Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2007, 23:33   #1

MK meet-up

It’s been an historic season with a happy ending – but I really hope that we don’t treat Saturday’s game as a dead rubber, because if there is one team that history tells us to send packing, it is Milton Keynes. There's nothing wrong with aspiring to a place in the Football League, but there is an established way of going about it. This bunch of shysters decided that the rules didn’t apply to them and set about blagging and bribing their way into the Football League. The real disgrace, of course, was that the League let them get away with it, and at the expense of a club who had made it to the Football League in the honourable way. So there’s an even more glorious manner in which to end the season than sending Ince and his cloggers on their way, and that’s to deny this lot any chance of automatic promotion and to put a smile on the faces of those fantastic people at AFC Wimbledon (keep an eye on the Dons, in the Ryman play-offs now, success would leave them just two promotions from a return to the Football League).

Two problems with the above scenario – we don’t get to go to Swindon next year (where the locals were great company and the beer was glorious) and we instead face the dirty possibility of two more meetings with Milton Keynes, where the concept of decent beer is only marginally more abstract than that of integrity in the board room.

For the real alers among us, there are a couple of Lloyds/Wetherspoons on Midsummer Boulevard in the centre of town. The Secklow Hundred is at no.171 (MK9 1EB) and the Wetherspoons at no.201 (MK9 1EA). However, neither have picked up glowing reports, with some suggesting that drinking in the cheap central places as a visiting fan can be asking for trouble. Don’t be deceived by these London satellite towns – property prices might be high but IQ levels do not necessarily reciprocate – so please take care if you’re out and about in the town centre.

With this in mind, can I suggest that we give the Wetherspoons a miss and go to a village about a mile north out of town called Bradwell (not to be confused with Bradwell Common slightly to the east). There are a couple of smaller boozers in Bradwell that have a much better reputation. For beer, go to the Victoria Inn on Vicarage Road (MK13 9AQ). Keeping it royal, the Prince Albert across the road (MK13 9AG) has a more modest selection of real ale but apparently a very good menu. I’m not 100% that they serve food on a Saturday dinner, but my guess is that they probably do given the reputation they have as a good food pub.

The only other local boozer of any note I can find reference to is The Cannon, on the High Street in Newport Pagnell (MK16 8AQ), which might be a possibility if you’re coming off the M1 at junction 14, though it will take you a mile or two away from the direction of the ground.

My plan is to get to the Prince Albert for around 12.15, have a bite, and then dig in at the Victoria until its time to leave for the game. As always, the more the merrier.

Phil
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2007, 09:06   #2

Re: MK meet-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
It’s been an historic season with a happy ending – but I really hope that we don’t treat Saturday’s game as a dead rubber, because if there is one team that history tells us to send packing, it is Milton Keynes. There's nothing wrong with aspiring to a place in the Football League, but there is an established way of going about it. This bunch of shysters decided that the rules didn’t apply to them and set about blagging and bribing their way into the Football League. The real disgrace, of course, was that the League let them get away with it, and at the expense of a club who had made it to the Football League in the honourable way. So there’s an even more glorious manner in which to end the season than sending Ince and his cloggers on their way, and that’s to deny this lot any chance of automatic promotion and to put a smile on the faces of those fantastic people at AFC Wimbledon (keep an eye on the Dons, in the Ryman play-offs now, success would leave them just two promotions from a return to the Football League).

Phil

I could not agree more with you Phil - very well put !!! I would like nothing more than to see the franchise fail to gain automatic promotion (I don't think they deserve it anyway !) and I really hope that Stanley won't take their foot off the gas on Saturday and really give the Dons a hammering !

I have friends who are Swindon supporters who are very nervous about Saturday's results, fearing that Stanley may lose by at least three goals and Swindon's hopes dashed if they lose to Walsall. I also have some very good friends who are supporters of Walsall - hoping desperately that their club can win the title on Saturday for their first trophy in 47 years.

If Walsall beat Swindon 1-0 and Stanley can beat the Dons, draw with them or only lose by the odd goal, everyone will be happy ! Walsall will take the title, Swindon will be automatically promoted, the Dons will have failed to gain that third automatic promotion spot (and will hopefully fail in the play offs too ) and Stanley will have ended the season with a flourish !

I'm going to get my prayer mat out now !
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:23   #3
God Member

as much as I dislike all that MK Dons stand for and how they came about, I am certainly looking forward to going there next season. The new ground is certain to be a very impressive facility so I hope they stay in the basement for longer than this season.
http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/pa...,10420,00.html

padded seats?

