Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2008, 13:55   #61
God Member

Re: Match Off

news was that the ref actually offered the game to be played to both managers, coley agreed to play but their manager didnt, backed up by his comments on bbc site saying pitch was unplayable when he arrived
Old 20-01-2008, 14:13   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins View Post
news was that the ref actually offered the game to be played to both managers, coley agreed to play but their manager didnt, backed up by his comments on bbc site saying pitch was unplayable when he arrived
Coleman didn't say that yesterday. When Adam Cottager said that Brentford were as keen to play as we were, Coleman agreed with him. He said it was all down to the referee.
Old 20-01-2008, 14:35   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
in instances like this the Match Official should be forced to travel earlier if there is a doubt over the condition of the pitch. There is no point having a first inspection by another referee if he can be overruled.
if the differant refs cant form a general consensus, that is exactly what should happen.IMHO.
Old 20-01-2008, 14:39   #64
God Member

just seen wigan pitch close up and yesterday wasnt any worse than that...
Old 20-01-2008, 14:49   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
yeh but perhaps the thought was we aint gonna tell 1000s of scousers theres no match?
Old 20-01-2008, 14:54   #66
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Don't be silly Wigans pitch was in a far better condition than ours.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 15:48   #67
God Member

silly no thats not me but seriously when they looked close up to certain parts of the pitch it looked just as muddy as it was at stanley yesterday...anyway thats history now anybody got any idea when its being played naxt saturday would be logical but its the football league we are talking about and brentford are supposed to be going on their hols
Old 20-01-2008, 16:04   #68
God Member

I know that when the match is replayed the club are looking at discounted admission for all and suggestion of free programme for season ticket holders

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 16:12   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The match referee is the one who has to take the ultimate responsibility. I am a bit puzzled from Ozzy's earlier comments about the time taken by the match referee to call the game off. The first thing a referee does when he gets to the ground is to inspect the pitch. I'd be interested to find out if he did and on what basis he didn't call the game off then.

My comments were based on the fact that the match referee arrived at the ground about 1200 - I know because so did I and followed all 3 officials into the ground - what I am asking is why did it take him one and three quarter hours to decide that the pitch was not fit to play on? Secondly Pete I have to correct you on a previous statement, the club phoned the FA/FL whichever and asked for a referee to come to inspect the pitch, this is what was broadcasted on BBC Radio Lancs. The FA/FL asked for a referee (not Stanley or any club official) to come to the ground in the morning. This as we know was a complete waste of time. I fell sorry for every fan either Stanley or Brentford who travelled any distance to watch the match, but it really is not the clubs fault. This one can be laid firmly at the FA/FL door.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 16:15   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Having just got back from Wigan's match- the pitch there always cuts up when its wet, but I would say it was in better condition than ours. The whole pitch at the FES needs levelling and proper drainage put in or proper covers put on - not the hessian covers we have now. But that is for another time and place when we are either a) at a new ground or b) when we have extra revenue.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 16:41   #71
Junior Member+

As the Brentford Fanzine Editor who treasured Stanley as my 'second' club (when you were non league) after watching you eighteen times at home and travelling away to the likes of Burscough, Ashton, Vauxhall Motors, Halifax and Aldershot (I used to work in Manchester midweek) I was gutted about yesterday.

I travelled the 500 mile round trip and stayed overnight as did a lot of the 900 or so Bees that were about to descend on Stanley for the afternoon.

All I can say (and it pains me to say it) that I feel really let down by Accy as a club who must have known that the game wouldn't have even had a chance of being on Friday lunchtime - lets face it, there hadn't been further rain and the pitch at 1.45pm yesterday was un-playable..
Why as a club you couldn't have made the decision on Friday heaven knows..at 2pm before setting off your girl on the switchboard said that unless it rained and rained over night, the game would definetly be on..

Our coach and Physio went to the ground at 11am and the ball wouldn't even roll on the surface, there were no lines on the stand side of the ground so you can't really blame the referee..

The poster who said that our manager didn't want it on is talking rubbish - I stayed with him on the Friday night and Brentford were desperate to play coming into the game on a tremendous run..

Both clubs supporters lost out - Accy from 900 x £13 from us, and all the londoners who spent hundreds on train tickets, petrol and hotel stop overs..

Shame as I wanted this one big time, especially as I was possibly the only traveller there who'd actually been to Stanley before..can't see many of making the trip now on a Tuesday night..

Last edited by Thorne In The Side; 20-01-2008 at 16:43.
Thorne In The Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 16:42   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Having just got back from Wigan's match- the pitch there always cuts up when its wet, but I would say it was in better condition than ours. The whole pitch at the FES needs levelling and proper drainage put in or proper covers put on - not the hessian covers we have now. But that is for another time and place when we are either a) at a new ground or b) when we have extra revenue.
or get a sponsorship deal off coating application up huncoat they make waterproof breathable covers they would be alright...
Old 20-01-2008, 16:45   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
I know that when the match is replayed the club are looking at discounted admission for all and suggestion of free programme for season ticket holders
Why? What's the thinking behind that?
Old 20-01-2008, 17:10   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
My comments were based on the fact that the match referee arrived at the ground about 1200 - I know because so did I and followed all 3 officials into the ground - what I am asking is why did it take him one and three quarter hours to decide that the pitch was not fit to play on?

Sorry OO, I wasn't questioning if what you said was correct, was asking the same as you, what did the referee do for over an hour ?
Old 20-01-2008, 17:30   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Sorry OO, I wasn't questioning if what you said was correct, was asking the same as you, what did the referee do for over an hour ?
eat his bacon sarnies

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..