Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2013, 19:17   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Bristol Rovers match thread

BBC live text doesn't usually do adjectives, but described one of Rab's first half saves as "brilliant" and one on 87 minutes as "fantastic". Anyone able to confirm or deny?

Amazing how often someone gets slated on here and then comes good
Old 20-04-2013, 19:31   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
BBC live text doesn't usually do adjectives, but described one of Rab's first half saves as "brilliant" and one on 87 minutes as "fantastic". Anyone able to confirm or deny?
To be honest, I wasn't aware that he made an outstanding save. What I would say, though, is that Tom Aldred was absolutely magnificent this afternoon. Yes, Moly will get the credit for his goal although he was fairly anonymous for the remainder of the game. Aldred, though, was a tower of strength throughout.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 19:32   #78
God Member

FANTASTIC STUFF . 'ONYA REDMEN.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 20:09   #79
Senior Member+

How big was todays win? Take a look at the league as it stands now. Aldershot are down and the next six clubs separated by two points, Stanley were the only team "in trouble" who saved themselves. Totally massive win. We can relax, get some easy sleep and look forward destroying Oxford next Saturday. I hope the lads got a nice bonus today.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 20:26   #80

Great performance from stanley this afternoon.

Lingazi is very good player. If we somehow manage to keep him for next season that'd be brilliant. He was comfortable on the ball today and seemed very good at winning back possession, but not only just doing that but managing to keep the ball too. Also showed some great touches, which was excellent.

The back four looked solid - Aldred and Dean played well as a partnership, Peter was consistent - they attacked down his side a lot in the first half and he dealt with it well. I'm really pleased for Dean and Peter, they've been at the club a long while now, and its great for them to be two of the senior players in a side that stayed up in quite some style.

Lee Molyneux is a super player. Great attitude and is strong as well.

Also, I do think it needs to be said that it seems that the side was well drilled. The back four moved as a unit. I was very impressed with how they didn't give Bristol anything. I know Rovers were safe at this point, but still the lads did their job in not giving anything away.

Towards the end of the game we kept the ball well. Jeffers helped with this. Good touches and pointing out the simple balls to Moly, Lawrence and Luke. You could tell from the 20 minutes he played that he's a classy player. If we can get him signed up for next year I'd be very happy.

Finally I think credit needs to go to Leam and the other coaching staff [and senior players]. It does seem that its a real group effort with quite a few of the lads cajoling and giving instructions from the bench. They've created not only great team spirit, but also a pretty handy side. Leam's signings have all been good - Beattie has 7 goals, Jeffers got a couple in the Wimbledon game, Wilson has been solid, Lingazi has been class, Hughes would have been a good signing had injury not cut his stay short, and Aldred is a good defender and a winner.

Basically those players replaced other lads we had on loan and one or two others we let go of in January. Leam has been quite shrewd in building his own side after I think we were left a bit short of decent pros when Paul Cook left. Leam deserves a hell of a lot of credit for that. When Cooky was made manager I was pleased we'd kind of appointed from within - someone who knew the club. But I do think that Leam was the better candidate from within the club. And I love it that we've got someone managing the side who knows the Stanley way and how unique our club is. This is evident in the fact that Jimmy Bell travelled down and stood with us in the away end as a supporter!

Here's to three points next saturday and hopefully another good season following the Stanley!
Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 20:44   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I wonder if they'll let me have a seat on the Pompey supporter's coach
I think Pompey will bring a huge support. Remember seeing them at a Friday night game in Tranmere last time they were at League 2 level. Packing out the train back to Liverpool Central Station. The chimes ringing out across the ground. It was amazing.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 21:21   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
I think Pompey will bring a huge support. Remember seeing them at a Friday night game in Tranmere last time they were at League 2 level. Packing out the train back to Liverpool Central Station. The chimes ringing out across the ground. It was amazing.
I can remember Pompey coming to Peel Park, in 50s, Never seen such a massive support in Accy.
Old 20-04-2013, 21:50   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I can remember Pompey coming to Peel Park, in 50s, Never seen such a massive support in Accy.
If Pompey have a half-decent season, home crowds will probably regularly be in excess of 15000. Over 18000 today to celebrate the Supporters' Trust victory (and relegation). They'll be very short of cash to begin with though, but with those gates they should strengthen quickly. Be good to get 'em at the Crown (but not at Fratton) on opening day .
Old 20-04-2013, 23:01   #84
Senior Member+

12000+ Cashy, I was there too, great cup game 0-0. '58/59.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 23:08   #85

All credit to the Rovers's fans too who sang,"You are staying up!"
to the Stanley at the close of the match.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 03:20   #86
Senior Member+

And Breathe!!!!!! - to quote our antipodean supporter - GOOD ONYA!!!
Got to admit, I was a doubting Thomas at first (in my own home - and may have voiced my opinion on here), but I would like to think I was supportive of Leam and the team and now, would the Board and management please sign up players now for next season and possibly beyond (offer them all 2 season contracts) then if others come knocking - make them pay and pay big for them.
Officially working next Saturday, but now looking to get the day off and come and join the party.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!

Last edited by Outback Ozzy; 21-04-2013 at 03:23.
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 03:33   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
And Breathe!!!!!! - to quote our antipodean supporter - GOOD ONYA!!!
Got to admit, I was a doubting Thomas at first (in my own home - and may have voiced my opinion on here), but I would like to think I was supportive of Leam and the team and now, would the Board and management please sign up players now for next season and possibly beyond (offer them all 2 season contracts) then if others come knocking - make them pay and pay big for them.
Officially working next Saturday, but now looking to get the day off and come and join the party.
Day off booked, now I can come to the party

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:05   #88

they have a guy with a bell, poor man's canvey island
Alvin the chipmunk likes this.
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:41   #89
Senior Member+

Well my two pence worth......

First of all, well done to Leam and the lads, to keep us in this league for another year is a great achievement. Hopefully we do it 5 games before the end next season . To be bottom a few weeks ago and to be within a few points of mid table now is nothing short of brilliant, they certainly are up for a fight.

So to yesterday..... One of my all time favorite away days. Nice people, Nice ground, Nice result . They all seemed genuinely happy we had stayed up, so fair play to them.

Linganzi and Molyneux again where a class apart. What would I do to keep them on next year!!! Aldred was an absolute rock at the back again. Essential we try and keep hold of all three.

Chubs had probably his best game between the sticks for us, without doing anything spectacular he looked solid and never missed a ball.

Was great to see the strength in depth we have with the likes of Jeffers and Beattie on the bench. They both seemed to be enjoying it here, wonder if they would extend their stays by 12 months??? As there is no doubt it is beneficial to the younger lads having them about.

Looking at the team as a whole and looking at what Leam said after the game yesterday, he wishes the season was starting now. I would have to agree, we could be a match for anybody at the moment and I can only hope we can hold on to the majority of the lads next year.

Roll on Oxford next week, Party time
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:45   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Chubs musta done great,if twas better n his York performance?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..