Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2006, 13:29   #1
Senior Member+

My thoughts on yesterday (Hartlepool)

Having had a little time to think about yesterday, I thought I'd put down some of my thoughts and observations.

Pre-match
I was on the Whinney Hill terrace a good 40 minutes before kick-off and I observed the team warming up. A group of them were stood passing the ball around, but not talking to each other. I always arrive about the same time, so to observe players showing little interest in each other was something that stood out for me. There appeared to be a lack of morale in the team, which is something I haven't seen for a long time. Jimmy Bell wasn't warning the team up as normal, but it was crying out for a motivator. Where was the Captain/leader character?? I could tell 20 minutes before kick-off that I'd be watching an under-par performance.

The match
Very, very poor performance overall. Apart from the goal and Craney's free-kick, we didn't create much else. Hartlepool deserved their win and if they'd have taken all the clear cut chances they created, they would have won that game at a canter. The sending off did affect things, but Harris had to go.

The decision making
After going down to 10 men I thought Coleman committed tactical suicide by taking off defensive players and replacing them with attackers. I know we needed 3 points at home, but we ended up with nothing when we could have had a point. Gung-ho tactics come off every blue moon, but so many times you end up losing out. Poor decision in my opinion.

The crowd
Over the last few games the home gate has averaged out at around 1900 after deducting the away support. Yesterday the gate was 1700-ish, with an estimated 500 away fans. Taking that into consideration, the 1200-ish home fans was about 700 down on recent attendances. It's no coincidence that this drop in support is mirrored in the drop of temperature and the decilne in the weather overall. Home support gates will go down further as the winter presses on. How much money are we losing with having open, windswept ends? We must have lost thousands of pounds yesterday.
And before anyone starts, this is the first time that I have commented on the roof situation.

The positives
Sean Whalley looked lively when he came on. He's naive, but needs matchplay to improve. Hopefully he'll be a worthy replacement for the largely ineffective Doherty.
Old 19-11-2006, 13:48   #2
Senior Member+

Re: My thoughts on yesterday (Hartlepool)

The free kick was one of the best I have seen and was thwarted by a brilliant save. But Hartlepool could have been 5 - 2 up by half time.

It was too much to hope that Hartlepool's shooting would remain so wayward and eventually they got it right though I was very disappointed that Ritchie Humphreys should have got so close without an effective challenge.

The crowd and lack of atmosphere were a by - product of the results since Gary Roberts left and the weather.

Even if the club picks up a decent fee for Gary the club has a difficult cost benefit exercise over the roof bearing in mind that even with the club's remarkable volunteer backing over the years they do not come cheap and the old ASFC was brought down by a ground improvement.
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 14:13   #3
God Member

agree with you tin monkey all good points,

but haggis i thought the atmosphere was good we never seemed to stop signing so whether you mean in other parts of the ground that the atmosphere was dull ??? seemed good from where i was standing :-)
Old 19-11-2006, 14:34   #4
Senior Member+

Have'nt posted on here before but i can see where Tin monkeys coming from.The ground desperately needs covering over the goal ends,God knows the folk of Accy are a fickle lot at the best of times,but adverse weather & christmas shopping will deter a lot of fans over this period.Is it any motivation to the players when they run out to a low gate & ****e weather.The apathy of the town seems to be spreading to the team.And i confess i'm one who is no prepared to stand/sit in the wind & rain,& possibly lose wages due to illness cos of no shelter.I'll be there come spring.
Old 19-11-2006, 15:19   #5
God Member

WE HAVE GOT A ROOF.. TWO IN FACT! There not hard to see.. they cover practically the full length of the pitch on both sides...

The crowds are down because we are on a losing streak.. it happens for every team in every league in every country..

Not rocket science is it..
Old 19-11-2006, 15:22   #6
God Member

There were a group of blokes stood next to me, three of them were complaining about the lack of cover and said they will never come back. One of them won't be missed though, as he was constantly shouting abuse at the players from the very start.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 15:26   #7
Senior Member+

I wish I'd have thought of that

The home crowd was down by approximately 37%. That's one hell of a drop. If it's as simple as a drop in form, then fine. It may not be rocket science, but it's much more complex than you make it sound Kipax.
Old 19-11-2006, 15:26   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
WE HAVE GOT A ROOF.. TWO IN FACT! There not hard to see.. they cover practically the full length of the pitch on both sides...

exactly!!!! i would say all those that wanted/needed cover yesterday could have got it either in the main stand or whinney hill terrace

