Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2012, 08:41   #136

Re: Paul Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I hold my hands up, there was me yesterday morning defending Cook & asking folk to give him time, well he obviously wasn't prepared to offer us that courtesy which to my mind is a smack in the face to Stanley after they gave him the chance to get back into English football management, we always knew we'd be a stepping stone for him but I don't think anyone thought he'd abandon ship at the first opportunity - what happened to wanting to mould his own team - obviously a crock of bull!
Not gonna lose any sleep over him going, just hope he doesn't take Leam or any of our players with him - put Leam back in charge at least till the end of the season & see where we are then.
Sincerely hope I am wrong but what are the prospects of Podge and Boco following him?
Bentley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2012, 08:51   #137
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley5 View Post
Sincerely hope I am wrong but what are the prospects of Podge and Boco following him?
I would hope it can be sorted out in the contract?
Old 25-10-2012, 10:04   #138
Senior Member+

I Liked what i heard when Cooky first came to the club,but it now sounds like "talks a good game",which we are all good at.
The more i think about it,he would tell young players they are good enough to play at an higher level,then drop them for a loan player the next week.
This doesnt work on experienced players,so Coidy,Hughes etc..were probably forced out with rediculous contract offers.
On the other hand,i would be interested in what Liam really thinks,as i always found him as straight as an arrow.
Didnt Lewis Hatch mention false promises,first year pros being released before October??.
No doubt everything will come out in the wash,as the Ultras said,"nobody is bigger than the club",and the team will need the fans support during a very testing time.
PS - These are my own views !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:09   #139
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

That sounds a fair assessment Football19, Its a very nice way of putting what i said, The mans a SNAKE.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:15   #140
God Member

Don't know about anyone else but, after the last three performances, I'm already looking forward to seeing (or rather hearing from this distance) what Leam Richardson can do. Last time (was it only eight months ago?) I thought he was not given enough time.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:24   #141

Taken from a Chesterfield forum
"Stanley boss Paul Cook will be unveiled as the new manager of Chesterfield today.

Cook has signed a two-and-a-Half year deal with the Spireites after the two League Two rivals agreed a compensation package. The Reds are expected to receive a six-figure compensation fee for Cook.

Assistant Leam Richardson is expected to take charge of the Stanley team for Saturday’s home clash with Bristol Rovers although it’s believed Cook may also want Richardson to join him at the Proact Stadium.

Stanley physio Les Parry, the former Tranmere manager, is not under contract with the Reds but is also expected to be in the Stanley dug-out on Saturday.

The rumours started on Monday of the Spireites’ interest in the 45-year-old Stanley boss.

By Tuesday they had gathered pace with the manager taking charge of what should prove to be the final match of his fledgling Stanley career – a 1-0 defeat to York.

Cook didn’t appear for the press conference after the game and by Wednesday morning, it was confirmed that Chesterfield had made an official approach for the Stanley boss.

Chairman Peter Marsden spent all day on Wednesday negotiating a compensation package with Chesterfield as Cook has only been in charge of the Reds for eight months – and still has two-and-a-half years to run on his current deal.

"It did come as a surprise," said managing director Rob Heys, who helped to appoint Cook in February after long-serving boss John Coleman left to join Rochdale.

"It would have been nice to have Paul Cook at the club longer as I really believe it could have been a special time at the club and Paul has been a pleasure to work with.

"But we always knew Paul was ambitious and, like John Coleman before him, we would never stand in anyone’s way.

"Managers, like players, want to operate at the highest level they can and if they come here, improve us and improve themselves and then move on then we can only wish them well.

"It was no surprise to us that Paul was attracting interest. He had done fantastically well at Sligo, he is well known in football and, up until a couple of weeks ago, we were in the promotion spots.

"We knew clubs would be looking at him and we are only sorry it has been so brief, should the deal be finalised."

Coleman was in charge of the Reds for 13 years before Cook took over for a brief eight-month spell. "It’s still a new manager every six years," smiled Heys who will now step up the hunt, along with Marsden, for a new Reds manager.

Richardson is the favourite but his own future remains up in the air.

"We need to sit down and talk to Leam," said Heys.

