Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2006, 12:06   #16

Re: N'da

I would like to see N'Da should start though; with Rocky seeing a holding role in midfield as he does like to get forward (what he perhaps lacks in centre-half robustness, he makes up for in versatility). Though this wouldn't be likely after Andy Proctor's sound start against Chester.[/quote]

As a completely unbiased observer, I'll remind you there is now another centre half on the scene.

In Scotland, Ash came on for Welch when he was injured in the first game, then played at the back with Rocky in the second, with N'da in midfield.

Looking at them pre-season, as Ashley settled in (yes, he was poor against Burnley, but got better with each game after that), I would say that Ash is better in the air, and a better talker, but N'da is quicker.

We'll see how they shape up in the reserve games.

PS slightly odd report about Stanley in today's Daily Telegraph - the reporter stopped us as we were walking back to the car on Saturday, and reading the piece he had apparently also managed to interview the coach driver!
Ashley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2006, 12:32   #17
Senior Member+

Double Post
Old 07-08-2006, 12:34   #18
Senior Member+

To be fair Ashleys dad, Coleys not gonna just change a defence that won the conference last season, just because theres a new kid on the block,

Not saying Ashleys a bad player but we have only seen him in a couple of Friendlies. whereas Rocky and Welch Played most games together in last seasons team that won the league.

I hope Ashley does push for a First team place, but dont just expect hes gonna be picked because he came on for Welch and has played a few games.

Last edited by baldy; 07-08-2006 at 12:36.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:55   #19
God Member

Ashley's Dad; I was giving my view on the Rocky/N'Da situation, not on the selection order of the whole defence.
I would of course like to see more of your lad in games but I fear that the only way that would be possible is to get a few reserve games under his belt, as I believe Ventre or N'Da would replace Williams/Welch should any changes be made. Even Phil Edwards can play very competently anywhere across the back line. Obviously I don't know Coley's pecking order but that's how I presume it is at the moment.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:06   #20
Senior Member+

Lots of comments, but no answer to the original question.

What happened to N'da on Saturday? Was he injured? Nothing on the website yet again.
Old 07-08-2006, 13:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy
To be fair Ashleys dad, Coleys not gonna just change a defence that won the conference last season, just because theres a new kid on the block,

Not saying Ashleys a bad player but we have only seen him in a couple of Friendlies. whereas Rocky and Welch Played most games together in last seasons team that won the league.

I hope Ashley does push for a First team place, but dont just expect hes gonna be picked because he came on for Welch and has played a few games.

Agree totally - I wasn't saying he's worth a first team place now, just that when a vacancy arises, there's other cover as well as N'da.

Going back to the orginal question, all the squad travelled, though obviously not everyone made the team & bench, so I presume N'da was hanging around with the others watching the game
Ashley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:23   #22

I am glad it wasn't just me then wondering why N'da wasn't playing at Chester on Saturday. When I watched them warming up and saw no sign of him, I asked one or two of the other Stanley fans there where he was, but noone seemed to know anything.

I am not trying to criticise Coley's team selection (I freely admit to knowing little about team tactics and am learning slowly ) - but was just intrigued to know why one of our new signings had been left out for the first match.

Last edited by Urban Spaceman; 07-08-2006 at 13:25.
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:27   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Spaceman
I am not trying to criticise Coley's team selection (I freely admit to knowing little about team tactics and am learning slowly ) - but was just intrigued to know why one of our new signings had been left out for the first match.
Possibly sentimenality - playing Rocky, Procky, Cav and not fully fit Mully in our first game in the league.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:41   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
Possibly sentimenality - playing Rocky, Procky, Cav and not fully fit Mully in our first game in the league.
John Coleman?
Sentimentality?
Nah.

Rocky & Welchy are a tried and tested championship winning defensive partnership. There was no reason not to play Rocky.
Proc is the hardest working of any of our midfielders form start to finish - and proved himself against Chester.
Cav is such a strong full back against any opposition including higher teams. I've yet to see him turned inside out more than once in a game.
Mullers offers an immense presence & even if he only plays for an hour he will create 90% of our chances around the 18 yard box.

The inclusion of all these players was not sentiment fuelled. They know each other, why field a side that hasnt played together before against a hardened league team?
Old 07-08-2006, 13:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
Thanks Jeff !
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 20:04   #26
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Rocky & Welchy are a tried and tested championship winning defensive partnership. There was no reason not to play Rocky.
I have no problem with Rocky starting the season, true he did ok for most of last season but what does worry me that if he has another bad game game Tuesday v Darlington and he is not dropped. As for him being one of the quickest in the squad, that is no use when hes been turned and be time he has realised it he is 5 yards behind play.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 21:50   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I have no problem with Rocky starting the season, true he did ok for most of last season but what does worry me that if he has another bad game game Tuesday v Darlington and he is not dropped. As for him being one of the quickest in the squad, that is no use when hes been turned and be time he has realised it he is 5 yards behind play.
this time im in full agreement with you
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 22:00   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Hold on there.
"Another bad game"??
You make it sound like he's been playing bad for a full season! It's been one game - we're allowed a few to settle in right?
If you do want to point the finger at bad performances, what about Gary Roberts & Ian Craney? The pair had an awful day at Chester, should they be dropped because we have Jay Harris & Joel Byrom? Nope - because Gary & Ian are the 'stars of the squad'.
Rocky's never been a star in the team & does have his faults which is why he is playing at this level & not in the Prem.
Give the lad a little bit of slack.
Old 08-08-2006, 15:30   #29

Question Re: N'da

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
The inclusion of all these players was not sentiment fuelled. They know each other, why field a side that hasnt played together before against a hardened league team?
Just being finiky here but wasnt the Chester side on Saturday made up from 10 new summer signings???

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 17:07   #30
God Member

Granted Jimbo, but they are all experienced league players aren't they.
We only have 4 ex-leaguers in the squad.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..