Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2016, 06:45   #1

Colchester and the ghosts of Layer Road

Ah, Colchester United.
As a former Leeds fan the name is etched vividly in my memory. The 3-2 defeat of Leeds in the 1971 FA Cup was more or less regarded as the biggest ever giant killing act at the time. (Although I'm sure someone will be quick to remind me how the mighty Preston were humbled by Ramsbottom Factory Workers FC in 1927.)

the Layer Road ground is no more so hopefully the ghosts of Dave Simmons and Dick Graham will sleep easy under the recently built flats and shops as another giant of Northern football comes to town.

Am I right in assuming this will be Accy's first trip to Colchester? A hell of a distance for anyone who already went to West Ham on weds. Reckon the team will not have much vocal support.

Can't see there being much bother for us in this one if our defence is all fit and minds of the players are back on the pursuit of promotion. Colchester may have made a half decent start but it will take a very good team to deal with our glorious Renaissance right now. I'm not going, but I can hardly wait for 3pm tomorrow.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-09-2016, 07:45   #2
God Member

Re: Colchester and the ghosts of Layer Road

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1177308]Ah, Colchester United.
As a former Leeds fan the name is etched vividly in my memory. The 3-2 defeat of Leeds in the 1971 FA Cup was more or less regarded as the biggest ever giant killing act at the time.

remember that day as if it was yesterday your lordship. sat outside my parents house listening to the game on my lagonda,s car radio. yes i was rich before i got married. i,ve always hated leeds, the team, the city and the railway station. one of the best football days of my life without being at a game. thanks for the memories.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:09   #3

You are most welcome Mr Hanger. I'm sure Mighty Leeds must have kept you very happy over the years.... Sunderland, the descent to Div 1 and numerous other acts of self harm.

Hatred of the railway station though?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:25   #4
God Member

yes i do hate the railway station. as do not use trains much as i can,t afford them you always have to change trains at leeds and i find it totally confusing place but i suppose it suits the inhabitants of that city. glad you,ve come over from the dark side however and hope you can convert others to leave the cellino soap opera. as for blunderland couldn,t care one way or the other about them as i was a pools supporter for years until moving.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 12:13   #5
God Member

Lord D, Saturday's trip is not our first game v Colchester although the last one was at Layer Road, it was the F.A. Cup in 2003/4 season - having despatched of Huddersfield in the first round, Bournemouth in the second (having held them on their own turf & brought them back to the Crown for a memorable penalty shoot out win on a freezing cold night), we were then draw against Colchester at home - this resulted in a draw & therefore a replay at their place, unfortunately we were beaten in that third round game back then - let's hope that we bring happier memories & the three points back from their new ground
cashman likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 12:19   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well remembered di, the replay was 13/1/04 we lost 2-1, i aint remembered that- had to look it up,
Old 23-09-2016, 13:26   #7
God Member

I'm ok with what happened years ago but ask me what I had for tea yesterday - no chance ��
Also if I remember rightly Steve 'Hacker' Halford got a red card at Colchester, after the final whistle, for dissent - bless him!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:54   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I'm ok with what happened years ago but ask me what I had for tea yesterday - no chance ��
Also if I remember rightly Steve 'Hacker' Halford got a red card at Colchester, after the final whistle, for dissent - bless him!
I used to be like that, now i'm just useless fullstop.wait while yeh get older.
Old 23-09-2016, 14:52   #9

Looks like we will be without Seamus tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see how we fare without him. Personally think he'll be a big miss.

I'm guessing a combative duo of Lacey and Brown tomorrow will start in midfield tomorrow.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:02   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Possibly jono as well, but we got a damn good squad this season if thats the case.
Old 23-09-2016, 15:05   #11

If Jonos out I reckon Clarke on the right and Shay behind Billy.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:24   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Reckon that would be ok Inspector.
Old 23-09-2016, 16:03   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
...Also if I remember rightly Steve 'Hacker' Halford got a red card at Colchester, after the final whistle, for dissent - bless him!
A second yellow in the 86th minute for the way he told the ref that their second goal was offside. Since September, he's been joint manager at Stalybridge Celtic. Nice guy, too. Aidan Chippendale who played a few games for us in 2012/13 is a winger there.

Last edited by MikeA; 23-09-2016 at 16:07.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 18:54   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
If Jonos out I reckon Clarke on the right and Shay behind Billy.
The way Shay McCartan was dragging his leg when he was put through a pre-match fitness test on Wednesday night I'd be pleased but surprised if he's fit for Saturday. Hope he's OK, but he looked like he was suffering.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:17   #15
Senior Member+

Remember that Colchester game really well myself and AngeB went expecting a small turnout but it was packed, scuffle in the tunnel at half time then we got abused by locals in the boozer afterwards due to Coley's antics post match...happy days
AccyMad likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..