Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2007, 16:13   #1
Junior Member+

One person's view of the Dagenham game.

Having witnessed Stanley at Dagenham I wrote this to a friend. You may wish to read it. I did omit D'Sane's contribution which was excellent in the short time he had on the pitch.

‘I can be somewhat pessimistic about Accrington ’s performances. It is not always unfounded pessimism. Today, the team started well. I have never seen such a positive start. We actually looked good. If I was a neutral supporter I would think, WOW ! Then a sublime moment occurred. One that will live with you. We executed a move of such speed, directness, confidence and deftness that it took your breath away [Yes, this was Accrington Stanley] It is always good to view the opposition supporters when we score. Today was no exception. Conceding a goal is never good. Conceding a stunning goal of such speed, clinical passing and with an assassin’s finish was devastating. Why devastating ? Because there is a collective realisation that if this is an example of their football, then all is lost. We are unworthy to be on the same field. Moments like these are very rare. Not unique, but very rare. The Dagenham supporters just watched in silence as their world crumpled and crashed. How could they compete if this is what was on offer ? How could they compete ? A ball close, but going wide of our goal was met by an in rushing defender who had so little room for error sent the ball high into the net. The view from the Dagenham end must have been spectacular. It was from ours. But I could not blame the player. He had done his best. In the heat of the moment his judgement was called into question. But it was a honest mistake. A sublime goal that would have graced Brazil ’s great teams had been cancelled out by an unfortunate own goal. Do you see why following a team like Accrington makes you sanguine and better able to cope with life’s misfortunes. With Accrington you can aspire to greatness but realise it is not yet your turn for it. To me they are human with all the frailties that humans show. They are not the ’plastic’ team of foreign players who play for the money. Our players receive the lowest wages in the Football League, but our players play for the ‘club’. You can therefore forgive costly, honest mistakes as you would your child. There is an adage in football. “You are most vulnerable just after you score” [technically we had just scored for Dagenham] and so it proved. We made it 2 1 almost immediately and finally 3 1 in the second half'
The Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2007, 16:42   #2
Senior Member+

Re: One person's view of the Dagenham game.

Yes, that first goal was exactly as The Alchemist describes. Such a pity that it was at the opposite end from the Stanley supporters. Does anyone have a link to video clips of the game? It must have stunned the Daggers' supporters.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 17:57   #3

Try this link
Dag&Red 1-3 A. Stanley | Virgin Media | Football | League Two video
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 18:04   #4
Senior Member+

Many thanks, Claytonender. What a goal it was!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 12:07   #5
Resting in Peace

What a brilliant first post by The Alchemist - where have you been hiding?
All the joy of the football fan captured when your team's form momentarily hits the elusive heights.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 20:20   #6
Senior Member+

That goal was worthy of any league, of any venue in the World and of any time.

If there's a better worked and executed goal in the Premiership this season I would like to see it!!!

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..