Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2006, 00:05   #31
Senior Member+

Re: glory hunters.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller
s'cuse me if I put a downer on the celebrations, i've been an "armchair supporter" for years! of course you can still support your team even if you don't go to the games and the more successful the team is the gates go up, but it would be no surprise if next season Accy Stan are sruggling at the foot of the league (playing teams no better than the conference) and the gates are back down.
Erm no we won't excuse you!

Maybe we will struggle, maybe we will get relegated, who knows. But nobody, especially an anonymous internet goon, can put a downer on "our" celebrations

Also on the subject of glory hunters, we welcome everybody to ASFC & we all had a first Accy game whether it was this week or like Gordon Reid in 1940-odd. Just try get behind the team when you are here, buy a pir & a programme, a raffle ticket etc etc & if a grey haired bloke is struggling with a big flag - give him a hand

On Stanley On
John Coleman is God!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2006, 00:23   #32
I am Banned

Please, please, may we have lots and lots of glory hunters coming through the turnstiles.

There were quite a few at the Scarborough game and I hope that we managed to make them feel most welcome.

We need all the glory hunters we can get - not least because we're hunting even more glory ourselves.
The newspapers of the last three days have elevated Accrington Stanley to a level of which we could only have dreamed just three years ago , and as a result there has been a wonderful influx of new people.

I spoke to several hundred of them at the Scarborough game and I must say that it was an absolute pleasure. They'd never been to Stanley , or - if they had - it was ages ago .

Their bright-eyed enthusiasm and their desire to be part of this great new era were very evident.

From Buckinghamshire, Peterborough and Leicester there were families who'd made an enormous (and expensive) effort to be with us.

I sincerely hope that all small-minded Little-Accringtonians will please shut up and let market forces come into play.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 00:31   #33
Senior Member+

Well said Henry.

Sadly, I've had to listen to boring blokes from Blackburn, one guy spent 10 minutes explaining to his mate he thought the kick off was 2:30, then this, then that, then the other, we'd all nearly lost the will to live by then.

I think it even affected the team.

But, yes, new blood, enthusiasm, more than welcome.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 08:33   #34

I think the announcer should have told the "new" suppoorters that Stanley play in the red shirts....one of the people sat in front of me was already moaning that Stanley would not survive in the league etc then he said "what has boco done" just before the Todd goal.... he shut up after that. We will have to buy and we will have to maintain and improve the standard, but Eric has a vision.... to Div 1 and on!!!
fettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 10:32   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller

Just try get behind the team when you are here, buy a pir & a programme, a raffle ticket etc etc & if a grey haired bloke is struggling with a big flag - give him a hand
Think we had too many of them "pir" last night willie

hehehe - thats getting u back for the "lsit"
Old 18-04-2006, 10:48   #36

Never - Stanley through and through, oh and of course England.
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 11:44   #37
Senior Member+

id have to agree with a number of points made, however it is bound to happen with the success the club is having.

obviously the more the merrier, and id love to see 3000 on the ground every week, however some people that claim that they are die hard stanley fans when they have only been coming to watch since the club was in the conference need to wake up IMO.

im only 21 but have been going on the stanley for 11 seasons, including the dark days of billy rodaway etc , who remembers being bottom of the unibond prem losing 3-0 away to bamber bridge?, i was there and am proud of it
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 13:54   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
Think we had too many of them "pir" last night willie

hehehe - thats getting u back for the "lsit"
Should have been pie John..............

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 18-04-2006, 14:01   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie
...however some people that claim that they are die hard stanley fans when they have only been coming to watch since the club was in the conference need to wake up IMO.
Wake up?

What's that mean.

If we are going to get attendances of 3,000+ next season we should welcome everybody through the turnstiles, whilst acknowledging that you 'older fans' are owed a great deal of respect.

Sometimes this forum reads like a teen music forum, with some people complaining that 'their' indy band, that they've followed for years, now has more fans now they are in the charts. IMHO.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 14:07   #40
Senior Member+

I think he means people who tell lies about how longthey been "die hard" Accy.

It means nothing, fans come & go, circumstances sometimes mean lifelong Accy can't get to as many games as they'd like (finance, starting a business or HM Forces spring to mind)

But as I said, just put as much time, effort & money in as you can, when you can.

We should all welcome the new fans & make sure they stay....

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 18-04-2006, 14:13   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller
I think he means people who tell lies about how longthey been "die hard" Accy.

It means nothing, fans come & go, circumstances sometimes mean lifelong Accy can't get to as many games as they'd like (finance, starting a business or HM Forces spring to mind)

But as I said, just put as much time, effort & money in as you can, when you can.

We should all welcome the new fans & make sure they stay....
I wasn't having a go at Smudgie, l know what he means.

I am a new fan. I've posted before how Lindsay Ormerod took me to see us against Bamber Bridge last Febuary. From that first moment I was hooked, by the standard of Stanley's football, and the atmosphere provided by you fans.

I hope everyone coming to see Stanley for the first time enjoys it as much as I did, and appreciate all the work that a lot of you people do to make it what it is.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 14:44   #42
Super Moderator

From the way some people talk, you'd think that they wanted to keep Stanley as an exclusive little club for those "in the know".

Well, I say, the more new fans/glory hunters/whatever you want to call them the better. I don't care if they've been watching Stanley for 50 years or 7 days. I don't even care if they've been watching the Reds for 7 days and PRETEND that they've been watching for 50 years. As long as they're paying their money and supporting the team, they're welcome!
Old 18-04-2006, 17:18   #43
God Member

personally I preferred the days of old when you could get to the bar at least twice at half time. Alas the price of success now means that you have to get two or three at a time and end up drunker.
Old 18-04-2006, 17:19   #44

That's if you can get in the bar - it was closed at half time on Monday Missed my pie and pint!
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 17:35   #45
God Member

so which bar did I spend most of the match in yesterday Kisser? They probably shut the doors cos it was that full!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..