Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 21:00   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Paint pot Attendance: 818 (with 282 from cufc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
Dav, why would Accrington Stanley want to back an idea that scraps the competition that provides us with the most realistic chance of winning some silverware in any given season?

Talk to fans of Wrexham, Grimsby, Macclesfield, Bristol Rovers, etc and they'd bite your hand off for being able to compete in the JPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
No they wouldnt.
Flat statement, flat contradiction ...... bound to be personal abuse next .....
Old 03-09-2014, 21:11   #17

Quote:
No they wouldnt.
Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough.

Playing in the JPT last night means that your club is in League 1 or 2. Fans of Grimsby etc would gladly swap their Conference status for Football League status.

Or then again, maybe they wouldn't!

Last edited by Jeg Red; 03-09-2014 at 21:13.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 22:02   #18

Quote:
The FA should either back the tin pot trophy and increase its exposure, maybe give the tv rights to a terrestrial broadcaster, increase prize money, subsidise entrance fees, etc
Or
They should kill it as at the moment most teams use it to give their reserves a run out until the late rounds.

Personally, they should kill it.
It is a joke trophy, embarrassing seeing Wembley 1/4 full in March for the final, and most football fans never mind the general public couldn't tell you who recently won it, when the final was played, etc.
It's a reserve team cup.
When has Wembley ever been just 1/4 full for a final in this competition? Have they added extra capacity taht we dont know about as the crowds look decent for this level of competition given the prices at Wembley

List of Football League Trophy winners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last time I went to a final in this competition it was the Sherpa Van final and only 80000 fans bothered to go.

I wouldn't care if Wembley only opened one section for us, if it was the chance to see Stanley at Wembley I, and probably many others would be there like a shot happilly paying the ridiculous amount they charge.

Some teams might not have many fans but the chance to watch them at Wembley is special and rare unless you're a Carlisle or Stevenage fan due to mickey mouse competitions
AccyMad likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 22:12   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well Wembley was less than half full tonight fer n England match, so 1/4 full fer one of these finals is pretty good,using that yardstick.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 03-09-2014, 22:18   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
Last time I went to a final in this competition it was the Sherpa Van final and only 80000 fans bothered to go.
On the assumption that was 1998 both subs for one team ended up at Stanley
Old 03-09-2014, 22:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
On the assumption that was 1998 both subs for one team ended up at Stanley
You mean 1988 and yes with one liked far more than the other
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:50   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
You mean 1988 and yes with one liked far more than the other
Yep I did mean 1988. Was a great day out even if the result was bad, which proves the point, it doesn't matter what the occasion, it still matters to the fans
AccyMad likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:29   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough.

Playing in the JPT last night means that your club is in League 1 or 2. Fans of Grimsby etc would gladly swap their Conference status for Football League status.

Or then again, maybe they wouldn't!
Of course, they would be happy to be in the football league, But they wouldnt care a damn about the JPT.

You where explicitly talking about the JPT, not league status, so my point remains valid.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Would imagine most small clubs welcome the paint pot n stuff, due to the fact no-ones got reserve sides these days, its a good chance to give people a run out in match conditions?
Old 04-09-2014, 21:46   #25
Senior Member+

Agree with Dav007, it's a pointless competition which stretches the footballing resources of a club as small as ours. Unless it's given decent exposure , hyped up a bit and took more seriously then I see no point. Players and most fans in England really don't have much enthusiasm towards this cup. This used to be the same with the league cup but the fact it's exposure on tv is now massive and big clubs are in the pot there is more insentive for players and fans alike! 2 cups for a first team squad is enough with including the football league for a club like us.

Everyone has an opinion but I see it pointless and an unnecessary expense for a lot of fans.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..