Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2014, 17:01   #1
Dan
Senior Member+

Match Coverage - Your Thoughts

Hi all
I'm canvassing opinion on match coverage for the new season and would appreciate your input.

If ASFC provided online commentary of all first team games, with some video highlights, as a subscription service would you subscribe?

Not sure on figures but it would almost certainly be less than £50 a season (and hopefully significantly less) with a monthly option available too.

For context purposes, this service would use the existing website and would not involve changing to the style that most other FL clubs have. It would not change any of the current coverage (i.e. you would not have to subscribe to get post match interviews etc)

It would be a fairly straightforward case of paying to access a members area of the website where the commentary feed (and match highlights) would be available.

This is all at the preliminary stage (and subject to FL approval - God it's complicated!) but I just wanted to know what people thought.

Fundamentally, if only 20 people subscribed it would be a pointless exercise.

Thoughts welcome!
Dan

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2014, 17:11   #2

Re: Match Coverage - Your Thoughts

If you are talking full match commentry and a fiver a month (I presume it would be 10 months a year at most) then I'd be interested
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 18:02   #3
Super Moderator

Dan,

Take it you'll stress it's NOT FLi !! Or have you sold your soul!!!
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 18:12   #4
Senior Member+

Certainly sounds a promising idea and as I am intending to be away for part of next season and eventually planning to live abroad permanently then yes I am very interested.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 18:13   #5
Junior Member+

Sounds like a good idea Dan and this is something many other clubs currently do. We would definitely subscribe! It will also provide another income source to the football club, albeit small but every little helps!
Stanley Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 18:21   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
If you are talking full match commentry and a fiver a month (I presume it would be 10 months a year at most) then I'd be interested

Amazing how breaking it down makes it sound great value

Good luck with the idea Dan, hope it takes off
Old 21-05-2014, 18:34   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

By online commentary do you mean live "Audio" as opposed to text? If so I'd be interested, along with I imagine quite a few other "Foreigners"!
Old 21-05-2014, 18:39   #8
Dan
Senior Member+

To clarify on a couple of points:

- this wouldn't be the Football League Interactive service (as many other clubs have) it would be bespoke and unique to ASFC
- the match coverage would be full match audio commentary on the games
- the official website would be the only place in the world where you could get online match commentary

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 19:21   #9
Full Member+

This sounds like it would be an improvement on the present match coverage but , as ever, cost would be the deciding factor. Perhaps pre season games could be used as 'samplers' before deciding to buy
cashman and smobile like this.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 16:21   #10
God Member

sign me up Mr Jewell at the Crown
Old 22-05-2014, 16:24   #11
Full Member+

I would happily pay for such a service. My only worry would be the number of times last year there were 'internet' problems with the live text service, particularly at away games.
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 18:53   #12

Hope you guys don't mind someone from the opposition giving my thoughts on this subject.

We at MFC use Player (like the vast majority of League clubs) for all match day coverage via the web for both home and away games using our own commentators who provide a superb (and often amusing) full match day audio coverage. The cost is free to all season ticket holders and to others a very small fee.

It's benefits include being able to log into ALL other League club Player broadcasts which can give a different perspective on the same game.

Player also provides pre and post match interviews with management, players and anybody else connected with the club including introducing new signings to all those who have access to Player and recently to a wider audience via You Tube.

Whatever you guys decide is best for you I can guarantee that it will be a most welcome addition to your clubs media coverage.
cashman likes this.
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 20:48   #13

Understand that this may not be what you want to hear but don't think I'd want to pay more than £30 a season for this sort of service.

My reckoning on that is £1 per away game rounded up.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 06:31   #14
God Member

Interesting prospect, Dan.
The last thing I am is a computer-techy (as you may guess from this question) but is it possible to estimate how many megabites would be used up during a match broadcast? Sorry, if that's an impossible question to answer, but I have a limit on the amount I can download.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 06:59   #15

It depends on the quality of the audio but you can get a ballpark estimate by looking at the file size of a high quality (320Kbps) mp3.

I'd reckon that you'd be listening for around 2 hours given half time and a bit of pre-match build up. That would come to around 288MB which is around 0.25GB.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..