Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2004, 13:46   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Crap

However you look at it Mick, the two goals yesterday were soft goals. One was a virtually free header, while the other was a defensive shambles leading to the penalty. Any team worth their salt should be able to deal with a long punt down the middle, afterall, the opposition seem to deal with our mindless punts week in/week out.

I'm not calling for the management's heads, but they must accept some of the blame for our present predicament. For example, when we got rid of Calcutt and Rory hobbled off in the pre-season game against Burnley, was there any effort made to sign another wide player? Seems very short sighted if there wasn't, afterall we have no width at all at the moment!!!

I don't think I had unrealistic expectations at the beginning of the season. I don't suppose anyone remembers the thread we had going during the Summer where people predicted this season's finishing position. If I remember correctly I was the only one who predicted a middle of the table position, which is a long way from being unrealistic. And yet I feel very disappointed with the way things have transpired over the course of 2004, with only 12 victories from 43 proper competitive games. If there were signs of things improving then fair enough, but if anything we seem to be going backwards.

Like Mick, I've been watching Stanley for a long time (this is my 27th season) and during that time I've seen some rubbish, as well as the truly excellent. However, after years of seeing us going forward it pains me to see us come so far, only to see us stagnate and decline at such an important stage.

Perhaps it's time for individuals to be realistic and hold their hands up? I know it's not going to be popular with the 'rose-tinted spectacles brigade', but perhaps it's time for changes to be made, before the slope becomes too slippery for recovery?
Old 31-10-2004, 13:56   #32
Senior Member+

Firstly, there are a few posters who only seem to come on this website when things go WRONG (Denise????) i tend to stay off this website after a defeat just because of the "SACK COLEY" posts.

Coley is a legend & needs more than 18 months in the conference for us to get it right. Remember, teams in the confernce have been full time for ages & have had several attempts. We have no divine right to go up just because we all want it to happen.

That said....

Yesterday was DISGUSTING for all concerned. No width, no fight, no passion, no commitment (Mully & Smiffy apart) The was a different speed for 5 mins after they scored but why? Why, don't we storm out at they away team. Why doen't anybody apart from Craney run past Mullers, Why no pace from anybody, why 1 striker against Leigh RMI, why Rocky can't past to a team mate anymore, why Cookie on left wing? Why can we play 20 passes & get nowhere. Coley's not at fault directly because he's currently got a better squad than last year but there are too many centre midfielders (Jaggers, Cook, Brennan, Craney, Williams?) & not enough strikers & full backs.

Positives from yesterday Haworth, Smithy & Mullin - also things may change....

BUT everybody talk about the football not just post sly digs at the management team, a post that reads "Coley is crap, sack him brings nothing to the table.

Coley is the only reason we are here now, & one league is the same as another. He knows what it takes to win the Unibond 1 & Premier then he also will learn what is needed to win the conference.... I'll start John by saying a left back & a sriker to play alongside Mullers. Roscoe from Leigh RMI will do for a start.....

Keeping the faith, Just!

ulltras

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 31-10-2004, 13:57   #33

We were poor against Leigh, and we have been leaking points badly recently, but sacking John Coleman? I thinks that's ridiculous.
We need to get behind him and the boys and encourage them and give them all the support we can.
Come on, lets all enjoy and celebrate after the Oldham game on Tuesday.

Dave
Old 31-10-2004, 15:56   #34
God Member

Although very dissappointed with the result yesterday, I felt sorry for the lads - Coley & Jimmy were shouting different instructions from the dugout & Paul Cook was shouting his own set of instructions on the pitch - no wonder they were all at sea, they didn't know which one to listen to!! Also, talking to one or two of them after the game they were just as gutted, if not more so, than the fans. Personally I think things will improve but Coley may have to have the grace to climb down from his 'this 4.5.1. formation will work' theory & admit he may be wrong sometimes.
How Paul Cook got man of the match yesterday, I don't know - in my mind it could only have gone to either Smithy or Paul Howarth.
Old 31-10-2004, 16:10   #35

That was awfull!!!

Cooky got man of the match!!! obvioulsy who ever deiceded that wasnt watching the game!!

