Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2012, 20:26   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Bristol Rovers game

Cashy,you can't fault the players,who had a right go,I was more talking about the shape that we seemed to have settled on,and would it be successful in league two.I know people think the set up of the team doesn't really matter,but Wigan were more or less relegated,when they adopted a 3-4-3 system that the Italians use to favour,and they go on to beat united,arsenal,Newcastle and Liverpool with the same squad.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2012, 20:38   #17
God Member

F19 in Wigan's favour is against footballing teems the ones you have quoted and have have beat are the ones who like to get it down and play which suits Latics style of play particularly highlighted against the Toon on Saturday.

I think the one thing Stanley have missed and I hope they look for is more physical presence so we can mix it up a bit when needed under Coley we struggled against the more physical sides of League Two and we are still in that boat we ned to be able to change games when needed which comes back to what you are saying with regard shape.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 20:39   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Cashy,you can't fault the players,who had a right go,I was more talking about the shape that we seemed to have settled on,and would it be successful in league two.I know people think the set up of the team doesn't really matter,but Wigan were more or less relegated,when they adopted a 3-4-3 system that the Italians use to favour,and they go on to beat united,arsenal,Newcastle and Liverpool with the same squad.
Aint faulting anyone, we will have to disagree, i much prefer the way stanley are playing since cooky took oer,
Old 30-04-2012, 20:53   #19
Senior Member+

That's a great post Google Page Ranking , cashy,I too enjoy cookys system,but unsure it will be successful in league two,
Old 30-04-2012, 21:04   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
That's a great post Google Page Ranking , cashy,I too enjoy cookys system,but unsure it will be successful in league two,
To be honest, it reminds me of stanley under Walt Galbraith n ok i was only a lad, but it dont get much better, Galbraith got em to 2 nd position in Third Division North, but only one went up in those days, If cooky can achieve summat like that, then it will be more n i ever dreamed.
Old 30-04-2012, 21:18   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Will just add the only difference i see is back then we had a prolific goalscorer, now we don't. if that can be addressed i reckon we will see one hell of a difference.
Old 30-04-2012, 21:21   #22
Senior Member+

Think Paul mullin would have loved the crosses coming in thick and fast
Old 30-04-2012, 21:22   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Think Paul mullin would have loved the crosses coming in thick and fast
A few year ago certainly.
Old 30-04-2012, 21:37   #24
God Member

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that we will be promoted next season under Cook. Possibly the maddest sentence ever uttered after a 5-1 defeat and a return of three wins in seventeen games, but there it is.

I think the manager will assemble a squad of players who are not only talented but also buy into the same ideal as what the manager is putting forward. When everyone within a football club is pulling in the same direction, great things can be achieved. We have that now for the first time in quite a while.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 22:21   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I don't think thats nuts shaker, think its quite possible.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:06   #26
Full Member+

The goals from the 5-1 defeat, if anyone wants to watch.

BBC Sport - Bristol Rovers 5-1 Accrington
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13   #27
God Member

I hope you're right, Shaker, but if I was a betting man I'd also have some money on Bristol Rovers to go up, if they can keep that set of players. I thought their performance was the best from any opposition I've seen this season. Admittedly, everything the Gasheads tried came off and nothing did for Stanley but, unlike the Cheltenham game, I don't think the score-line flattered them. They even scored the goal that was credited to McIntyre. Maybe things would have been different if Devitt's crossbar 'shaker' had gone in early on, but Stanley looked ragged and disorganised. I lost count of the number of over hit crosses that went out for a throw-in or goal kick. The fifth goal was symptomatic of Stanley's day - two players went to close down their player on the touchline but somehow he managed to get a cross in between them that was blasted past Dunbavin. No Stanley player could be criticised more than any other, even Hughes couldn't make any impact when he came on, they were simply out played in virtually every department.
Even the ref had a better game than Stanley.
Let's hope they spoil Creepy Crawley's party on Saturday.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
I hope you're right, Shaker, but if I was a betting man I'd also have some money on Bristol Rovers to go up, if they can keep that set of players. I thought their performance was the best from any opposition I've seen this season. Admittedly, everything the Gasheads tried came off and nothing did for Stanley but, unlike the Cheltenham game, I don't think the score-line flattered them. They even scored the goal that was credited to McIntyre. Maybe things would have been different if Devitt's crossbar 'shaker' had gone in early on, but Stanley looked ragged and disorganised. I lost count of the number of over hit crosses that went out for a throw-in or goal kick. The fifth goal was symptomatic of Stanley's day - two players went to close down their player on the touchline but somehow he managed to get a cross in between them that was blasted past Dunbavin. No Stanley player could be criticised more than any other, even Hughes couldn't make any impact when he came on, they were simply out played in virtually every department.
Even the ref had a better game than Stanley.
Let's hope they spoil Creepy Crawley's party on Saturday.
Agree 100%. The lack of organisation is a worry. I see huge effort from the players individually but too often we seem to be just that - a team of hard-working individuals. In the absence of organisation and shape, the useless long ball to the lone striker becomes almost inevitable.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:52   #29
Senior Member+

Interesting opinions,I think another factor will be what money cooky has to spend to attract players and the overall budget.Suspect there will be a big change in personal this summer
Old 01-05-2012, 16:18   #30
God Member

I can't judge on what football Cook is producing because I've only seen two games since he took over nad he has had a very depleted squad to choose from. I'm not over enamoured with the results though.

But he talks a good fight for the off the pitch activities and so long as that side of the club is advancing then I can more than handle another season of few results on the pitch - so long as we aren't battling at the bottom!
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..