Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 12:39   #1
Full Member+

Fleetwood Town and Andy Mangan

Our ex player scored twice yesterday for Fleetwood taking them five points clear of Wrexham having played a game more, meaning that automatic promotion is now in their own hands. If they come up do you think that they'll do well in the League, maybe even do a Crawley, or will they struggle? what do you reckon about Andy Mangan, he seems to be proving himself in the Conference, would he be "prolific" back in the Footy League, and how did you rate him when he was at Stanley?
I went to watch Fleetwood at home to AFC Telford about 5 years ago. When i say watch i meant that i got there only to find that the game had been rained off. Stanley were away that day so i thought i'd spend my afternoon by the seaside, so i set off in driving rain with my radio tuned into Radio Lancashire, listening for any match postponements. Nothing was mentioned along the journey, i reached the town and asked directions to the ground. I was greeted by info' to the whereabouts of their ground, followed by a "but it's been called off"(apparently at 1.30 yet no mention on the radio). I went to see how much rain was on the "Flooded pitch", it turned out that a puddle about 6 foot in diameter was the problem. Anyway, i bought myself a badge from the clubshop, and had a couple of pints in the clubhouse, talking to their supporters..they seemed ok!

BBC Sport - Tamworth 0-3 Fleetwood
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Fleetwood Town and Andy Mangan

Must admit im not the biggest fan of Fleetwood and Mr Mangan, the latter for obvious reason's.

BUT it would be nice to get another North West side in the mix next season.

Wrexham, Fleetwood/ Southport to come up for me please.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:58   #3
Full Member+

Whenever Andy Mangan's name gets mentioned i always think of his sending off at Greys Athletic in the Conference winning season, when he threw a girly strop pushing his way past other players on his way to the dressing room! He seemed to have good potential, but he acted like a spoilt teenager at times.
Old 04-03-2012, 13:00   #4
Senior Member+

Plus he could not hit a barn door !!

Has done well at BSP level, with a great goal return.

Will he hit 20+ goals in League Two...................... No chance.
Old 04-03-2012, 13:07   #5
Full Member+

Any thoughts on Peter Cavanagh....will he be given a cheer or a jeer IF he plays for Fleetwood at the Crown?
Old 04-03-2012, 13:15   #6
Senior Member+

For me personally what they did was unforgivable.

I wont go out of way to give them stick, but they wont get an easy ride from me, if they ever returned.

Ex Captain or Not.

They along with Harris, Mannix and Mark Roberts are the ONLY players I would personally have a go at before a ball was kicked.
Old 04-03-2012, 13:16   #7
God Member

Andy Mangan was a kid when he played for us (probably the most sub appearances ever for Stanley in the FL) so its no surprise that he a lot better now than he was. I did wonder whether he'd be worth a punt back here but even if people could see past the betting scandal we'd not be able to afford him anyway.

Glad to see that he's got on with his career and doing well
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:41   #8
Resting in Peace

I always rated him, and I suspect he will make Smudgie eat his words next season.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:49   #9
God Member

Andy Mangan was a Bury Player during the betting scandal, he put money on his own team to win, I know it's against the rules, but in my opinion he didn't do anything wrong,
Harris, Mannix and Williams gambled on their own team to lose, that in my opinion, is unforgivable.

Cavanagh appeared to be doing a normal betting accumulator, which apparently had a Stanley win forecast. So again I can live with this.

So to answer the question, would Cavanagh and Mangan be welcomed as visitors then my answer would be yes.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:06   #10
Senior Member+

Im not going over all ground, but we all know Cav's accumulator was the tip of the ice-berg.

About as welcome as a plague of flu for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10   #11
Full Member+

I was never overly fond of Mangan as a player before the betting lark, never mind afterwards. As for Cav, he was a bit foolish but I'd welcome a visit from him.
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23   #12
Super Moderator

To my mind, Fleetwood have similar problems to us; logically speaking, the town isn't quite big enough for a football league club and they have bigger neighbours who can draw fans away. So, if they do come up, I reckon they'll struggle.
Old 05-03-2012, 17:10   #13
God Member

depends how much money the local rich dude is prepared to put in Wynonie!

Estimates reckon he's in to the tune of £10m already and shows no signs of saying enough is enough. Granada Reports last week also showed him and he is clever enough to realise he aint going to see a return on his investment.

But as we know all too well, the money needed to prop up a crappy club in the Conference is a fraction of what is needed in League 2
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:43   #14

Gretna spring to mind.....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..