Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 18:33   #16
God Member

Smile Re: Parachute Payments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Bang on. And we are not the only club that should abide by that simple dictum. The problem - as we all know - is the distorting effects that the Premiership has had over the last 17 or so years and the trickle down financial burdens on the lower leagues.

The sooner Murdoch's Premiership and all it's attendant evils AF is abolished, the better. You never know, if we do that then maybe in 6 or 7 years time we could well see Stanley knocking on a league door two divisions above our present and England with a chance of winning the World Cup.
Great post, agree totally!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2010, 19:35   #17

Re: Parachute Payments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Totally agree Tealeaf, football should be won and lost in a fair manner on the field of play, not which team can rack up the biggest debt. The sooner the system implodes at the top the better.
I think it is already starting to implode, Liverpool and Manchester United heavily in debt. Oh and so are Chelsea to a certain Mr Abramovich, as soon as he's bored Chelsea are finished. There are very few clubs now who don't have billionaire backers but even with them, we have seen what can go wrong in Pompey and Newcastle.

However I think that would be a different post should Burnley still be in it lancsdave!
theresonlyoneaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 19:50   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresonlyoneaccy View Post
However I think that would be a different post should Burnley still be in it lancsdave!
Not at all. Burnley were a bigger club than they are now before football got greedy. I'd rather our national game went back to being the working mans game than fodder for the prawn sandwich game.
Old 06-06-2010, 00:43   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not at all. Burnley were a bigger club than they are now before football got greedy. I'd rather our national game went back to being the working mans game than fodder for the prawn sandwich game.
Very rare i agree wi a Dingle, but dave is bang on wi that comment, Burnley were a much bigger club when i was young.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:25   #20

That's before me... ;-)
theresonlyoneaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:39   #21
God Member

Dosnt matter how big or small any parachute payment is it is still income. We cannot rely on this kind of income and need to find other ways to maximise ours. As it stands we have a small but very loyal fan base that has and will do what it can to help the club. As for the wages like many employers it is that has to be controlled with the present climate. As has been mentioned there are a few of the big clubs clawing at the tank edge to avoid the smelly contents of the tank. Any player with a chance of a better wage will move on as in any kind of employent but that could lead to some young unknow wanting a crack at the league game from the non league game a chance to shine. If we start to rely on what might be considered a afe form of income from higher up the league then we are on a slippery slope again. Best to think of the parachute payments as a brucey bonus and nothing other than. At some point it will change in the future and we would get litte or nothing.

To me these payments were there to insure that if a big team with a large fan base had a bad season and dropped to the championship it was a lifebelt. If on a regular basis it was the club from the championship that come up then go back down again keeping the ones T.V. want in the top flight they will stop. It is in a way a closed shop the premiership and the smaller clubs that make it up are there as a token jesture to stay within the rules as they stand.

Would Newcastle have gone back up without the money the parachute payment gave them?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:58   #22
God Member

If you have a bit of time this makes interesting reading:

FINANCIAL SECRECY IS RUINING POOR COUNTRIES AND FOOTBALL CLUBS ALIKE, SAYS NEW REPORT | News | Supporters Direct

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

soon as i saw Christian Aid in the report, i passed on that one.
Old 07-06-2010, 17:33   #24
God Member

Shame that Cashy it is very informative document and is supported by both the Football Supporters Federation & Supporters Direct

Maybe Panorama tomorrow night entitled "Man. Utd. Into the Red" may be more up your street Cashy?

BBC News - Panorama - Manchester United's gumshoe super-fan

SFFS
Old 07-06-2010, 17:59   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Shame that Cashy it is very informative document and is supported by both the Football Supporters Federation & Supporters Direct

Maybe Panorama tomorrow night entitled "Man. Utd. Into the Red" may be more up your street Cashy?

BBC News - Panorama - Manchester United's gumshoe super-fan
Not really mate, mind if they go bust......That i will watch.
Old 09-06-2010, 17:53   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not really mate, mind if they go bust......That i will watch.
For anyone who missed it:

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Man United - Into the Red

SFFS

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..