Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2012, 09:13   #1
Senior Member+

Negativity

Does anyone else recongnise cookys negativity since he has come? I know we have to be a little realistic but you also need to have belief. This thread has come from his last interview on the oxford game story. He goes to say that promotion now is unrealistic etc. But if we had won away at daggers and not thrown it away and then get a win tonight then we would only be 6 points behind. Soon as he came we was in a good position and could of gone for it but it just seemed negativity about the squad has squashed promotion. He seems more concerened about the running of the club and were the clubs going then the actual football.

On Stanley On.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2012, 09:34   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Negativity

To me its called honesty, wi all our injurys etc the play offs are very unlikely, The fact hes considering the Clubs situation is to me a damn site better than the last gaffer, I certainly never want Stanley to be in such a position ever again.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:43   #3
Senior Member+

Sadly I have to agree with fc:stanley. If you listen again to his first interviews and read some of the quotations, he was talking about taking three steps back before moving forward. I had never heard a newly-appointed manager talk in such a way. It's not just recently with injuries etc; to my mind, he was less than positive from the very start.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:46   #4

I appreciate his honesty. None of this "while it's still mathematically possible" tripe that other managers trot out. The smallest club with the smallest budget in the league. Add on to that the fact we've been absolutely crippled by injuries and if Cooky can guide us to top half Id say he's done reasonably well.

The first half displays against Daggers and Morecambe were encouraging and I like the way he says he is going to speak with Bobby, Jamie and Craig in order to find the root of why they can never reciprocate their first half performances for the rest of the game.

The annoying thing is as Smudgie says when everybody is firing we've got a fantastic team!!

The real show of Cooky's metal will be when he gets his little black book of contacts out in the summer and starts to build his own team.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I certainly never want Stanley to be in such a position ever again.
What....in the playoffs?
Old 27-03-2012, 09:53   #6
God Member

I hadn't picked up on it but to be honest, if, that is the case then bravo. Sounds daft?

Many thought the Football League was a step beyond us and in a way it proved to be true. If it hadn't have been for Mr K's handout money we wouldn't have a club. The town isn't capable of sustaining a League 2 team. Our crowds, ground, facilities and infrastructure are woefully short of the standard for this league let alone the one above.

If Cooky has discussed thiswith Khan, Marsden et al and all concerned are happy that a modicom of success is acceptable until such time as we can do more than tread water then that's fine by me.

Had we gone up last season then we may be finding that the degrees of financial failures were so much greater and the club could be in severe difficulty.

We all want success but at what price? The club never caught up to promotion to the Conference - we're kinda just about there now .... but we are no longer in the Conference
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:02   #7
Senior Member+

Why is it that Liams always very positive going forward? Liam recently said " we want to finish with the most possible points as possible" he also said that " promotion is not out of the question" . Its not about promotion macca or getting it , its about his positivity for the squad. I think they also feel it aswell knowing that hes given up with this season and will rebuild now in the summer!

You dont come into any season thinking of trending water, whatever squad, pitch, ground , training facilities you have..

Old 27-03-2012, 10:02   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
But if we had won away at daggers and not thrown it away
On Stanley On.

Thrown it away ?? From what I've read it's more a set of circumstances during the 90 minutes that lost the game, not the managers negativity.
I beleive he went down to watch Barnet last Tuesday night to watch Daggers, doubt he would have done that if he hadn't planned on winnning the game.

If he gets rewarded for his workrate I hope he enjoys his stint at the Neu Camp
Old 27-03-2012, 10:15   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Thrown it away ?? From what I've read it's more a set of circumstances during the 90 minutes that lost the game, not the managers negativity.
I beleive he went down to watch Barnet last Tuesday night to watch Daggers, doubt he would have done that if he hadn't planned on winnning the game.

If he gets rewarded for his workrate I hope he enjoys his stint at the Neu Camp
Youve read that in the wrong context of what i put. I wasnt blaming cookys negativity on loosing the match, i was just pointing out a fact that if we had won and won tonight then we would be 6 points behind.

" Ive read " - Believe everything you read. Being there confirms things.

Old 27-03-2012, 10:16   #10
God Member

Quote:
its not about promotion macca or getting it , its about his positivity for the squad. ..
fair enough, but I/we don't know what has been said, is being said or whether he is just in reality a miserable git

Quote:
You dont come into any season thinking of treading water, whatever squad, pitch, ground , training facilities you have..
well a manager certainly shouldn't but I suspect more than a few chairmen hope to finish as runners up in the play off final!

Its always a difficult thought process. As a club you have to want to evolve and improve but you have to do it in some kind of order. The Whalley/Coleman era was one where as much money as possible went into the squad and producing a winning team - but we are at the highest point in our history and crowds are poor. Had we put the same effort into infrastructure, right at the beginning, where would we be? We may have better facilities, we may have our own training ground, we may have crowds twice as large, we may have triple the income coming in through the success of whatever revenue streams we had created ... but we may only be playing in the Conference.

For my mind we can't afford to put anything into the squad whilst everything else is a hundred miles behind. If we accidentally trip over a good squad then of course you push for it .. but without stretching the finances. If we ever do go up then thats great but we need the club to be in the right place or we'll sink without a trace in League 1.

I'd love to have a sugar daddy in place who could have said to Coley last season "well done pal, what a good squad we have here, give them all a 10% pay rise and here's a few quid to improve the one or two areas of the squad you feel need it" but unless we get someone rich and giddy it'll never happen here.
Old 27-03-2012, 10:17   #11
Full Member+

We do want to finish with the most point possible as Leam says BUT Paul is being realistic , with the injuries etc he is faced with decisions of who to play in the team next in order for us to finish with most point possible. Give him chance , get behind him and Come on Lads you can do it.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:20   #12
God Member

Quote:
Youve read that in the wrong context of what i put. I wasnt blaming cookys negativity on loosing the match, i was just pointing out a fact that if we had won and won tonight then we would be 6 points behind.

" Ive read " - Believe everything you read. Being there confirms things.
I was on about the throwing it away issue. If you think they threw it away then you're opinion is more valid than somebody who didn't go. I was only referring to the posts of those who went and I got the impression the injuries caused more problems than anything else.
Old 27-03-2012, 10:25   #13
Senior Member+

A vital part of a manager's job is, in current jargon, to talk the talk which is to inspire belief. We all know how difficult it is to persuade the people of Accrington to support their local club, but if the words of the manager are less than inspirational, that only makes the problem worse.

A few weeks ago, macca, you wrote this: Cook wants to be positive about what we CAN do rather than us feeling sorry for ourselves about what we can't do. We can't go out and big wages for marquee signings but we can bring talent through etc

The fans are massive particularly for a club like us and we have to bring the feelgood factor back.

I do agree that, as things currently stand, we could not possibly cope with promotion. But an appearance in a play-off final at Wembley would be fantastic. I'm not convinced that the manager's words, right from the start, have helped to bring the "feelgood factor". Yes, he may be being realistic; but that will not bring the crowds to the Crown.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:33   #14
God Member

errmm
Old 27-03-2012, 10:39   #15

Just look at the players who are out and have been out/left since Cooky came in [in some sort of order based on when we lost them/importance]:

Proc
Hessey
Hughes
Long
Stockley
Smith
Coid
Nasiala
Kiernan

Basically we've lost the everyone who plays in the middle of the park. The loss of Long, Hessey, Proc and Hughes especially has hurt us.

I back Cooky, he talks sense. Maybe yes he's a bit too honest to the press but I think he knows what a club like us needs and he will put together a good squad over the summer.
Potter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..