvious to me is that we have found it so much more difficult to 'feed our wingers'. Pierro is one of my all time Stanley Favourite players but no one is mentioning how ineffective he has been in the last six or seven matches...... There have been matches recently when Pierro has not got past his opposing full back once. Last night he only took his on full back on the 'outside' once late in the match and his ball in to the penalty box caused real problems. Some observers have said our opponents in recent matches have 'done their homework on us' and 'stopped us playing'. Really the truth IMHO is that we are far less effective and creative without Crooks. Yes Sean is our weakest player but some of the vitriol being used here is unacceptable! ...Mini Rant Over!

Last nights match......My view......(as far as I could see!)
Great trip down on the coaches with no motorway problems. When we got to the services there were 'guards' protecting the soft toys which found the ceiling lights when we were travelling to :dancedog::dancedog::dancedog:Arriving at the 'Kingstonian' ground there were lots of Womble fans milling about in the sun. The ground is a lovely compact affair with good facilities in general. My daughter and I found the bar, (a healthily long bar it was too!) got a pint and half each of quite nice cask ale and returned outside into the sun. we had some good conversations with very friendly kindred spirits in blue scarves some of whom are travelling up next Wednesday. Eventually we wandered round to the 'Away' ground allocation.

:eek:

The referee on paper will appear to have had a 'good game' not booking one single player and having 'let the game flow'. What this allowed though was the development of more and more pushing and shoving as the game went on. Particularly from the likes of Darius Charles, (remember Stevenage five years ago?) This set up Akinfenwa to have a 'free license' to come on and throw his weight about literally! Coley alluded to this in his report too and I think he was referring to Akinfenwa pushing in the build up to their goal.
We didn't play particularly well but we did not deserve to lose the match! Destiny seems to working against us along with opponents, referees and lady luck!
Outstanding players for us were Hughes who was superbly cool and used all his experience particularly against the towering centre forward who was eventually replaced by 'The Beast'. Davies too played well as did Buxton, Pearson and Etherridge. In other words we excelled in defence and I will repeat, we did not deserve to lose! We struggled up front as we found it difficult o build from midfield but Seamus and Josh played well on the whole. Billy, Sean and Pierro got very few opportunities against an oppressive defence aided by some lenient refereeing! Half way through the second half i was calling for the ref to book one or two players, (from either side!) to sort out the pushing and shoving which for me spoiled the match.

Well on to Wednesday and like coley, I firmly believe that we can still come out of this Victorious.
Come on Stanley supporters.....100% behind whatever team is selected and let's carry our team to victory on a TIDAL WAVE OF STANLEY SUPPORT
:jimbo:

Greger 15-05-2016 09:40

I was impressed with a few Conneely actions going forward on high-lights early in the season, but saw nothing at all of that kind in the last two games. With Brown in the side you seem to get a little too much of the same game. Can you really afford to play two deep-lying midfielders in a must-win game? Made since away, but I doubt that it is a winning concept.
Personally I was more upset with the Stevenage failure. Thought Stanley contained Wimbledon well, and were the better side for 75 minutes. There was never ever going to be more than one goal in it, even though there were penalty calls and a shot against the post.
Problem is that this is a defensively strong line-up. Can't see it score two. And two at least will be needed.

Revived Red 15-05-2016 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 1168678)
Those slighting the selection of Sean can go whistle. His defending was more assured than Fosu's would ever have been, and you know it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC4LAB (Post 1168692)
Thought Billy did a lot of good work in defending corners ,coming back for set pieces etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1168695)
Last night he (McConville) did some good defensive work,

It's a bit of a worry if we praise attackers for their defending abilities. :confused:

cashman 15-05-2016 09:41

Sorry choirboy disagree, whats really unacceptable is a player who had approx 10 good games 5 years ago, and never improved on that, being brought back, for reasons any fool can see. also having a contract extension.

