Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 19:21   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Friday Night Kick Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red
Complete non-starter.

The Blackburn & Burnley fixtures are co-ordinated at police request so that only one team plays at home on the same day/weekend.
I am a complete layman as far as police matters are concerned, but why is it a complete non- starter? How do Blackburn and Bolton, or Blackburn and Preston manage to play at home on the same day? What's the difference?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-10-2005, 22:47   #17
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine
I am a complete layman as far as police matters are concerned, but why is it a complete non- starter? How do Blackburn and Bolton, or Blackburn and Preston manage to play at home on the same day? What's the difference?
Blackburn and Preston also have a 'fixed' schedule so that they don't play at home on the same day apart from the occasional match where it is unavoidable (e.g. Preston playing Burnley). Regarding teams that are in close proximity and come under the same Constabulary, leagues do take into account the requests of the police when they set the fixture schedule.

As for Bolton, I would have thought that the restriction would be in relation to Wigan games.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 13:13   #18
Super Moderator

Well, the Forest Green fixture has now been moved to a Friday (November 18th). Seems like the majority of fans were in favour.
Old 12-10-2005, 13:28   #19
Senior Member+

Gutted though because he never said anything about the away trip!

I can travel on a friday but who else can ?

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 10:46   #20

Well heres to a night out after the FGR game on Friday 18th Nov!

Few drinks in the Club House after the game, then a couple in town - beats a full night down Acc! Just fingers crossed that these Friday night games dont clash with my roster...
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 12:50   #21
Senior Member+

Talking Re: Friday Night Kick Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser
Well heres to a night out after the FGR game on Friday 18th Nov!

Few drinks in the Club House after the game, then a couple in town - beats a full night down Acc! Just fingers crossed that these Friday night games dont clash with my roster...
You have a rooster, cool!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 23:09   #22
God Member

if there is a "novelty aspect" does this not suggest that extra bums will be on seats. If the novelty wears off then at least we have had the money from the excess novelty punters. And, hopefully many may stay anyway.
Old 14-10-2005, 19:21   #23

Interesting thread on our Official Forum

http://hufc.invisionzone.com/index....t=0&#entry16855

Anyone care to comment - not looking for a slanging match, just be good to see a balanced view!
ExLandlord HUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 19:56   #24
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExLandlord HUFC
Interesting thread on our Official Forum

http://hufc.invisionzone.com/index....t=0&#entry16855

Anyone care to comment - not looking for a slanging match, just be good to see a balanced view!
Having read the forum above, it seems to me that the biggest moan from the Hereford fans is that Accrington are 'choosing their own kick off times' which will give them an unfair advantage.

From what I can gather, Accrington are not choosing or imposing their own kick off times on other clubs as its being implied, but are merely suggesting the Friday night alternative to other clubs. Accrington cannot go ahead unless they have the agreement of the away team plus the Conference / FA and the police. I also dont think that they are suggesting every match should be played on a Friday night, as this would naturally be extremely unfair on fans living more than a couple of hours drive from the ILS and who would be forced to take time off work in order to follow their own team.

It appears that some Hereford fans on that forum have started bleating before they have read or understood the facts. They also disregard the fact that they themselves dont have to compete for paying fans against a number of Premiership and Championship clubs, as Accrington do, so what harm can it do if Accrington ask for other teams assistance to help them maximise their income levels through the turnstiles. Given that the likes of Stevenage and Grays, Gravesend and Exeter only ever take a handful of travelling fans with them anyway, surely the benefits for Accrington and their fans (the extra few hundred on the gate) outweigh the inconvenience of the travelling few.
TWOSEAT RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 20:05   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine
By the way, didn't Tranmere at one time play their home matches on Fridays, so as not to clash with the Merseyside giants? I think the novelty must have worn off, as I think it would for us!
I dont think it was about the novelty wearing off. When Tranmere were playing on Fridays they were a (old) third or fourth division club, whilst Liverpoool and Everton were dominating the first division and Europe. Also, Goodison and Anfield still had terracing at that time so more fans from the Wirrall area could get to see those two teams.

Tranmere's progression into the old 2nd division coincided with the Merseysiders being banned from European competition, plus the all seater ruling meant their ground capacities were slashed. Therefore, being unable to get into Goodison or Anfield, a lot of fans took the alternative of going to Prenton Park.

With the bigger attendances at Prenton, the police decided it was easier for them to manage the games on a Saturday so they refused to allow Tranmere to continue playing on Fridays.

It just makes me wonder though if our local police would adopt the same attitude to Friday night games should the gates go up at the ILS.
TWOSEAT RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 20:08   #26
Senior Member+

Both clubs have to agree so what's he moaning about?
Old 14-10-2005, 21:16   #27
God Member

First I would like to thank Ex Landlord for showing a balanced view on his own forum....

Secondly, as you pointed out on there. Any games changed to Friday are with the agreement of the other team and the conference. The forest green game has now been changed to a friday night but then so has the away match. So Forest green are obviously keen to give it a go.

It is never stanley's view to go for all matches fri night but just a few throughout the season. This allows some people to attend who can't on a saturday. And if it helps increase attendances and along with it bring in some extra cash into the club then GO FOR IT!!

Personally I would not like to see all matches changed to friday (and don't believe that would ever happen) as I am also one of those who traditionally like the 3pm saturday KO but have no problems with the occasional fri night match, the same as we have occasional mid week matches..... this would go for home and away!!!

To have some of the fans on your forum bleating on about how we are trying to change the face of traditional footy is a load of bull**** but I will not descend to their depths and start slagging off your ground or town..

Nuff said!!! Feel free to copy and past this onto your forum if you so wish - harwood red

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2005, 09:38   #28

Thanks for your comments. Won't bother with the copy/paste. People should have the wit to look for themselves!

Best of luck for today!

Ex
ExLandlord HUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2005, 13:14   #29

I believe the gate was up against Hereford for the simple reason that neither Blackburn or Burnley had a game that week-end. Some of their fans, therefore, came to watch Stanley. They were probably the ones I saw leaving with ten minutes or so still to play of an exciting contest (Why?). There is little chance of them revisiting the IES if their teams have a game at week-end which is most of the time. Friday night games will not attract dads and their lads as much as Saturday afternoon fixtures. The number of away fans attending will drop - in some instances substantially. Even after a Friday night game I feel `lost` come Saturday afternoon with no game in the offing. And, if it's such a good (if hardly new) idea, why isn't everybody doing it? I am pretty sure gates will not increase playing Friday night games and that they may even fall.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 10:19   #30

Gutted - am working FGR home game, gonna miss the game again Anyone up for selling the progs for me?!
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..