Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2014, 15:40   #16
God Member

Re: Cheltenham Town Match Thread.....

G'lad Kal .........never doubted him
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2014, 15:47   #17
God Member

Well, that didn't last so bloody long 2 - 1 down
Old 16-08-2014, 15:54   #18

naismith chips the penalty over the bar,
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 15:59   #19
God Member

Talk about hero to zero . . . . . poor lad'll be gutted
Old 16-08-2014, 16:21   #20
Senior Member+

Let's get rid who the hell does he think he is! A point on a plate and he thinks he's chuffin' Messi. Take a long hard look at yourself lad... you are at best an average, erratic under performing league 2 footballer.
Old 16-08-2014, 16:49   #21
Full Member+

I reckon Eric Whalley wouldn't have paid 'im wi' washers!!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 16:50   #22
Full Member+

Shambles - arguing over who takes the penalty then missing the target.

Too much time on the sunbed
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 17:09   #23

Sunbeds would never have missed!
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 18:57   #24
God Member

What a depressing journey home. Very, very poor performance from Stanley today, which culminated in Naismith clutching defeat from the jaws of an undeserved draw. The only consolation is that it was the softest penalty I've seen in a long time. Suspect it was to make up for the one not given to Buxton earlier. The plusses won't take long...Simpson was excellent, Windass did well in midfield, and Bowerman, when he finally came on, showed great spirit and his battling attitude led to the equaliser. Atkinson had a good game, the only downside being that Aldred, being pushed left, didn't particularly. Cheltenham were quicker to the ball, stronger in the tussle, and used forward passes into space for their players to run on to. They used wingers who kept Buxton and Mustoe pinned back and got behind Stanley's defence at will in the first half. Their crosses and corners were threatening most times. With a few exceptions, Stanley looked stale and clueless. Too much standing still waiting for the ball to arrive, if it ever did. Hunt as a midfielder, even in an emergency, did not work. Mustoe offers nothing that Liddle can. Alabi, despite his physique, seemed to be out-muscled and worked only one decent shot, just over the bar, in the first half.
You'd think the team had only just been assembled in pre-season, such was their lack of fluidity and movement.
Like our heat wave, the season of optimism has quickly faded. Much hard work ahead.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 19:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
What a depressing journey home. Very, very poor performance from Stanley today, which culminated in Naismith clutching defeat from the jaws of an undeserved draw. The only consolation is that it was the softest penalty I've seen in a long time. Suspect it was to make up for the one not given to Buxton earlier. The plusses won't take long...Simpson was excellent, Windass did well in midfield, and Bowerman, when he finally came on, showed great spirit and his battling attitude led to the equaliser. Atkinson had a good game, the only downside being that Aldred, being pushed left, didn't particularly. Cheltenham were quicker to the ball, stronger in the tussle, and used forward passes into space for their players to run on to. They used wingers who kept Buxton and Mustoe pinned back and got behind Stanley's defence at will in the first half. Their crosses and corners were threatening most times. With a few exceptions, Stanley looked stale and clueless. Too much standing still waiting for the ball to arrive, if it ever did. Hunt as a midfielder, even in an emergency, did not work. Mustoe offers nothing that Liddle can. Alabi, despite his physique, seemed to be out-muscled and worked only one decent shot, just over the bar, in the first half.
You'd think the team had only just been assembled in pre-season, such was their lack of fluidity and movement.
Like our heat wave, the season of optimism has quickly faded. Much hard work ahead.
Agree with almost everything said above except for Windass, who IMO was one of the worst performances, toast ally flatters to deceive with his occasional raking pass or run which catches the eye but simply does not contribute enough as a centre midfield player yet.

Big lad up front shows flashes but is nowhere near ready at this level, both full backs/wing backs poor, Hunt awful. Would much rather see Hatfield and mingoias work rate in midfield,

Need a nasty horrible centre mid who is going to impose himself on the game and even though he was decent early today still need a keeper.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 19:30   #26
Senior Member+

Well my two pence worth......

Gutted, dejected, worried are more or less my 3 emotions after today.

Make no mistake, the scoreline flattered us. We could and should have lost 4 or 5. Exile more or less sums the game up rather well. We never looked like winning or snatching a draw for that matter. As for the last minute, Naismith really needs to take a look at himself after that. To chip a penalty when your club is pointless really is a ridiculous thing to do.

As for the positives........... Young Simpson really has proved himself as the number 1 keeper after today. He made 2 magnificent saves, particularly the 1 in the 1st half was world class. Well done young man. Beatts has found a gem there, that's for sure.
Mingoia and Bowerman both made a big impact when introduced. Hopefully we see more of George as there is no doubt he can be an asset. Also thought Atkinson was brilliant today.

As for the negatives............. Everybody else really !! Kind of sums up my feelings. Alabi looked lethargic and slow and for me is WAY off the pace/ fitness required to the play at the moment. Again we looked slow in midfield. Hunt/ Windass doesnt look the right pairing, in my personal opinion. Hunt has played all his career at Right Back. Why change him now??? .... But who else can we play there??? Buxton maybe??

Worrying times that's for sure
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 19:51   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Agree 100% about the missed penalty, its fine trying summat like it on when yer 2 or3 up near game end, but when yer losing, utterly ridiculous. sod off to Bury i say. also i fail to understand why when the opposition get a corner NO MAN is placed on the post?? the fact we aint doing that is down to poor instruction as far as i'm concerned.
Old 16-08-2014, 20:07   #28
Senior Member+

It's all been said already. Simpson was excellent. Atkinson was outstanding - certainly MOM for me. Why on earth did Mingoia not start? Once he came on, along with Bowerman, we actually looked a bit dangerous. I cannot imagine why we have gained Mustoe - he is not a patch on Liddle.

The officials once again were abysmal. But that does not excuse Stanley's display.
cashman and BTLawson like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 20:18   #29
Senior Member+

As stated before the season began, Hunt is not the answer in midfield and Joyce has proven himself to be at best an average player at league 2 level.
We need 2 central midfielders.
smudgie likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 21:15   #30
Senior Member+

Didn't go the game today so it's hard to comment on it.
As Davo once said,let's take a look after ten games.
Firstly the team has five rookies in it,a full back playing in midfield ,the captain sidelined and playing a system that is totally alien to them,so I wasn't really surprised.
Letting murph go was a mistake IMHO and he has not been replaced.
Same goes for big Kayo.
Confident things will turn around as long as we don't fall into the trap of making big changes to accommodate players who flatter to deceive..
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..