Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2006, 19:43   #1
God Member

Disappointed.

right here's the lowdown on red and white fortnight.

The Club - Helped where they could and offered themselves if opportunity arose. Donated items and prizes where requested. 8/10

107 The Bee - Invited me to the studio for an interview and gave us plugs all day long 7/10

2BR - Radio Interview followed by various mentions that day. Piece tagged onto news bulletins all day monday. Dan posting on here was good participation as well. 9/10

Rock FM - Recorded interview got airtime here and there and there is still a bigger piece to go out either tomorrow or next friday. 6/10 so far

Lancashire Telegraph - Various mentions in little bits. Couple of photo's so far and a couple more to come. Hopefully a bigger article next week when its nearly over. 7/10 so far

Accrington Observer - A photo in 'social life', a smaller piece on page 17 a couple of weeks to introduce the event and a paragraph in sports last week. Photo's to follow in next weeks supplement that is planned. Disappointing so far but better to come hopefully. Shame that Red and White fortnight will have been and gone by then. 6/10

Accrington Shops - Who? With the exception of the three who have participated (who have made a real effort and we should applaud them and verbally congratulate them) nobody was interested. Not a whisper. Why? Do they not care? Do they not want to back the club and the community? Do they want us to spend money in their shops. Sod em. I'll shop in Blackburn. 0/10

ASFC OSC. - Who? Never heard of 'em. 0/10

The fans in general - When we asked for volunteers to hand out leaflets in town asking shops to participate I had a total of eight myself included. Not great but it was a start. Thank you to those other seven people. Since then there has only been one person who has been in regular-ish touch to try and move this forward. Zayno and Diesel went into town on wednesday to try and drum things up a bit. How did that go? Other than that the interest has been non-existent. From everybody. This was an attempt at on of the greatest Google Page Ranking stunts Stanley fans have attempted and it has fallen flat on its arse cos nobody could be bothered. 0/10

Thank-you
Old 27-07-2006, 19:51   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Disappointed.

Couldn't go on Wednesday Rob but i gave some fixture cards out today outside Fraser Eagle's Worldchoice with Rommy and Julien N'da something should be in next weeks Observer..
Old 27-07-2006, 20:04   #3
Member.

Your disappointment is very tangible and I have little doubt that many people share your disappointment. There are some interesting conclusions that can be drawn as a result of your appraisal of the commitment, or lack of it.

Makes you wonder about the other events that you are considering. I have seen many ideas, views and aspirations expressed on this web site over the last two years and very few have come to pass. It always appears to be small groups of committed individuals who succeed in achieving anything, often for the benefit of the rest of us.

Maybe the answer is in a new way of managing things at supporter Club level as you have suggested whatever the answer something needs to happen.

If you intention was to shame, you’ve been successful in Blackpool. Other than that I can’t offer anything to help. I will ask you not to stop trying.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 20:36   #4

I am really disappointed for you Macca after all the work that you and the few other volunteers put in.

Had I lived in the Accrington area, I would have been very pleased to help (I know that is no consolation), but I am over 200 miles away in Berkshire and it is hard for me to whip up mass support from here.

I would happily do anything I can to publicise the club - I have the car scarf sticker and a scarf on the back ledge of my car, wear the Supporters Club badge proudly on my work suit jacket and have worn my Stanley shirt when shopping in the village. All our firm know I support Accrington Stanley (and I get ribbbed about it) but I don't care at all.

I also try to defend Stanley on other clubs websites and this has led to a lot of good hearted banter with some other fans, especially at Walsall, where I know there should be a big following of their supporters coming to the Fraser Eagle Stadium on 21st October.

If you can suggest any way in which I can help from this distance Macca, I will happily try to take you up on it.

