Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014, 22:20   #1

Paint pot Attendance: 818 (with 282 from cufc)

Surely with some better advertising and perhaps a gamble at £5 a ticket....the Clayton End could have created a 12th man tonight and helped Stanley on to the 2nd round of the JPT???
Darwen Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2014, 22:31   #2

Re: Paint pot Attendance: 818 (with 282 from cufc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwen Red View Post
Surely with some better advertising and perhaps a gamble at £5 a ticket....the Clayton End could have created a 12th man tonight and helped Stanley on to the 2nd round of the JPT???
at £5 a ticket it would need a crowd of 1636 to take the same money and I doubt that would have happened.

I don't think it would improve the atmosphere that much either as the Clayton End seems to be a lot quieter now than in previous seasons fior whatever reason.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 23:00   #3
Senior Member+

Because of the clubs continued approach to burying it's head in the sand on such issues as over zealous stewarding and strict interpretation of rules.

Don't let anyone be fooled, there is one reason for the decline in the Clayton End and that reason is the club.

As for the tin pot trophy, it has had little to no publicity due to the football deadline day and has been in decline for years.
The FA should do the honourable thing and kill it.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:24   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Because of the clubs continued approach to burying it's head in the sand on such issues as over zealous stewarding and strict interpretation of rules.

Don't let anyone be fooled, there is one reason for the decline in the Clayton End and that reason is the club.

As for the tin pot trophy, it has had little to no publicity due to the football deadline day and has been in decline for years.
The FA should do the honourable thing and kill it.
I wonder if I could persuade the FA into doing the same honourable thing to you!!!!
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post

Which of the rules would you like them to ignore ?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25   #6

I was really shocked with that attendance. I wanted to go but ran out of money defiantly on Saturday.
Gooneroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21   #7
Super Moderator

Dav007

Quick question; why would the FA want to "kill off" a FL competition??

Plus the finalists get a trip to Wembley plus around £250k in sponsorship + gate recepits.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Don't expect a quick answer.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55   #9
God Member

In reality Stanley's gate probably holds up well in this competition. I bet if you took the time to look at all the others, the majority would be below 50% of the normal 'league' home gate.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
In reality Stanley's gate probably holds up well in this competition. I bet if you took the time to look at all the others, the majority would be below 50% of the normal 'league' home gate.
4029 at Deepdale ( PNE ) with Adults at a Fiver , reductions for S/T holders and concessions starting from £1 !

So the Preston faithful was down by around 70% on the night despite those attractive price cuts .
peter9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 15:47   #11
Senior Member+

The FA should either back the tin pot trophy and increase its exposure, maybe give the tv rights to a terrestrial broadcaster, increase prize money, subsidise entrance fees, etc
Or
They should kill it as at the moment most teams use it to give their reserves a run out until the late rounds.

Personally, they should kill it.
It is a joke trophy, embarrassing seeing Wembley 1/4 full in March for the final, and most football fans never mind the general public couldn't tell you who recently won it, when the final was played, etc.
It's a reserve team cup.
Old 03-09-2014, 15:58   #12
God Member

Without looking it up, Davo, can you tell me who won the FA cup for the last five seasons? I've no idea, but that doesn't diminish it's importance.

It is the fact that the FA are desparate to recoup any amount of money to help offset the debts of Wembley that the play-off finals, and the Paint Pot and other competitions are played there. Obviously a good league ground, preferbaly not in London, would better suit most lower league teams and fans, but getting to Wembley, however empty it may be to an accountant, is still an ambition to cherish.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 16:57   #13
Super Moderator

DAV007,

I ask again; what is the Football League Trophy (sponsored by Johnstones Paint) to do with the Football Assocation??

All the things you go on about at Football League initiatives; some games are televised; there is prize money and there is a maximum price in place, there is a rule on team strength.

Yet you want the FA to kill a FL competition!!!

Even Sepp Blatter isn't that power mad!!!
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 18:05   #14

Dav, why would Accrington Stanley want to back an idea that scraps the competition that provides us with the most realistic chance of winning some silverware in any given season?

Talk to fans of Wrexham, Grimsby, Macclesfield, Bristol Rovers, etc and they'd bite your hand off for being able to compete in the JPT
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 20:47   #15
Senior Member+

No they wouldnt.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..