Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2023, 15:44   #31
God Member

Re: Cambridge Unites Match Thread 29th April 2023

yeah a spotty ,,,2-1..
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2023, 15:45   #32
God Member

Are Elvis 's goals only from the spot ?
Old 29-04-2023, 15:47   #33
God Member

Morecombe making it even more of a Houdini act
Old 29-04-2023, 16:00   #34
God Member

feed up Sundaynow,,,and i have to go out to lunch with mummny in law
Old 29-04-2023, 17:07   #35
Senior Member+

Someone said ' Poor Stanley ' to me as I left the ground..
And ' poor ' was the operative word I'm afraid !.
For such an important game the team selection was poor,
the Manager's chosen tactics were poor, the quality of play from almost all the team was poor. And all this against a Cambridge team who were also poor !.
Weaknesses were apparent in key areas in particular in defence who got little cover from a struggling midfield.
Our ' Strikers' didn't and thus were totally ineffective, and overall there was a lack of the steel and purpose required for this occasion.
In his Radio interview the Manager did have the grace to admit that throughout the season the Stanley have 'not been good enough '.. and this fact was underlined for us all this afternoon at the Wham/Crown !.
Disappointing but somehow inevitable ?..
( But nevertheless my Season Ticket is safely stored away until the Autumn ! ).
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 17:25   #36

Well the fans turned up today - shame the team didn't!
There was only one team playing football today & it wasn't Stanley.
Cambridge out-thought & out-passed Stanley from kick off & their first goal seemed almost inevitable.
Stanley by comparison played like a team of strangers.
Devoid of ideas, ability & skill, they simply hoofed their way into L2.
Todays defeat was as much to do with poor tactics as poor play & the management must accept much of the blame.
In the first half especially, we barely strung a single pass together & relied on panicky long balls to no one in particular, which proved meat & drink to the Ewe's big defenders.
The subs made more impact but it was all too little too late. Apart from a penalty award, we never looked like scoring from open play.
Adieu to L1, it was good while it lasted
Ps. Well done the Shrimps! They battled to overcome a 0-2 deficit at half time to win 3-2.
Good luck Morecambe! You showed a fighting spirit Stanley lacked.
yonmon and Watchdog like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 17:39   #37
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Well the fans turned up today - shame the team didn't!
There was only one team playing football today & it wasn't Stanley.
Cambridge out-thought & out-passed Stanley from kick off & their first goal seemed almost inevitable.
Stanley by comparison played like a team of strangers.
Devoid of ideas, ability & skill, they simply hoofed their way into L2.
Todays defeat was as much to do with poor tactics as poor play & the management must accept much of the blame.
In the first half especially, we barely strung a single pass together & relied on panicky long balls to no one in particular, which proved meat & drink to the Ewe's big defenders.
The subs made more impact but it was all too little too late. Apart from a penalty award, we never looked like scoring from open play.
Adieu to L1, it was good while it lasted
Ps. Well done the Shrimps! They battled to overcome a 0-2 deficit at half time to win 3-2.
Good luck Morecambe! You showed a fighting spirit Stanley lacked.

Thanks , yes we have had a good run , a draw at Pompy , then wins against Wycombe , Charlton and Lincoln. Cole Stockton has finally found his form with 5 goals in his last 3 games. We still need a miracle though , we need Burton to beat both Cambridge on Wednesday and MK on Sunday and we also need to win at Exeter. I was wanting an Accrington win today which would have probably relegated Cambridge.
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 18:00   #38
Senior Member+

For me the club's goose was cooked by the standard of strikers brought in the Summer compounded by the business in the January transfer window. With the possible exception of Whalley the forwards have had a dismal record for scoring in open play.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 18:20   #39
God Member

Another clueless performance brings an abysmal end to an awful season.
What’s disappointing is that it’s come as no surprise.
For me the writing was on the wall away at FGR and it’s going to need some significant changes if the club are to avoid a repetition in L2.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 21:53   #40

Well that's me done for this season. Our League 2 future beckons.....

