Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2023, 18:39   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Cambridge Unites Match Thread 29th April 2023

If recruitment last summer was difficult, especially for strikers, what will it be like this close season with the loss of status and a diminished budget? I fear this team would struggle in League 2 and drop straight through into the National League.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2023, 07:29   #47

It's easy to assume the addition of a proven striker would solve all our woes. It wouldn't!
Our current problems are deeper rooted than individual ability.
I seriously doubt if Harry Kane would make much difference to our goal tally, he wouldn't get the chance.
Stanley's rise from non-league wasn't because we had better players than other teams. It was because we played better football.
Saturday proved that philosophy beyond doubt.
Cambridge were nothing special, but their game plan was simple - control the ball and you control the game!
Over to you Mr Coleman
pifco and Watchdog like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:00   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
It's easy to assume the addition of a proven striker would solve all our woes. It wouldn't!
I seriously doubt if Harry Kane would make much difference to our goal tally, he wouldn't get the chance.
Stanley's rise from non-league wasn't because we had better players than other teams. It was because we played better football.
Cambridge were nothing special, but their game plan was simple - control the ball and you control the game!
Over to you Mr Coleman
Scouts report to Cambridge manager:-
Play on the break quickly has they push a high line with their back 3 that have no pace, target balls to right corner flag has their current wing back can't defend at all always out of position, don't worry about them as a threat non- existant passing ability just bring the ball with snow on it back under control when it comes back out of orbit, finally defender,s just keep a tidy back line no need to worry about a goal threat has they don't possess one.
PS. Score first and the 3 points are yours also don't worry about opposition bench has they will be in the 4th official,s ear.
Watchdog likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:50   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Scouts report to Cambridge manager:-
Play on the break quickly has they push a high line with their back 3 that have no pace, target balls to right corner flag has their current wing back can't defend at all always out of position, don't worry about them as a threat non- existant passing ability just bring the ball with snow on it back under control when it comes back out of orbit, finally defender,s just keep a tidy back line no need to worry about a goal threat has they don't possess one.
PS. Score first and the 3 points are yours also don't worry about opposition bench has they will be in the 4th official,s ear.
Can’t argue with any of that, and I doubt it was very different for most opposition managers. The only thing it omits is ‘chase them down in their own half and you’ll quickly get the ball’.
andyd likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:17   #50
God Member

Next season in league 2 could be one of the most important in the club that is Accrington Stanley we aren't a Bristol Rovers who Coleman quoted has bouncing straight back clubs like Rover's, Notts County etc can still command decent gates in the National league we wouldn't and we have to arrest any thoughts of a slide down, we need to establish ourselves from the off has a top league 2 side and if in the first 3 months of next season we haven't that's the time for a complete change in the management structure hopefully it won't come to that and John£Co will recruit well this summer, no room for sentiment in this game move out the ones he has said weren't good enough this season because league 2 is a different ball game and we can't afford to carry them.
Watchdog likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:24   #51
God Member

Smile Re: Cambridge United Match Thread 29th April 2023

I agree with you Andy about the slide into Conference... must not happen.

I have to disagree with Coley on his comments about poor recruitment.

Players were signed for future years and 23's, far too many had to be played too often this season.

As well as the long term injured - JRB/Morgan Etc. - we were without 'key' players too often also - Seamus being a standout example.

Add to that, Sean being out for weeks at a time, Pritchards season ending early, Tommy being injured, Mitch missing 6/8 weeks and these are just off the top of my head.

Our budget would never survive that

We spent over 10 seasons in League 2 last time, give me that now and I would be happy - though bouncing right back would put a smile on my face too

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:25   #52
God Member

Smile Re: Cambridge Unites Match Thread 29th April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Over to you Mr Coleman

Your Lordship, I believe that if Colby was with us this season, we would not have gone down.....

Old 01-05-2023, 12:13   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Your Lordship, I believe that if Colby was with us this season, we would not have gone down.....
Well Val, even decent strikers need opportunities
There's something fundamentally wrong when you consider that Saturday was our 45th game of the season yet we played like a pub team.
We never looked close to scoring because we created nothing, relying on aimless long balls.
Cambridge simply marked Pressley & Lowe out of the game.
As I said before, even Harry Kane would have drawn a blank leading our clueless attack.
Watchdog likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 16:24   #54
Full Member+

Sad that a drop into league 2 will likely give a lifeline to certain players favoured by our management where really they should be jettisoned to non league football.
yonmon likes this.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 19:59   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Sad that a drop into league 2 will likely give a lifeline to certain players favoured by our management where really they should be jettisoned to non league football.
Come on then …. Name and shame
Watchdog likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:20   #56
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Come on then …. Name and shame

I knew you wouldnt be able to resist asking
Old 03-05-2023, 08:11   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
And I knew you wouldn't have the courage to reply constructively.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 22:20   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
And I knew you wouldn't have the courage to reply constructively.
Obviously nobody ever taught you two how to play nicely ☹️
andyd likes this.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:51   #59
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Obviously nobody ever taught you two how to play nicely ☹️
Agreed spur of the moment thing. For my part, apologies to 28, hopefully taken in good spirit.
Old 04-05-2023, 14:31   #60
God Member

And to compound things, they lost at Burton.....

Some will say that they won the game they needed to, but I just think we missed the opportunity...............

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..