Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2006, 09:04   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Itv1

Perhaps we're all missing the point?

Perhaps the town of Accrington can't support a full-time, Football League club? It was tried before and failed due to lack of interest. It's being tried again now, but so far it hasn't generated a lot of interest inside the town. The media and the rest of the country seem interested, but the people of Accrington don't.
Perhaps the simple fact is that as a town, Accrington doesn't want, or value a football team?
Old 14-08-2006, 09:14   #17
Super Moderator

I know it's been said before, but we're in a highly disadvantageous position in division 2. We have a population of 38,000 and two much bigger clubs nearby. There are other towns with similar populations (Boston) but well away from bigger clubs and other towns near big clubs (Stockport) but with a bigger population to draw on (130,000+). Perhaps we'll just have to learn to live with small gates.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:15   #18
God Member

Now your doing it TM .. I am a member of this town and I want a team... Can you and eric and coley and everyone else stop telling me i dont want a team.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:20   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Now your doing it TM .. I am a member of this town and I want a team... Can you and eric and coley and everyone else stop telling me i dont want a team.
You are a cog in a medium sized wheel. You don't count.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:28   #20

Posting things like this on a messageboard is preaching to the converted. We need to start spreading the word in the outside world. If everybody at the Barnet match had brought just 1 friend/relative along, the gate would've been over 3000.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:32   #21
God Member

Exactly Alvin ... you tell em ....stop having a go at the people who do go to games
Old 14-08-2006, 09:40   #22
Member.

I would also agree we Alvin. I think there may be some element of truth in the fact that the towns population is relatively small, however we should also consider that is figure of 38,000 is further compounded by the ethnic mix of today’s borough.

We face a fight for the hearts and minds of the local populace, but this isn’t a fight that can be won here of this site. I see this as just another skirmish.

We need to educate and in some cases re educate people; we need to be getting into the schools, social clubs and pubs, we need to be represented at multi cultural events and other traditional events around Lancashire and create a focal point centred on the club. In reality we perhaps need to become more than just a football club.

We have had some tremendous media attention over the last few weeks, months even and we have failed to capitalise on it. Its time for a new collective approach by all those that want this club to live on and succeed in today’s world.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 11:04   #23
I am Banned

True point Doug making the club attractive & welcoming to all for those that haven't visited us yet it can be done to convert someone hehehehehe, ive converted at least 3 people maybe more, my son was a man u supporter so he's now dropped that for a few divisions down now loves stanley, as does my daughter, also a friend has told me they braved going for their 1st match & loved it to the point when are we next at home was response, plus maybe doing free entrances to U12's or even U16's get them off streets into footy - who knows we may encourage future home grown ASFC star players or interest for the club to carry the club on from strength to strengh when we're in our old age
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 11:26   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
None of the above makes any sense.. The people on here are the ones that go to the game.. so it isn't "us" he is calling names... then you go on to that "you" have to get behind the team etc.... well excuse me but again your saying this to people who do..

Where have you seen NON stanley fans"whinning" about what he said?

Why are you telling stanley fans who go to the games that he is talking about them and then saying they must get behind the team.

Its exactly what your saying that the real stanley fans dont like being told... go tell the ones that dont come to stanley all the above.. dont come whinning to us with it bazf..

Remember we are all people of accy.. so when people slag off the people of accy there slagging us all off... tell it to the poeple who dont.. not the people who do.. or at the very least refer to them and not to all of us. thats you and eric and coley...
How does it not make sense, the fact the truth hurts or the thin skidded bit.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 11:40   #25
Senior Member+

We have tried the "bring a Friend" before and the problem is alot of people already come stanley with mates who already would be going to the game already...i also think we should try and to incentives E.g woking "kid for a quid" or something along those lines because maybe £4 is alot of money to like an 11 year old??? and if we get the kid in their more than likely gonna bring mum or dad which is another £13/£15 and if 1 kid goes the other will want to go etc ... i think the way forward is going into schools as much as possible and getting kids while their young and hopefully carry on supporting stanley in 10/20 years time!!!

I Belive alot of people are annoyed because the roof was promised years ago and hasnt come yet for whatever reason.

so bring a mate to the next game and get down to accy market and get a rain jacket and an extra pair of socks till it arrives
Old 14-08-2006, 11:48   #26
Member.

We could have a “Quid for a Brick” campaign. You know sponsor a nut and bolt for ten bob, a brick for a quid (Have your name on it for a tenner) Roof panel for £50 quid etc….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 16:35   #27

Talking Re: Itv1

Im with Bazf - I think Eric is right to go on national telly and moan about the low attendances. If its not highlighted then how is it going to improve by ignoring the problem?? It needed saying - an attendance of below 2000 on a Saturday for a League 2 game is indeed appalling...

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 16:54   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo T Hornblower
Im with Bazf - I think Eric is right to go on national telly and moan about the low attendances. If its not highlighted then how is it going to improve by ignoring the problem?? It needed saying - an attendance of below 2000 on a Saturday for a League 2 game is indeed appalling...

Jimbo T blower
I aint quite lol, i think that the management having a real pop on telly like they did wasn't quite the proper way to do it instead of slagging off the town for attendances maybe they should think about how to get people to come to our matches - use the free advertising properly, if you want people to participate then gentle productive persuasion is the better way, shows professionalism - not blowing steam off !! The use of positive encouragement & tone rather than the one both Coley & Whalley exhibited on saturday - plus appreciate the fans that do come regularly.

How was that doing the Google Page Ranking any favours if you was a neutral never been to a stanley match what is their 1st impressions of Stanley after watching that - thanks to Coleys & whalleys comments??? Luckily the fans there make it welcoming & great to be at, not the said management as it seems. Plus they need to get real a little bit - just cos we made it to the football league does not give automatic prowess to encapulate full house - that is a slow injection that in time will happen, specially whilst we have been out of the league for a long time - that has in turn took its toll on the clubs support & a generation or 2 of football fans then turned their support to the neighbouring growing teams, its going to take time to re-adjust that - plus we need to focus on future generations to carry the club forth - its not going to happen overnight even over a month or so realistically, unless positive encouragement to convince these non supporters or convert.... so lets get realistic & work from there but coley & whalley need a Google Page Ranking lesson - quick before apathy sets in.

Last edited by accymel; 14-08-2006 at 16:57.
Old 14-08-2006, 17:29   #29
God Member

at the end of the day it going to take years and years to develop a larger commited crowd, and "unfortunatly" we have progressed that quick that this development of a hardcore fanbase hasent happened completely..it will take years to create a hardcore fanbase of 2000+ and although the club can help to intice the fans by doing certain inititives, we are never going to have a large hardcore fanbase in the next 10 years imo its going to take time
Old 14-08-2006, 17:40   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
at the end of the day it going to take years and years to develop a larger commited crowd, and "unfortunatly" we have progressed that quick that this development of a hardcore fanbase hasent happened completely..it will take years to create a hardcore fanbase of 2000+ and although the club can help to intice the fans by doing certain inititives, we are never going to have a large hardcore fanbase in the next 10 years imo its going to take time
Yeh im totally in agreeance there its a plan now of maintain the fans we do have increasing slowly as best we can over the years as the team progress but realistically as you say its a project to grow toward the future, depending that club can maintain future....so its a bit chicken & egg situ.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..