"It has obviously all happened quickly this week but we would hope that Leam would want to carry on the work he and Paul have begun.

"It would be great if he stayed on and helped to take the team forward but, if he goes, then we wish him well too and look elsewhere.

"You want managers here for the long-term and Paul had begun putting things in place and now we hope whoever comes in will carry it on.

"Just because one man has left there is no reason to think everything will suddenly stop."

Several players admitted they are ‘gutted’ by Cook’s imminent departure with striker Padraig Amond and frontman Rommy Boco tempted back to the club by Cook being the man in charge of the Reds.

"It’s a real shock," said captain Luke Joyce. "None of us expected it and it has happened really quickly.

"But we wish him well and, as a group, we now have to stick together and hopefully get a win on Saturday."

Stanley have lost four on the bounce but the last time Richardson was in charge, when Coleman left in January, he helped them to a 4-3 win over Gillingham.

"It we can do that again, it would be nice," added Joyce.

Richardson, who has a young family, does have a tough decision to make as to whether to stay at the club or go with Cook to Chesterfield.

The assistant, who is still registered as a player, is the longest serving player at the Crown Ground, being there since 2005.

STANLEY travel to Evo-Stik side AFC Fylde in the first round of the FA Cup on Saturday, November 3."
Old 25-10-2012, 10:29   #142
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Widnes Viking posted that on this thread Billy, its from the Accy observer, Chesterfield forum have snaffled it from yon.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:36   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Sacked by Southport,
Walked out on Sligo,
Walked out on Stanley mid-season

Says it all.

Just hope it reads sacked by Chesterfield in a few months time.
Just about sums it up!

You may be our rivals but I've a feeling that you'll be better off without him...
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:46   #144
Senior Member+

Cook has gone the interest now switches to our players will they follow Cookie
what protection is written into the severance contract
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:57   #145
God Member

[QUOTE]["It has obviously all happened quickly this week but we would hope that Leam would want to carry on the work he and Paul have begun.

"It would be great if he stayed on and helped to take the team forward but, if he goes, then we wish him well too and look elsewhere.
/QUOTE]

Doesn't look good
Old 25-10-2012, 10:58   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Says who?
Old 25-10-2012, 11:14   #147
Full Member+

Read through this thread twice and all I can say is ................nothing not worth wasting time.

I'll still see the same faces in the same places on Saturday.

ON STANLEY ON
Old 25-10-2012, 11:19   #148

Really hope that Leam stays and gets the job which he should have got in the first place. I hope he comes out today and says he wants to stay and wants the job, not hang on to hear if Cook is willing to take him. It's easy to say you want to stay, knowing you don't have options - Do it now Leam.

BUT, if he goes, then he goes and we will move on to better things. People need to be at this club for the right reasons and nothing else. Yes, they can come to better themselves and move on, but put some bloody spadework in first. We were spolied by Coleys loyalty and were in an undoubtably better position when he moved on. Cook has done nothing for the club in terms of moving us forward. A win percentage of less than 25

Good Riddance to Paul Cock.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:25   #149
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Rob H was on radio lancs this morning,it will be on bbc iplayer if anyone could find and post..
Old 25-10-2012, 12:00   #150
Senior Member+

From personal contact...from listening to his shallow utterances at open forums....from inadequate post-match interviews, the thought always crossed my mind that Paul Cook was NOT skilled or experienced enough to manage The Reds or any other Football League Club, but rather a reasonably good ex-player attempting to find some future in the game !!.....a quotation came to mind relating to another of life's failures ! :-
"
He is like a ship with a great deal of sail but a very shallow keel, fast but easily wrecked on the rocks of life ! ".....
If there is any truth in my observation then Mr C might well be sailing into uncharted waters that will prove to be his downfall...we shall see !!.
As to The Reds it is now more certain than ever that a strong and steadying hand is needed to reverse the current decline in form...to instill confidence throughout the Team...and to convince the Fans that there is still some integrity to be found in Football Management !!.
( ps.. Cashy !.... Is the 'snake' you had in mind a Cobra or a Boa Constrictor ?... seems that both species have only one thing in common, so your simile gets a Karma from yours truly !).

Last edited by yonmon; 25-10-2012 at 12:02.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..