Thank you all for your posts, thoughts and often thought provoking comments. I look forward to sharing this message board with you all later in the year.

Enjoy the summer, I know I will......Best Wishes to you all.

CG
pifco and Watchdog like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 22:13   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
Well that's me done for this season. Our League 2 future beckons.....

Thank you all for your posts, thoughts and often thought provoking comments. I look forward to sharing this message board with you all later in the year.

Enjoy the summer, I know I will......Best Wishes to you all.

CG
Au revoir CG !!...
Crown Grounder likes this.
Old 30-04-2023, 07:42   #42
God Member

Well Choirboy-your appointment as thread starter didn't last long. Wellcome to the scrap heap.
choirboy likes this.
Old 30-04-2023, 09:11   #43
Full Member+

I hope Hamilton is okay after being shot just before the first goal to leave Dunk free.

The turnstiles need fixing before next season, they were accepting the season cards/tickets but not moving sometimes. The girl behind the turnstile said you had to scan it again, which was rubbish as they won't accept another and when denied (as it clearly accepted the first and was told okay) was told to go to the ticket office and the queue of 100 people for them to tell us it had been used no doubt.

Then the scoreboard broke, and then the team.

The last time we got relegated in 1999 was a turning point with Coley coming in, that was 39 years since the previous one.

The 1999 relegation lead to an uphill rise, eventually getting into the conference (even that had seemed impossible) the League. The 1960 one put us into Division 4 but we soon went out of business. This time we are back in Division 4, with better facilities than 8 years ago and a new long term lease on the ground. I don't mind League 2, I was even excited when the NWC was formed 40+ years ago and we were in it, I just hope we stabilise next season and don't fall back into the abyss.

Having a football league is an asset to the town and borough, and support has grown over ten years since we got 1000 at home in the recent nadir, and hope it will continue.
yonmon, pifco and chevyfire like this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 12:36   #44

Perhaps the defining moment yesterday was the loss of Conneely in the 21st minute.
Our midfield simply evaporated, putting the defence under constant pressure & starving our forwards of any real opportunities.
It shows how crucial an effective midfield is in protecting the defence & providing the right service to strikers.
To use a boxing metaphor, the defence are the sturdy legs, the attack the fast arms - but the midfield is the brain that co-ordinates everything.
yonmon and Watchdog like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 12:45   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I hope Hamilton is okay after being shot just before the first goal to leave Dunk free.

The turnstiles need fixing before next season, they were accepting the season cards/tickets but not moving sometimes. The girl behind the turnstile said you had to scan it again, which was rubbish as they won't accept another and when denied (as it clearly accepted the first and was told okay) was told to go to the ticket office and the queue of 100 people for them to tell us it had been used no doubt.

Then the scoreboard broke, and then the team.

The last time we got relegated in 1999 was a turning point with Coley coming in, that was 39 years since the previous one.

The 1999 relegation lead to an uphill rise, eventually getting into the conference (even that had seemed impossible) the League. The 1960 one put us into Division 4 but we soon went out of business. This time we are back in Division 4, with better facilities than 8 years ago and a new long term lease on the ground. I don't mind League 2, I was even excited when the NWC was formed 40+ years ago and we were in it, I just hope we stabilise next season and don't fall back into the abyss.

Having a football league is an asset to the town and borough, and support has grown over ten years since we got 1000 at home in the recent nadir, and hope it will continue.
Can't really level any criticism against any one player C... Presently, In the cold light of day the memory that stands out for me is how the Management Team and the entire squad totally capitulated without making any sort of serious effort whatsoever, proving to anyone watching that their best wasn't anywhere near good enough for League One.
Seems like 'The Stanley Spirit' was a concept which the Team psyche just couldn't embrace to provide the relegation fight so much needed yesterday !.
It saddens me to reach these conclusions which I am sure will be shared by.many fans on our Forum and elsewhere.!.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..