Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2008, 19:37   #1
God Member

Canvassing Opinion

I just wondered what people thought of Local Media coverage that we recieve at Stanley?

I am looking/trying to set up a weekly column with the local papers in Pendle, Burnley & the Ribble Valley, to include Match Reports, behind the scenes interviews basically everything Stanley and include Gold Bond Results etc. to cater for Stanley fans in these areas and maybe help generate interest in Stanley to a new audience. I am wondering if this idea would appeal to the Stanley Fans who live or work in these areas for a start?

This may come to nothing but unless you ask you don't get

Also comments on Media Coverage as a whole would be welcome as well

Thanks
Neil

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2008, 19:44   #2
God Member

Re: Canvassing Opinion

I will start, yesterday I had to put up with nearly 3 bloody hours of Morecambe FC c*** on BBC Radio Lancs, all because thier game against Grimsby was called off due to a frozen pitch!!!

They interviewd the Chief Exec,The Groundsman, gave coverage to their Football in the Community people and even had a Dingle on who took great delight in slagging Stanley fans

Why wont BBC Lancs cover Stanley, have we upset them?

Rant over (for now!!)

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 21:09   #3
Dan
Senior Member+

I appreciate that I am far from impartial on this subject, but maybe I can contribute something to the thread. Possibly. I hope!

Basically, one of the main problems with our business (ie radio) is getting something fresh each hour (or every couple of hours for sports bulletins). We try very hard to have something Stanley related in those sports bulletins every day - and the day before a game, match day and the day after there is pretty much Stanley coverage every hour.

The point I'm trying to make is that the less frequent the deadlines then the easier this idea would be to carry through. So if Pendle Red (and I apologise if I'm misinterpreting what you are saying) is proposing a column in a weekly or twice weekly paper then theoretically it's possible. The problems are a) contributors and b) potential audience.

To deal with a) a while ago I appealed to fans on here and elsewhere for contributions to our sports output and got about half a dozen responses. This is NOT me having a go, but that wasn't enough for us to run it -with that in mind Google Page Ranking you'd need to be clear who was doing what - would the sports department at the paper be responsible for the content, or volunteers or the club?

And as far as b) goes, the simple (and unpalatable) fact is that editors will only go with something if they think it will boost the number of readers (or indeed listeners).

I'm not sure I answered any questions here, but hopefully helped a bit...

P.S: I would LOVE for us to be able to have huge, extensive and in depth Stanley coverage every day of the week, but it's simply a question of resources!

I hope that people enjoy what we can provide...

Dan

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 21:17   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
I am looking/trying to set up a weekly column with the local papers in Pendle, Burnley & the Ribble Valley
Should go down well in the pubs in Whalley.
Old 20-02-2008, 21:20   #5
God Member

Hehehe Dan think we'd like more live coverages but alas cant be covering 2 at once & the bigger brother always wins LOL

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 21:21   #6
God Member

Are there not already columns in the Observer and Telegraph ?

The problem with the written media these days is that it is out of date before it gets printed due to the internet.
Old 20-02-2008, 21:22   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Hehehe Dan think we'd like more live coverages but alas cant be covering 2 at once & the bigger brother always wins LOL
Old 20-02-2008, 22:06   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The problem with the written media these days is that it is out of date before it gets printed due to the internet.

not at Stanley
Old 20-02-2008, 22:11   #9
God Member

I think we get what we deserve on this side of Hapton. The Telegraph gives us whatever is appropriate on the back cover, Loweiys column, Jimmy's column, full page preview and centre double page spread match reports. Observer gives us three pages every issue and sometimes more.

2BR does what it can, and the other stations feature bits where ever it is needed.

What is needed is more input from the fans. There are 20 regular posters on here who could all use the phone in on monday night on Radio Morec... I mean Lancs.

Can you imagine the fun we could have with the Coley In Out In Out shake him all about programme?

Until everyone gets the message that we are all in some way responsible for the success or failure of our club then there is little hope of things improving in a big way.

Go for it Google Page Ranking -you can only be told no.
Old 20-02-2008, 22:52   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
not at Stanley
Nice one.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 23:11   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Nice one.
Careful Mr Dry Wit for a moment it looked as though you where congratulating macca for having a negative dig at the club, surely not.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 23:14   #12
God Member

ah but smiley face makes it ironic rather than negative
Old 20-02-2008, 23:28   #13
Full Member+

Any extra publicity for the club has got to be a good thing- be it long term or short term. However, whilst I'm unaware whether Pendle Red has any official role within the club, It's my opinion ( which may be shared by others) that the hierarchy at this club have never grasped the full opportunity to promote the club properly since our elevation from the non- leagues and our Conference title winning season.

The local press have tried to accomodate. The L.E.T. has certainly expanded on Stanley coverage since our elevation to the Football League and more often than not contains a two page spread. The Observer has in recent years had extensive coverage (covering several pages) of the Red's fortunes with in depth match reports and match previews. However counter this with the somewhat "pedantic" stance taken by the club of banning officials speaking to the Observer in light of the recent "poll" (i.e. Has Coley taken A.S.F.C. as far as he can)and this action has probably damaged any ties the club has built with the local media. These ties will probably take sensitive repair work by both parties (i.e. the club and the Observer).

As for Local radio, it's good to see that 2BR has made a real effort to provide full match commentary when possible. However, whilst this is great when Stanley are away from home, I can't help feeling full match commentary has an effect on attendances when Stanley are home at the F.E.S. Radio Lancashire have in recent years improved on their coverage of Stanley to their credit. The fact that they seem to be covering Morecambe more this season probably has two reasons:

1) Morecambe are in their first season in the Football League and..

2) Morecambe are having a very successful first season in their first season.

That said, refer back to my opening paragraph of this post. Whilst the club has bemoaned the lack of home support / season ticket sales,it seems to me at least, that it's left to other parties to promote the club.Be it the local media, the O.S.C. or volunteers.

Admittedly I suppose the club is still on a learning curve on how to adapt to life as a Football League club. However, It's just MY opinion, I can't help but feel the club could be doing more to promote itself and make itself more appealing to the local public. Somewhere out there are something in the region of 1200 extra fans who came regularly in our Conference title winning season. There are probably more,who, with the right coaxing might just be tempted to get down to the F.E.S. and support the Reds.

Bearing all this in mind, one thing is clear. If nothing is done to address the current apathy that is being showed towards the club, then the club can just as easily slide back into non-league obscurity just as quickly as it propelled itself back into the Football League. One thing is for sure.... If the club and it's supporters continue to pull in the opposite direction then the club will get nowhere fast. If the club and it's supporters (be they the present loyal hardcore or the prospective "floating supporter" ) pull in the same direction then who knows what could be possible ??

Karma on it's way for your efforts Pendle Red and I wish you every success on your efforts.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 23:40   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Careful Mr Dry Wit ...
Thanks, I'll treasure that.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 14:22   #15
Dan
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
What is needed is more input from the fans. There are 20 regular posters on here who could all use the phone in on monday night on Radio Morec... I mean Lancs.

Can you imagine the fun we could have with the Coley In Out In Out shake him all about programme?
If we could get a dozen contributors we'd run a weekly fans feature...

[email protected] on the off chance that anybody's interested

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..