Yesterday the weather was crap, i bet if you look throughout the country at alot of different past times there attendances where down be it shopping or football, people do not go out as much when its raining even if there is a roof they still get cold or get wet on their way home
Old 19-11-2006, 15:37   #9
God Member

We set off for the match yesterday and Julie said the weathers so bad she is going in the stands..I mean FFS people is it that hard to work out? Its pouring down.. should I stand on the terrace or go under cover... hmmmm

Yes TM I agree.. some the weather.. some the season is over with unless ya count the tin pot trophy.... theres lots of reasons.. I wasnt talking about every single person... But you have been watching football long enough to know that a team losing every week theres gonna be a drop.... Start winning games and getting through cup comps and the crowd will come back.. they wont care what colour the seats are or who makes the pies.. they will come to see a winning team.... AND... If it's raining they will go under cover or get a brolley or stand in the rain....

If they choose to stand in the rain then its exactly that.. there choice.. to then bellyache moan and cry about it is pathetic..Anyone on an open terrace yesterday knew they would be getting wet... they dont have a right to complain..no one forced them on there.. IF its a sunny day then pees down half way through.. yes a right to moan...
Old 19-11-2006, 15:39   #10
Member.

I think that TM as got the all thing nailed down really, I went away disappointed with our overall performance, I don’t know what happening locally, but I felt for the lads, at time they seemed to be all over the place at times without the cohesion and determination of pervious games. I do believe we saw some of that fight in the last 5 or 6 minutes but far too little to late.

What I do believe is that Stanley are far better than what we are seeing and given our current standing in the table I am sure that something will give and we will see a more determined second half of the season.

The support for the Clayton End was strong as always in my opinion, apart for a disheartened pose a little after there second, the Ultras kept it going and on the all where a credit to there team. I heard a few dissenting comments and a lot of very pointless over the top swearing from an hand full of supporters but all in all a good spirited crowed form all ages….

The open aspect of the terraces can only force the numbers down over the winter months; I haven’t made a game since the Boston Game and it was the first time since last season that I had a taste of an Accrington Autumn. I bitter cold and grim out there and it can only get worse, We needs bodies through the gates in order move forward, I really do think its time for some real investment in the ground, weather protection and some basic comfort for the older element of the supporters before we lose the an all.

Nice to be able to get a pint yesterday……….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 15:40   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
There were a group of blokes stood next to me, three of them were complaining about the lack of cover and said they will never come back. One of them won't be missed though, as he was constantly shouting abuse at the players from the very start.

You must have been close to where I was Stood Redash.......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 19-11-2006, 15:47   #12
Member.

Quote:
If they choose to stand in the rain then its exactly that.. there choice.. to then bellyache moan and cry about it is pathetic..Anyone on an open terrace yesterday knew they would be getting wet... they dont have a right to complain..no one forced them on there.. IF its a sunny day then pees down half way through.. yes a right to moan...

I had a hat. I don't really want to sit in the stands, I want to stand. I want to be where the living people are and see and hear the action. I want to feel the passion of all ages backing their team. I take your point and I agree with you, but for some of those older than us, a roof would be nice.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 19-11-2006, 15:54   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I agree with you, but for some of those older than us, a roof would be nice.

But? What do you eman But? I havent suggested a roof isn't needed.. I want to see one.. more for the atmosphere than the weather TBH .. I am just sick of seeing people blame the lack of roof for everything..

Some people seem to think theres a thousand people sat at home every saturday all there lives... and these people are going to read a paper saying stanley have got a roof on the clayton end.. there all gonna suddenly become accrington stanley fans on a saturday afternoon because we have a roof...

Yes a roof will help... but it wont get us new fans... it will stop a few from looking out there windows and deciding not to come on a rainy day.. the fickle ones.. but not that many
Old 19-11-2006, 15:57   #14
Member.

Quote:
But? What do you eman But? I havent suggested a roof isn't needed.. I want to see one.. more for the atmosphere than the weather TBH .. I am just sick of seeing people blame the lack of roof for everything..

Some people seem to think theres a thousand people sat at home every saturday all there lives... and these people are going to read a paper saying stanley have got a roof on the clayton end.. there all gonna suddenly become accrington stanley fans on a saturday afternoon because we have a roof...

Yes a roof will help... but it wont get us new fans... it will stop a few from looking out there windows and deciding not to come on a rainy day.. the fickle ones.. but not that many
Take your point and agree.............

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 19-11-2006, 16:00   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
WE HAVE GOT A ROOF.. TWO IN FACT! There not hard to see.. they cover practically the full length of the pitch on both sideI.
Idid say over the goal ends.Try reading it again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..