Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 21:55   #1
God Member

attracting the kids

we all know that the club really needs to be thinking about 10 years down the line and the next generation of Stanley fans. The club knows they need to do this and are probably trying to do this anyway, but how would you try to attract the fans of the future? The kid for a quid is obviously a good idea and should remain forever, not just the foreseeable future. Kids need to grow up with family members who support the club and then they might do, and they may pass it to their kids. Our present fanbase could have peaked at 2000 so we need second and third generation to get anywhere near 4500 - 5000. Post your thoughts, you never know who is reading them!
Old 01-11-2006, 22:25   #2
God Member

Re: attracting the kids

i know this might seem daft and the club says its not viable but how many shops in the centre of accy that sell stanley tops and merchandise i still think theyve missed the bandwagon in not putting a stanley store in the centre of acc even if its just temp up to christmas picture it kid walking through accy i wanna buy a footy top what one do you want mmmmmm ill have that one..well that on aint going to be stanley because its not in your face .visitor or tourist walking through accy they will say thats funny how come they dont sell accrington stanley tops in any shops .i knw they sell them in fraser eagle but not very many people walk past that way
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 22:44   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley
i know this might seem daft and the club says its not viable but how many shops in the centre of accy that sell stanley tops and merchandise i still think theyve missed the bandwagon in not putting a stanley store in the centre of acc even if its just temp up to christmas picture it kid walking through accy i wanna buy a footy top what one do you want mmmmmm ill have that one..well that on aint going to be stanley because its not in your face .visitor or tourist walking through accy they will say thats funny how come they dont sell accrington stanley tops in any shops .i knw they sell them in fraser eagle but not very many people walk past that way
Actually being the mum of two boys ( only one into football) you do have a point there

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 22:47   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley
Your very last sentence answered your question - so what is the point. As Fraser Eagle shop is in the middle of town - or it was last time I was in Accy maybe what the club should be asking the shop to do is promote the merchandise a little clearer ie big sign in window stating Accrington Stanley merchandise available here! The big problem with the shirts etc is the expense. Whilst I know the club try and keep costs down the shirts are just to darned expensive for kids especially if there is more than one wanting a shirt, then add on the cost of names and numbers on the back and it becomes prohibitive. When and if we get bigger and better and Whelan starts making our shirts at JJB in Wigan and selling them in his outlets around the place then the problem will exist. Tell me else you can buy a shirt from lower league and conference clubs. In the town where that club plays only. Only if they make the big time of Championship or Premiership are shirts sold outside of the town

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:58   #5

i think 1 child free,accompianied by an adult would be a good promotion!!!

i have'nt got any kids but i think it would help!!!

what do the parents amongst us think???
stanerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:03   #6
God Member

It pains me to say it as a Dingle but Preston have a good scheme. All under 8's get free admission with an adult as long as they join the mini-whites club.

What's the situation about being a mascot at Stanley ? How does a child become one and what do they get ?

As a parent I can tell you that what attracts children goes against the grain of the more hardcore adult football fan. Gimmicks
Old 02-11-2006, 12:06   #7
I am Banned

A roof - pmsl [i so keep trying]

The only thing thats getting my 10year old daughter to go .... is mangan hehehehehe oh dear
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:23   #8

Quote:
Posted by lancsdave. As a parent I can tell you that what attracts children goes against the grain of the more hardcore adult football fan. Gimmicks
mate, i've no problem with gimmicks aimed at getting kids in. They too will learn the ways of saturday afternoon when they're ready!!!
Pint,Stanley,pint,Pie,Pint,shout at ref,pint,cheer at goal,pint...........
you get the picture!!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:40   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanerlee
mate, i've no problem with gimmicks aimed at getting kids in. They too will learn the ways of saturday afternoon when they're ready!!!
Pint,Stanley,pint,Pie,Pint,shout at ref,pint,cheer at goal,pint...........
you get the picture!!
Well I might agree apart from the following points, I rarely drink, I don't support Stanley and I used to be a ref
Old 02-11-2006, 13:03   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
It pains me to say it as a Dingle but Preston have a good scheme. All under 8's get free admission with an adult as long as they join the mini-whites club.

What's the situation about being a mascot at Stanley ? How does a child become one and what do they get ?

As a parent I can tell you that what attracts children goes against the grain of the more hardcore adult football fan. Gimmicks
To answer your question about becoming a mascot, it costs £40, they get to warm up with the lads before the game and lead the team out with their favourite player. Also included is 3 tickets for the game and the kit can be bought for half price if they want one. My youngest did it a couple of times on his birthday and enjoyed every minute.
As for a juniors club - that was tried but fell flat on its face for one reason and another, would be worth trying it again though.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 13:13   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad
To answer your question about becoming a mascot, it costs £40, they get to warm up with the lads before the game and lead the team out with their favourite player. Also included is 3 tickets for the game and the kit can be bought for half price if they want one. My youngest did it a couple of times on his birthday and enjoyed every minute.
As for a juniors club - that was tried but fell flat on its face for one reason and another, would be worth trying it again though.
Interesting difference in mascots. At Burnley mascot duty is free of charge. Only junior season ticket holders can do it, they get put in to a draw at the start of the season. They get a free shirt but have to buy their own shorts and socks. They also get 4 free tickets for friends and family and a free programme. Meeting the players in the dressing room is obviously part of it, and if you are lucky like my daughter then you get to witness Ade Akinbiyi kicking hell out of a radiator to get warmed up !

I believe Wolves on the other hand charge £250 for a child to be mascot !!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 13:17   #12

250 quid??? daylight robbery!!! it makes you wonder how many mascots they've had.
That's diabolical.
Old 02-11-2006, 13:22   #13
God Member

Junior Reds would be a top idea, but I believe the reason for failure last time, amongst other things, was that nobody really had time to organise and arrange it. Would a very useful addition to the club if somebody was able to devote time and energy to the cause. Done right it could become a full time paying job (Stanley Community Officer - Junior Reds Co-ordinator coupled with training kids etc)
Old 02-11-2006, 17:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad
It's changed now AccyMad...It costs £80 now, see the official site on the sponsorship section!!
AccyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 18:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
I rarely drink, I don't support Stanley and I used to be a ref
That's like describing satan on these boards
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..