football19 15-05-2016 10:30

Finally watched the game and I thought we did OK and controlled the tempo for long periods without hurting them.
The game sort of changed when the big fella came on and did what he's been doing for years.
Not long ago he terrorised Liverpools defenders,and it's difficult to control him.
I would always play a high line and we dropped a little deeper (fatigue?,I don't know).
A draw would have been fair IMO,but I can see similarities to our last playoff campaign,goals dry up and look a bit jaded.
Pitch will be key on Wednesday as I can't see us out muscling them.
I thought we played their wide men well,but crosses started coming as we tired.
Maybe Bocco could have been given a run,he's another who can make something happen.

cashman 15-05-2016 10:35

I also thought a draw woulda been a fair result, so if we start with 11 men weds, we still got a good chance imho.

football19 15-05-2016 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1168701)
I also thought a draw woulda been a fair result, so if we start with 11 men weds, we still got a good chance imho.

The debate will rage on !!!,but he didn't play against Stevenage and the goals didn't come,if fact I'd say the first half against them was our worst of the season IMO
Rooney has been crap for three years,but you will always play him as its in his locker to win the game.(have I just compared Sean to Rooney ?😂😂)

cashman 15-05-2016 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by football19 (Post 1168702)
The debate will rage on !!!,but he didn't play against Stevenage and the goals didn't come,if fact I'd say the first half against them was our worst of the season IMO
Rooney has been crap for three years,but you will always play him as its in his locker to win the game.(have I just compared Sean to Rooney ?����)

Yeh been drinking?:D just remind me what happened when we played Satanage in the play-offs? i forget.;) i cant comment on the recent game was in Germany.

maccawozzagod 15-05-2016 10:55

Pearson wont be dropped to accomodate anyone. He's the epitome of what Coleman wants on the field and is our 'hardest' player. Evet present and has played across the back four and midfield.

I agree that Halliday (at full back) is a miss but you'd have to drop Bucko to and move Pearson to bring him in. I thought Bucko was possibly our best player last night.

Brown too, haf a good game. I thought that maybe Boco could be the key to unlocking a tight 2nd leg but in all honesty Coley would be hung from the Town Hall balcony if he pinned his hopes on Boco.

Kee, whilst ineffective at scoring, also had a decent game with two or three attenpts snd constantly dropping in to keep the ball moving. I like to have Gornell available but he's a straight like for like swap with Kee, and Billy is better at it. A few weeks ago Billy took a knock and leaving him on cost us - at Coley's admission. So last night it was guaranteed he would come off.

I've a feeling Coley will spring a huge surprise on wednesday and change the formation to get as many match winners on as possible

cashman 15-05-2016 11:00

Hope yer right Macca, Boco or Mcarten would be fine wi me. as a straight swap. or fosu if fully fit even.

monkey hanger 15-05-2016 11:32

I've a feeling Coley will spring a huge surprise on wednesday and change the formation to get as many match winners on as possible[/QUOTE]

problem is if he keeps the same side and we don,t win he,ll be criticised for it and if he changes a few things he,ll be criticised again for tinkering with a well tried formula if we don,t win. very difficult few days for him. I,d go a bit gung ho against a side that,s not getting younger but I haven,t got a coaching badge so what do I know.

football19 15-05-2016 12:11

Once Coley picks the bones out of the game,he'll have a game plan to win,it's how the lads execute it that counts.
We have enough to win the game,but I think he needs to freshen things up IMO,we have enough players chomping at the bit !!!
Wouldn't play mccarten on the left,tried it preseason,didn't work and the games too big to take chances,especially early on.

Redraine 15-05-2016 12:22

[QUOTE=football19; the games too big to take chances,especially early on.[/QUOTE]

You are too risk averse pal. Remember how you didn't want Coley to give Fosu a start? Just remind me - how many goals, assists and keeper fine saves has he paid us back with during the small number of starts he's had? Remember, "we all know we're a team of gamblers!"��

Chewbacca 15-05-2016 12:24

I hope I can make Blackpool away, it had better not be a night game.

Revived Red 15-05-2016 12:37

Sorry Macca, but I don't agree that Gornell is a like-for-like swap with Kee. Gornell is much more mobile and, in modern jargon, is able to "run the channels" in a way that Billy seems unable to do at the moment. Gornell drops deeper to collect the ball and run at defenders, Kee waits for the ball to come to him and ends up tussling with defenders. Again, just my opinion.

