Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2017, 16:23   #31

Re: Middlesbrough FA Cup 4th rd Match Thread

The lads did had a very good go, can't fault any of our players for effort. Middleborough where the better side but not by a massive margin. Dowling goal was class but we had our chances just couldn't take them. Must bring this effort now to our league form.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2017, 16:34   #32
God Member

Can only say how proud I am to be a Stanley fan tonight, the lads gave it their all - bless their cotton socks!!
Any neutral there today wouldn't have thought there was 3 leagues between the sides, it took one really good goal to separate the two teams as at West Ham - little disappointed as we could've snook an equaliser near the end but not half as gutted as the Wycombe fans must be
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 16:54   #33

To be fair our attempts lacked any real power and they had another 3 or 4 really good chances where they should have scored but the team gave their all, the fans sang loud and proud and we deserved to come away with our heads held high. If only we had that little bit of luck near the end though
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 17:02   #34

first half was like a pre season game
Your keeper played out of his skin in 2nd, kept score down plus some poor finishing by boro players didnt help. Couple of good chances for you late on but didnt take them either.
thornabyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 18:06   #35

Decent game - agree with Thornabyred and Deeaseeyyyeess.
We were second best in all departments but did as well
As we could. Sean, Seamus and Harvey were my MOTM today.
Our best chance was Clark's shot in the last minute. Time stood still as he hit his shot.....a few hundred grand if it was a few feet either side of where he smacked it.

Twisted Lip on Baker Street was our pre/post match watering hole...great boozer, friendly chatty locals.

Off to the Toon now to drown sorrows further.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 18:58   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

We certainly were far from disgraced today, have to disagree about S.M. today was far from one of his better days imho, the only criticism i have was no player was running into space when we were going forward, summat that does need addressing i reckon.was great to meet owd stifferlip this aft, seems a real decent geezer.
Old 28-01-2017, 20:22   #37
Senior Member+

Best chance for me fell to Billy Kee. Lovely ball inside the full back by Clark to Donacien who picked him out - why didn't he just smash it ??
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 22:54   #38

Maybe Sean wasn't in the game as much as he has been in recent weeks Cashy, but I thought when he was he looked a class apart from most of the others (apart from Harvey and Seamus). Just adds another dimension to the team.

I shared your frustration re going forward until we did push on on a couple of occasions and nearly paid dearly when they came back at us.i think today was a day when extreme caution was called for. Hope to last the 90 mins for a 0-0 draw or snatch a goal ourselves.
AccyMad likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 07:38   #39
God Member

say with my cousin and a couple of his mates in the boro end. they were dissapointed they didn,t score more and thought we played well but wouldn,t have scored if the match went on to midnight. stanley fans were brilliant. hope the noise levels carry on next saturday. a good day out at least we weren,t hammered like brentford and have only lost by 1 nil away to two premier sides this season.
chevyfire likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 08:07   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Maybe Sean wasn't in the game as much as he has been in recent weeks Cashy, but I thought when he was he looked a class apart from most of the others (apart from Harvey and Seamus). Just adds another dimension to the team.

I shared your frustration re going forward until we did push on on a couple of occasions and nearly paid dearly when they came back at us.i think today was a day when extreme caution was called for. Hope to last the 90 mins for a 0-0 draw or snatch a goal ourselves.
I watched the cup games last night,Wolves players i thought used great common sense,running forward to receive the ball, it aint rocket science, that to me.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 29-01-2017, 08:14   #41

hope everyone got back safe and sound. Walked back part of way to station with an old couple and their grandaughter. They seemed to have enjoyed the day out and managed the train back with a good 10 mins to spare. Just a pity the station is in refurb and no decent shops or takeaways on it.
thornabyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 08:32   #42
Junior Member+

Thought our lads gave everything and in the end lost out to a wonder goal. I agree with what Coley said with regards to us probably coming up against one of the strongest teams yesterday, certainly stronger than liverpool and tottenhams starting 11. On another day we would have nicked one in the first half and goals can change games. For me Seamus was outstanding in midfield, best I've ever seen him play for us. Difficult to fault any of the lads who started performance as they all gave everything they had. Just got to hope we take this into the crucial game next week now
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
AccyStan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 09:13   #43
God Member

Two away defeats to two Premier league squads by two wonder goals from two international players in one season. Blimey!
Rodak was my MotM, he made some great stops. But agree with comments above that Stanley had little or no forward 'drive' for much of the match. I know they played to contain Boro for the first half but trying to ticky-tacky their way through the middle of a Premier League squad, from the back, is an ambitious strategy. Especially when there can sometimes be little or no movement off the ball. I noticed one incident which summed that up; Davies was tussling for the ball just inside Stanley's half and every other single Stanley player was watching. He won the ball, passed it sideways five yards and then he stood still. At that moment all ten outfield players were motionless - it was like looking at a photo.
In comparison, I thought M'boro used the space and width of their park really well, unlike Stanley who persist in playing in one half of the pitch at a time. Their RB, Fabio, was outstanding but then he had little or no defending to do and spent the day as an extra, and very effective, winger.
Back to reality next week.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:03   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to say, thought our keeper @ defence were magnificent couldn't have done more,
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 29-01-2017, 10:16   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to say,Match Of The Day was very interesting "Exile"? Now yeh know were he was.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..