Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Paul Cook at Portsmouth (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/paul-cook-at-portsmouth-69110.html)

Lemur 18-04-2017 18:38

Paul Cook at Portsmouth

nice to see he got portsmouth promoted

Cook has already said he has been discussing new player contracts and potential new transfers with the board as they prepare to step up to League Two.

cashman 18-04-2017 18:43

Re: Paul Cook at Portsmouth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemur (Post 1192627)
nice to see he got portsmouth promoted

Cook has already said he has been discussing new player contracts and potential new transfers with the board as they prepare to step up to League Two.

Why were they non league?:D

AccyMad 18-04-2017 18:50

Nice? Nothing about that man is nice! I'm just surprised Portsmouth gave him three seasons to get the job done but you never know, if & when they do get taken over by Disney's ex CEO they'll bring their own team in & he'll be shown the door - can only hope!
Happy for their fans that they've achieved promotion as on the whole they're a decent lot but I can't join in congratulating Cook (he wouldn't have got anywhere without Leam but I bet I know who'll be taking all the plaudits)

st06nc2 18-04-2017 19:22

Give it till November and he'll be sacked, he's found his level at league 2 he struggles to manage any higher up

cashman 18-04-2017 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by st06nc2 (Post 1192632)
Give it till November and he'll be sacked, he's found his level at league 2 he struggles to manage any higher up

That wouldn't upset me at all.

SamF 18-04-2017 20:43

Never really understood the hate for Cook on here.

He was our best manager in the "between Coley" era.

Happy for him to be doing well - reckon he's at a club that will take him as far as his ability allows.

Plus will never forget him scoring for us from near the half way line.

DAV007 18-04-2017 20:57

Agree SamF, real Stanley fans know the truth.

\some of them still think Beattie was a good manager :)

Chimer 18-04-2017 22:04

They were both good managers but one left for unexplained reasons (Dav claims to know but won't let on :rolleyes:) and the other deserted us after promising the world :(, then poached the man who got us out of the crap he left behind :mad:.

But to be fair :eek: to Cook, he has never shown anything but max respect when talking about Stanley to the local media down here. Pompey fans deserve a Championship side and he did take Chesterfield to the playoffs - the fan-run club stuck by him through a promising but ultimately disappointing season last year, if the Mickey Mouse buyout goes through (don't bank on it, it's down to the fans who've endured too many false promises) he probably won't get so much slack in League 1.

carpon 19-04-2017 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1192642)
Agree SamF, real Stanley fans know the truth.

\some of them still think Beattie was a good manager :)

Beattie had a higher win % ratio than the snake during his managerial tenure....:rolleyes:

Beattie also dipped into his own personal funds to help sign Kal Naismith....

He stuck around for twice as long as the snake.....left in what will probably always be "mysterious" and probably never to be disclosed circumstances.....and when he left the club.....he left it in a better state than what he found it in.....:o

Compare that...... to a guy who exited the Crown without hanging around as much even to bid farewell to the staff when Chesterfield pushed reddies under his nose.....after 4 or was it five straight defeats???:confused:

Leam Richardson actually fared better during his short managerial stint than Snakey....but the lure of the Lira ( or whatever currency the crooked spirites were paying !!! ) obviously persuaded him to follow the snake along the snake pass over the pennines.:rolleyes:

When Beattie left on 12th Sept 2014 he had laid the foundations to help put the club on a more even footing....for the first time in our newly acquired football league history, the club were retaining players on contracts longer than 12 months...

Six days later......Coleman ( & Bell ) returned.

With the budget Cook has had since he joined Pompey in May 2015, I can't understand why some folk put the guy on some sort of pedestal. He's been lucky that their board gave him the time to deliver their sought after exit from League 2.:o

Personally, Pompey's hunger to climb back to the heights from which they have fallen in the last decade or so, will mean that the pressure to keep going forward .....may lead to both Snakey & Richardson being cast aside for somebody else to deliver them to the next level.:confused:

Should that day arise......don't expect me to feel any sympathy for Cook.:rolleyes:

monkey hanger 19-04-2017 07:42

lucky the snake went to portsmouth as they,ve shown patiance with him in their quest to climb back through the leagues. some clubs would have sacked him after the first seasons failure and appointed russell slade.

DAV007 19-04-2017 10:02

Beattie also dipped into his own personal funds to help sign Kal Naismith....

which was refunded !

He stuck around for twice as long as the snake.....left in what will probably always be "mysterious" and probably never to be disclosed circumstances.....and when he left the club.....he left it in a better state than what he found it in

21st place with 4 points from 6 games, playing more and more hoof ball

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

When Beattie left on 12th Sept 2014 he had laid the foundations to help put the club on a more even footing....for the first time in our newly acquired football league history, the club were retaining players on contracts longer than 12 months...

rubbish players who later left for free!

btw it had nothing to do with the manager, but the club owners, coleman always stated he would have liked to have given certain players longer but wasnt able to

Thankfully real stanley fans know the truth and facts.

Lord Stiffupperlip 19-04-2017 10:37

This saga is better than an Agatha Christie 'who-dunnit?'

baldy 19-04-2017 10:51

Didn't Coley sign 5 players with the money that was used to pay Kayodes wage who was a Beattie signing?

Don't see why people hate Cooky so much, but opinions eh!

cashman 19-04-2017 10:54

I have wiped better off the sole of my shoe than Cook!! just my opinion.:D

DAV007 19-04-2017 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldy (Post 1192690)
Didn't Coley sign 5 players with the money that was used to pay Kayodes wage who was a Beattie signing?

Don't see why people hate Cooky so much, but opinions eh!

Be careful Baldy.

You will get put on the block list and be shouted down for having such an honest fact based opinion.