DAV007 15-05-2016 12:40

Why has no one commented on the most glaring weakness?

Our best player Matt Crooks is out injured, we are a far better team with Crooks.

Dav1d 15-05-2016 12:40

Boco 90th minute winner it's got to be.

cashman 15-05-2016 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1168718)

Our best play Matt Crooks is out injured, we are a far better team with Crooks.

Would think everyones aware of that, but the rest have near got us up automatic, injured is injured, so not even worth considering.

DAV007 15-05-2016 12:50

Our central midfield and billy kee have been the biggest concern IMO , both vs Stevenage and again yesterday.

Drop Kee, drop Halliday and drop mcconville would be my solution, although I'm sure Coleman will figure out a plan.

Regarding the Mcconville debate, I actually think he is a decent player at league 2 level but when he gets pressed for space, he then allows the opposition to dominate him physically and this amongst some bad touches and passes is what contributed to a indifferent display yesterday.

Wimbledon were solid defensively although part of that was because Kee didn't really get into the game.
With Wimbledon able to sit on a lead in the 2nd leg, we will need to bolster and adapt our attacking approach, I'm not sure focusing on playing down the wings will get us much joy, they seemed weaker in central midfield than at full back.

choirboy 15-05-2016 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1168698)
Sorry choirboy disagree, whats really unacceptable is a player who had approx 10 good games 5 years ago, and never improved on that, being brought back, for reasons any fool can see. also having a contract extension.

What Cashy? ........
You don't agree with my observations that IMHO he is our 'Least Effective Player'.:hidewall:

All I am asking is that several of you on here need to be less negative ALL THE TIME with the lad and consider giving some POSITIVE comments for a change!:stop:

choirboy 15-05-2016 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1168718)

Our best player Matt Crooks is out injured, we are a far better team with Crooks.

I have Dav !:jimbo:

choirboy 15-05-2016 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirboy (Post 1168695)
That's the vibe that I picked up to Accy Mad about........................
etc.......................let's carry our team to victory on a TIDAL WAVE OF STANLEY SUPPORT
[/SIZE]:jimbo:

Whoops!
I posted my comments in a real rush before going out this morning and did not have time to proof read it. 'Typing' wise there were quite a few errors but I think you probably managed to follow my drift!:D

On further reflection. I stand by my observations about the criticism aimed at Sean Mac. So much negative comment is not necessary and not helpful IMHO. I am sure that some of the players may read what we post and I do think it could strain their relationship with us the 'Supporters'. Call me naive if you wish but I am a firm believer in PRAISE.:hothothot

Well, we need to move onto Wednesday and the 'Second Half' of the tie. With 100% support from our fans we can beat Wimbledon. I am confident that John and Jimmy will select the right team and subs, and use the right tactics on the night that will give us overall Victory in the tie!
ON STANLEY ON:theband:
KEEP THE FAITH:wave8:
BELIEVE
:alright::alright::alright:

cashman 15-05-2016 14:32

I am a firm believer Praise, Respect, etc must be earned not given Carte Blanche.;)its summat me parents always told me.

Greeny 15-05-2016 15:40

My own opinion ( I have not a clue how to manage a football team ) is we playing the regular ones and other teams now know our style of play, I would suggest Marcus Carver play and Coleman to pull a trick or two from up his sleeve. This is our last chance this season , so what is there to loose.

football19 15-05-2016 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1168714)
You are too risk averse pal. Remember how you didn't want Coley to give Fosu a start? Just remind me - how many goals, assists and keeper fine saves has he paid us back with during the small number of starts he's had? Remember, "we all know we're a team of gamblers!"��

The lads done well,but the opposition have game videos of him now,therefore his positional play will be tested when we don't have the ball,would still use him as an impact sub,unless the pitches improve.
Would go with Bocco if we were being positive,but we don't need to score early doors,just concentrate on a clean sheet and take the chances when they come.
90 minutes is a long time