Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   Wigan Athletic Checkatrade Trophy Game (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/wigan-athletic-checkatrade-trophy-game-69616.html)

AccyMad 07-11-2017 20:41

Re: Wigan Athletic Checkatrade Trophy Game

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1204148)
AccyMad,
Not 'tongue-in-cheek' at all.
From Chevyfire tonight; - 'Sousa has had a stormer first half'
From my post after the Boro game;
'How McLeod & Sousa don't make the first eleven every week is a mystery based on tonight's performance.
McLeod in particular was so effective down the left wing, creating numerous goal scoring chances for both himself & the other forwards & Sousa's speed & pin-point crosses caused Boro real problems.
'
My original thoughts that Mcleod & Sousa would have been more effective against Guiseley still apply.
Sousa scores 2 tonight!
Edwards scores!
Mcleod scores!
I rest my case.

It's all about opinions - that's the beauty of football :)

choirboy 07-11-2017 20:42

Full time 0 - 4.:alright:
Good run out for the 'Fringe' players.
:alright:

I bet Billy was awesome at left back!!!!
:rolleyes::130:

chevyfire 07-11-2017 20:56

Bearing in mind we where playing a very weakened Wigan team. It was a good performance, Stanley's fringe players did all they could. Apart from man of match Sousa, Scottie brown pulled the strings In midfield, Nolan was good enforcer alongside him, this helped are twocentre backs be in command of Wigan's attack. All the forward players had there moments. Tonight will do Jonny Edwards confidence no harm. On the Sousa debate, he could certainly change a game with his ability, negative is can he do it against league 2 defenders and he is not good at defending. I would certainly bring him on if we needed to change/affect a game. Blackburn in next round please if they got through!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

cashman 07-11-2017 21:00

Blackburn are OUT on Pens.

Lord Stiffupperlip 07-11-2017 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfire (Post 1204152)
Bearing in mind we where playing a very weakened Wigan team. It was a good performance, Stanley's fringe players did all they could. Apart from man of match Sousa, Scottie brown pulled the strings In midfield, Nolan was good enforcer alongside him, this helped are twocentre backs be in command of Wigan's attack. All the forward players had there moments. Tonight will do Jonny Edwards confidence no harm. On the Sousa debate, he could certainly change a game with his ability, negative is can he do it against league 2 defenders and he is not good at defending. I would certainly bring him on if we needed to change/affect a game. Blackburn in next round please if they got through!

Great report Chevyfire!
Glad to see Nolan back, I for one think he makes a big difference to our midfield.
Wigan may have played their 'reserves' tonight, but they're still a much bigger club than Stanley.
In any case, according to some on here - SO DID WE!
A brilliant result!

dabeast 07-11-2017 21:16

Efl site says Blackburn through in second (teams get a point for losing on pens)

dabeast 07-11-2017 21:41

But.. Stoke and bury not playing til tomorrow

stanleyhouse 07-11-2017 22:01

As a group runner up, we will play a northern group winner away in the next round.

mab 07-11-2017 22:16

:) https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrI...G5BjAlOSMKrME- :) https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-compet...trophy/tables/ :)

Chimer 07-11-2017 22:23

Wigan presumably couldn't weaken their side much more than we did? They're not the 'A' team in the group, so they're subject to the same strange rules, whatever they are, as us.

Don't care anyway, it's a half-baked competition but better this year than last, and if it takes us to Wembley, I'll be there ....

Chewbacca 07-11-2017 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1204153)
Blackburn are OUT on Pens.

If either team win in 90 they are out, they need a draw and a pen win for stoke by the looks of it.

Tom D 07-11-2017 22:51

We played some excellent football at times tonight - very impressed with midfield, particularly sousa and nolan. MOM for me was Brown - at the heart of nearly everything, passing game was excellent and fitness seems to have dramatically improved. We kept playing a high tempo passing game even at 3-0 up. Coley should take a chance and play the same 11 (obviously swap kee for ogle from the off) in our cup replay next week.

Exile on Spencer St 08-11-2017 06:17

What a great performance, even the interview was audible. ;)
Well done to all involved.

AccyMad 08-11-2017 06:19

:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimer (Post 1204161)
Wigan presumably couldn't weaken their side much more than we did? They're not the 'A' team in the group, so they're subject to the same strange rules, whatever they are, as us.

Don't care anyway, it's a half-baked competition but better this year than last, and if it takes us to Wembley, I'll be there ....

Maybe they're prepared for (& financially not bothered about) the fines they'll receive for playing what was, according to their own fans on twitter their under 18's team??
Maybe shows again just how cocky Paul Cook was about the game as they only needed a draw to progress - well, that backfired - what a shame :D:rolleyes:

cashman 08-11-2017 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1204166)
What a great performance, even the interview was audible. ;)
Well done to all involved.

Seemed to me J.C. cut interview short for a reason? was good to actually be able to hear it though.