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 01-05-2007 at 09:27.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
as much as I dislike all that MK Dons stand for and how they came about, I am certainly looking forward to going there next season. The new ground is certain to be a very impressive facility so I hope they stay in the basement for longer than this season.
http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/pa...,10420,00.html

padded seats?
Looks a bit lifeless and dull to me. That's the problem with new grounds today, no chracter. They all look the same. Look at Wembley, its basically a larger Emirates, with no soul what-so-ever. Hell they didnt even have place to fly the flag on St Georges day!!!

Galpharm Stadium (Huddersfield)
Reebok Stadium (Bolton)
JJB Stadium (Wigan)
Keepmoat Stadium (Doncaster)

need I go on? All lifeless bowl shaped arenas, which have replaced some of the greatest atmospheric grounds ever, such as Burnden Park and Belle Vue.

However, onto the game. We'll sit back all game and then Mully will strike the sucker punch inb the 93rd minute, after Martin has played a blinder against his old employees.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44   #5
Junior Member+

Hi just thought i would let you know that there are a couple of bars near by to "the ground" the nearest one is Wetherspoons which is a 5 mins walk away. Its by the big abbey national building and is opposite Chiquitos mexican restaurant.
Crabbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:36   #6

hi all martin here! i am a millwall fan who lives in mk . i am going sat with my children and i hope stanley win ! we will be cheering for them glad your staying up . just to let you know there is macdonalds by the ground and there is a nice pub on bradwell common nr the ground called the countrymen thats a friendly pub . as anybody got astanley shirt they dont want? even though i am a milwall fan i love stanley as well! can anyone help cheers if you can please thanks martin
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:39   #7
Senior Member+

Phil, Hope to see you in the Vic. It looks OK from the GBG.

Does everyone realise this match is now all ticket - see t'fishy site. And we've been moved as well so, if you've got a North Stand ticket, allow time to change it for a West Stand ticket - and a cash refund for the reduced price!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 16:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbman View Post
Hi just thought i would let you know that there are a couple of bars near by to "the ground" the nearest one is Wetherspoons which is a 5 mins walk away. Its by the big abbey national building and is opposite Chiquitos mexican restaurant.

wetherspoons it is then our train gets in at 10.45 so we will start off in there
Old 02-05-2007, 17:47   #9
Junior Member+

Wolverhampton Reds as soon as you get out of CMK Train Station go straight on and up the road and under the under pass. You will eventually come to the wetherspoons on ur left! Cheap beer as well. You cant miss the Abbey Building either its right in front of you.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbman View Post
Wolverhampton Reds as soon as you get out of CMK Train Station go straight on and up the road and under the under pass. You will eventually come to the wetherspoons on ur left! Cheap beer as well. You cant miss the Abbey Building either its right in front of you.
thanks for that crabbman
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43   #11

Quote:
Don’t be deceived by these London satellite towns – property prices might be high but IQ levels do not necessarily reciprocate – so please take care if you’re out and about in the town centre

Well you all seem to have found the best pub for the day - W'spoons....its nearest to the ground and it does have some well kept ales.....last weekend they even had a few more on tap then usual, some sort of Beer Festival...might still be going on.

Re: the above comment.....absolute twaddle....you will be in no danger in MK, you'll be welcome...so dont worry about wearing your colours. Those of us who went to your place back in December(?) really had a great day out and one of the best welcomes we've had anywhere, found the fans/locals friendly and some of us spent a few hours afterwards in the local pubs (before heading to Blackpool where we were doing a weekender)

W'spoons is the away pub, but as the MK only Sports bar in the stadium is so expensive, you'll find plenty of Dons fans in there too.

Hope you have a good day out.
MK type person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 15:36   #12
Junior Member+

Theres no trouble in MK we're a friendly family orientated bunch! At the end of the day all there is, is plenty of banter!
Old 03-05-2007, 21:00   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post

a club who had made it to the Football League

Phil
Their mascot was a Womble and my this week's Avitar (a grave) commemorates the demise of the old Wimbledon as a Wimbledon community club.

I hope AFC Wimbledon represent their borough in the League and that that borough will accommodate them in a fitting home.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 21:04   #14
God Member

and that they stuff MK Dons in the FA Cup along the way.
Old 03-05-2007, 21:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
Their mascot was a Womble and my this week's Avitar (a grave) commemorates the demise of the old Wimbledon as a Wimbledon community club.

I hope AFC Wimbledon represent their borough in the League and that that borough will accommodate them in a fitting home.
....which borough would that be....Kingston
MK type person is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..