I Think that Paul Mullin should have a word to the manager about this 4-5-1 because it isnt working for him or stanley. Cooky should not be starting games because for a start he didnt start many last season and hes got worse this.

Also i think we should get a sign made Saying

4-4-2 another one for the ultras to think about...

But saying all that i am still 100% behind coley and jimmy for now anyway!!!!
Old 31-10-2004, 16:52   #36
Senior Member+

yeah i totally agree with jase we had a brilliant start and we start losing a couple of games and people look at the management and say SACK COLEY well no

i was talking to shaun tuck after the game and he were saying that if we lose it is all his fault

coley puts in no less than 110%

CMON LETS KICK START AGAINST OLDHAM AND GET BEHIND THE TEAM NOT ASK FOR THERE HEADS TO BE CHOPPED
Old 31-10-2004, 17:38   #37

Yeah totally agree with jase and baldy i just wish more real fans would come on here and show the players and managment what we really feal about them!!!
Old 31-10-2004, 17:50   #38

A word to Mr `Smiffy 16`. I , and I am sure others, will not be keeping our views to ourselves as you wish us to do. The encouragement of discussion is a prime aim of this forum as stated by the moderator. As my criticism was neither silly or stupid it was totally legitimate. My advice to you is to go and goose-step elsewhere! Your statement regarding this in your posting was belligerent and well out of order. I am surprised the moderator hasn't had a word with you already regarding the matter.
Old 31-10-2004, 17:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualtrough
A word to Mr `Smiffy 16`. I , and I am sure others, will not be keeping our views to ourselves as you wish us to do. The encouragement of discussion is a prime aim of this forum as stated by the moderator. As my criticism was neither silly or stupid it was totally legitimate. My advice to you is to go and goose-step elsewhere! Your statement regarding this in your posting was belligerent and well out of order. I am surprised the moderator hasn't had a word with you already regarding the matter.
High Horse > Off it.
Old 31-10-2004, 19:47   #40

made my mind up now steve, [ you know what i think ]
Old 31-10-2004, 20:19   #41

The great thing about the forum is every has an opinion. Thats what makes people intersting. You dont have to agree.......here is mine!

I, like many of you, have been watching Stanley, home and away, for a very long time. I, like many of you, shout and scream and the management trio when im not happy with things. I, unlike some of you, still believe John Coleman and Jimmy Bell are the best men for the job of leading Accrington Stanley.

Having said that,it was bad yesterday. The sponsors who pick the man of the match must have over done the free ale! Paul Cook ran around a lot chasing lost causes but he didn't do anything more. Im not sure if anyone else noticed but when Coley took Proctor off yesterday Cookey seemed to be asking why he wasn't being replaced. In a squad that seems to be jam packed with midfielders, Cookey should not be playing. (IMO)
We need 4 across the middle and 2 up top.
With Lutel's iminent departure (good luck pal) we need to go out and get a 30 goal a season man. Not just another striker, but a real goal scorer. One to play off the legend that is Paul Mullin!
We could do with some decent width too. Jaggers and Ian Craney are not wingers but are played out of position all the time. Lets get Paul Carvill back from Chorley (he was in the bar yesterday) and give him a run.
Finally, remember when Rocky used to play in midfield, he was much more effective than he is as a full back.

Remember.......its only my opinion!
Old 31-10-2004, 20:20   #42
Full Member+

On a more positive note.....when we return to winning ways the lads confidence will come back and the Interlink will become a more intimidating place to play. I`ve lost count of the number of times on rivals message boards away fans were expecting a tougher match than they got,so last seasons hard earned reputation still precedes us. Lets hope we soon get it back.
Old 31-10-2004, 22:00   #43

I agree about Carvill, he looked pretty damn good pre-season and I would welcome him playing on the left giving Evil a chance up-front with Mullin.
Old 31-10-2004, 22:35   #44

Edited as to not look like a fool (Thanks Jase )

Last edited by Accy_Reds; 01-11-2004 at 01:46.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:01   #45

I'll run the risk of criticism, but...........on a fundamental note, is the issue not "Too many Cooks" no pun intended!

Who is running the show, Coleman, Bell or Cooke?

(IMO) Perhaps we have to trim back to a management team of two!

Thoughts?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..