Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2004, 10:46   #1

greatest player?

who would you name as the greatest stanley player of all time? are you an attacker, do you think it is mullin? hargreaves? do you like a great crosser of the ball, do you rate hoskin? is it a good solid defender you like, or a rapid full back, like ashcrroft or hutchinson?, do you like players who you could just watch all day? maybe mark shirley's the man for you. also who is the greatest stanley goalie of all time?
Old 21-10-2004, 10:49   #2
Junior Member+

Re: greatest player?

Mick Ashcroft it has to be said is one of, if not the best centre-half ever to wear a Stanley shirt.
Old 21-10-2004, 11:40   #3
Junior Member+

Talking Re: greatest player?

Id have to say Jack Hacking Jnr back in the late 1940/ early 50's. Great Keeper or the late Charlie Sneddon, a little later, 'inside left' and creater of many goals. Obviously no family ties or bias affected my choice in this matter!
Creweboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 12:59   #4
God Member

There's too many favourites over the years to choose just one, Paul Beck, Dave Hargreaves, Dave Hindle have got to be in there, also Russell Payne, Jamie Speare, Rory Prendergast, Jonathon Smith - no sorry can't pick between them & many others who have graced the famous shirt.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 15:04   #5
Senior Member+

what about Chris Grimshaw he is in the top 5!!
Old 22-10-2004, 17:12   #6
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: greatest player?

well the best defender for me has to be Eddie 'Ming the Merciless' Johnson, big, strong, hard in the tackle, evil looking bu**er too!!!

The best midfielder, tough one this, i always liked Paul 'Diddy' Burns, hardworking, terrier type of player who always got the job done.

the best forward is a split for me, for shear wieght of goals and determination it's gotta be Paul Beck, but for pace, quality and a lot of heart after beening told he wasn't good enough to be a footballer Brett Ormerod.

The Keeper, this is a tough one for me, as most of you know I'm a keeper myself, and i've seen a few come and go in the last 17 years, each with their own attributes and failings, I'd actually like to take the best of each and mix them all together, I'd take John Armfields dependability and communication skills, Rob Molloys awareness and positioning skills, Jamo's enthusiasm and athleticism and JK's cool head, aerial ability and strength, that would give us the best keeper in the league for sure!!! But if I was going to pick one I'd have to go with Jon Kennedy Englands No1!!! :engsmil:
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 08:03   #7
Junior Member+

What about George Stewart in the 50's? What a great goal scorer & servant to Stanley in what was the best period up to then for the old club. I can picture him in my mind's eye nodding in a cross in a friendly against Fulham. What a player!! Mind you, I was only 8 or 9 at the time. Is my memory correct??
tommybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 09:11   #8

Dave Hargreaves (Haggis) for me watched him for years when I was younger and even went to watch both games for Rovers against Luton and Blackpool, he had Paul Hart marking him one game and Paul Futcher the other both good defenders.
I was lucky enough to play with him Dave Parr, Dave Mcdowell,Mickey Finn,Ian Wilcox and others which seemed weird after watching them for years
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 09:52   #9

The Greatest Stanley Crosser Of All Time Is Stephen Hibbert! I Dont Think Many People Will Remember Him As He Hardly Played But He Was Brilliant Down The Left Wing He Had Pace, Skill And Everything You Need To Be A Good Footballer. He Looked As If He Could Of Played For The Greatest Manchester Utd Team Of All Time He Was Magnificent!
matthewm56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..