Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 15:34   #1

Friday Night Kick Off

What are peoples thoughts on the Club bringing forward the Matchday to a Friday Night? For me, I will only be bothered when I'm working a Friday night shift and have to miss the match - I miss nearly all midweek games due to work. Although, it will feel really strange, I remember the Saturday just gone - I was shopping in town and saw lots of Stanleyites - Sam, Diane, Sarah etc Think we were all lost without our Saturday Football Fix...
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2005, 16:04   #2
God Member

Re: Friday Night Kick Off

YTo be honest i dont really care...if it is benefitial to the club then go for it! if it proves that when burnley and rovers are playing next day that it doesnt improves attendence move it back.... but we should really give it a go!
Old 10-10-2005, 16:07   #3
I am Banned

Well we had good attendance last friday nite & the crowd were up for it, i know a few of us said it should happen on a friday nite more often - a much better alternative to pubbing it in town - much better LOL!!! But i think cos more people were able to attend than they would cos of work.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 18:26   #4
God Member

personally, its a good idea cos I will be able to get to more games. From a happy campers point of view then if your missus or Mr doesn't go to football then they will appreciate you being around on saturday afternoon. Beyond that I feel there is more of a sense of occasion during night matches. When its cold and everybody is dancing on tiptoes to keep warm, then all of a sudden a bit of incident on the field and the crowd goes mad, shouting and screaming at number 5 (always number 5), before you know you have warmed up.

You know you can go and have your friday drink afterwards without feeling remorse for going home sozzled again. Also, the crisp night air seems to carry any noise a wee bit better. Friday nights at the Sophia Khan end will be next years black.

Roll on the good times!
Old 10-10-2005, 22:30   #5
Resting in Peace

Unhappy Re: Friday Night Kick Off

OK for a one off but a complete and utter non-starter for me on a regular basis. Saturday without football at 3.00 pm is awful. Just consider all the missing millions in league football because of the messing about with kick-off times for increasingly ruddy boring TV. Don't lets prostitute ourselves for a few extra quid.
Yours passionately,

E-mailed the above to "opinion@...."
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 22:34   #6
God Member

I don't mind the occasional friday night match. It makes a nice change. I know Eric was considering 3 or 4 matches for the rest of the season which doesn't sound to bad to me. The atmosphere was good on friday but whether that would carry through to more frequent fri night matches I have no idea!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine
Don't lets prostitute ourselves for a few extra quid.
I think the above statement epitomises the delusions that many Stanley fans are suffering from. It's not a case of making "a few extra quid" - it's a case of generating the income that is so essential if we are mount a credible promotion challenge. Eric has already said that he is "gutted" by this season's gates (prior to Friday) and that gates need to improve if we are to become a football league side. Does anybody seriously think that we can carry on signing and paying quality players if the gates stay at the 1,100 mark?

Personally, Friday night matches cause me all sorts of hassle and I agree with Redraine that it's just not the same as a 3.00pm Saturday kick-off. However, I would happy for every single one of our remaining home matches to be played on Friday nights if I thought that we could get an extra 500 on the gate!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:09   #8
God Member

Personally, I enjoyed the change to Friday night although I will admit to feeling a little lost on Saturday. Obviously it's not gonna be every week as the other club would have to agree and I can't see many southern clubs wanting to travel up here on a Friday but I think a few Friday matches scattered through the season is a good idea
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:39   #9
Resting in Peace

I remember that back in our later Football League days, when we were struggling to get people through the turnstiles, the Stanley board approached Blackburn and Burnley with a view to ask for their co-operation. The suggestion was that they might consider scheduling their matches to be home and away on the same Saturdays, with our home fixtures on their away days. They both declined, saying it was a matter of "self preservation", but maybe this is an idea which could be floated again. I can't imagine that there would be the same resistance to the idea these days - what does anybody think?
By the way, didn't Tranmere at one time play their home matches on Fridays, so as not to clash with the Merseyside giants? I think the novelty must have worn off, as I think it would for us!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:44   #10
Resting In Peace

Stanley did play some matches on a Friday night when we were in the Football League. Tranmere did play on a Friday night, Bury used to play some matches on a Friday night and I think Stockport did also.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36   #11

friday night match ok as a one off, but not a regular occasion. Saturday is the accepted footy day,to most people,and it would not affect me attending Fri or Sat. I just feel that as a novelty,it would work but not regularly. What about now coming up to the festive season, when a lot of works parties are held on a Fri, and then people would get fed up on a Sat without footy and may even change to one of the other clubs, nmot far away. So as a special occasion ok, there is a novelty factor but in the long run I don't think the gates would increase long term.
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:47   #12
ash
Junior Member+

I loved the Friday night game. It set me up nicely for the weekend !!! You can't beat a night game with the floodlights on, you spend all day at work just waiting for the game. It just seems to be a better atmosphere.

I'm kinda biased though, I work for a Premiership club's TV channel so spend most weekends at work. A lot of the time i'm filming the Under 18's Academy on a Saturday when I should be at Stanley...... how bad is that ?!?

Ash
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:03   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
I remember that back in our later Football League days, when we were struggling to get people through the turnstiles, the Stanley board approached Blackburn and Burnley with a view to ask for their co-operation. The suggestion was that they might consider scheduling their matches to be home and away on the same Saturdays, with our home fixtures on their away days. They both declined, saying it was a matter of "self preservation", but maybe this is an idea which could be floated again. I can't imagine that there would be the same resistance to the idea these days - what does anybody think?
Good idea. I think it's well worth a try.
Old 11-10-2005, 13:22   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Complete non-starter.

The Blackburn & Burnley fixtures are co-ordinated at police request so that only one team plays at home on the same day/weekend.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 16:43   #15
God Member

COuld we not also try sunday games as well?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..