Cheers and thanks

Graham
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 08:43   #5
Senior Member+

You've done your best Rob, & people have joined in

We still a little club but the more we try the more we will do. Personally I've been 16 miles away launching a new business & its been tough. But by Monday, my addition to the campaign should be visible

& I'll be taking an Accy banner to Hibernian v Aberdeen tomorrow, I'll tell the Jocks all about it.

Stanley Ultras have been busy all post pre season, with the games nights, fanzine, football comps, recruitment drive etc etc. We can only do so much & without a good 400 people joining in, we are a little curtailed.

Still doing something & banging your head against a wall is still better then doing nothing.............

We are They I wonder where the Walter Gilbraiths of this world are when we need help & assistance ...........

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 12:32   #6
Dan
Senior Member+

Thanks for the kind words Rob

I would've hoped that all this publicity would have helped a bit. But clearly people need more motivation. Which as the title of this thread suggests, is disappointing.

So Rob, and Jase and any of the rest of you who have events and ideas to publicise, then you know where I am ([email protected])

Myself and 2BR will always try to do our best for this club

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 14:07   #7

Did my bit for you Macca

Photo in last Mondays Telegraph and this weeks Accy Observer

Gutted that you where let down by others, seems to the norm in this day and age and when people do help it always seems to be the same ones

Awaiting my score out of 10 from you

Does this make me an "Ultra"?
Old 04-08-2006, 14:15   #8
God Member

hes gone on holiday mate ... dunno who is running red white fortnight now..

As for help... you cant make people be interested in what you see as a great idea... if others dont think its a good idea then thats up to them.. The only people you can moan at is anyone who offered to help then didnt... they let people down.. broken promises.... but everyone else.. you cant really have a go at anyone else for not getting into it.
Old 04-08-2006, 14:18   #9

Not having an argument with you Kipax we are all entiled to state our opinions are we not?
Old 04-08-2006, 14:22   #10
God Member

eh? what argument and who said anything about not voicing opinions? and for the record my comments where aimed at the thread...dissapointed... the whole thread seems to be having a go at people for not helping.. i dont see how thats right.. wasnt about you vic . now your talking about arguments and right to opinions? ffs what did i do ?

yes i saw the smiles.. i also read the content
Old 04-08-2006, 14:29   #11

Sorry Kipax
Thought you where repling to my comments as you posted within minutes of my post and the previous post was on 28th july

I would send you some Karma but don't know how
Old 04-08-2006, 15:03   #12
God Member

Its OK mate.. no point giving it me.. kisser will just come along and take it off again .... hehe now thats sarcasm
Old 04-08-2006, 18:01   #13
Senior Member+

I'd still be disappointed if I'd put the effort in Rob Russell has so he has every right to have a go. Whether its because you think the idea is naff or you just haven't had time, its still disappointing

Would have loved to have seen the town red & white & am still convinced that the Rob's idea is THE only thing anybody has done to commemorate Stanley back in the League after 44 years

There should have been marching bands, balloons, parades, functions etc etc

Its now left to Stanley Ultras to try a organise a parade for Tuesday when plannning by councils etc would have really marked the occasion. As it is it will pass with only the Media interested & the Town folk indifferent ....

Oh Well, we'll never have waited 44 years for league Football again

On a brighter note, bought my new home shirt very impressed & three went while I was in there. Then as an addition to red & white fortnight I displayed the On Stanley On flag on the side ofn the Arndale for 40 minutues in rush hour. HAd loads of horns beeping

Roll on tomorrow &a sing song in the riflemans!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 18:14   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller
I'd still be disappointed if I'd put the effort in Rob Russell has so he has every right to have a go. Whether its because you think the idea is naff or you just haven't had time, its still disappointing

Be dissapointed... thats OK ... It is dissapointing so a natural reaction....

But don't put the blame on every single accy fan just because they didn't help for whatever reason. Thats all I am saying... Some people (well most I guess) just arn't doers.. You shouldn't attack them for that..
Old 04-08-2006, 18:45   #15
God Member

dont be dissappointed rome wasnt built in a day
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..