Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2012, 20:25   #211

Re: Paul Cook

At least Sean McConville will be happy about this thread. He certainly isn't public enemy number 1 any more !!!

What price John Coleman coming back to Stanley? Rochdale are doing OK but i noticed the attendance at their last home game was 1,600 !!

It seems the Rochdale public aren't overly impressed and i dare say the Rochdale board weren't anticipating being back in the middle of league 2 quite so soon.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2012, 20:28   #212

Rob Heys and others have said Paul Cook has done some great work at ASFC . What 8 wins in 32 leaque games . At any other club hed have been sacked . Good riddance ill never forget when he gave the Lancshire cup away at Leyland. With our stongest team out that day we may not have won but at least we would not have been hammered , he did the same thing against Morecambe in the J P CUP . Im convinced now Chairman and directors are clueless re football . GOOD LUCK to leam and lets all get behind him.
osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 20:32   #213
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Rob Heys and others have said Paul Cook has done some great work at ASFC . What 8 wins in 32 leaque games .
I think you will find they are referring more to off the field issues regarding the players set up. A managers job is measured by the results on the field but at clubs the size of Stanley they also have a lot of input in to the set up off the field where the players are involved.
Old 26-10-2012, 20:35   #214
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think you will find they are referring more to off the field issues regarding the players set up. A managers job is measured by the results on the field but at clubs the size of Stanley they also have a lot of input in to the set up off the field where the players are involved.
Exactly whilst Cook is a snake, we have now also got the best playing surface we ever had, n the snake gets credit fer that,
Old 26-10-2012, 20:43   #215
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Exactly whilst Cook is a snake, we have now also got the best playing surface we ever had, n the snake gets credit fer that,
Don't think so, that was work in progress long before he came in.

From what I can gather he was the main instigator of 'basing' the players at the club instead of some remote rugby ground in the back of beyond . Players are much more involved now with club based activities especially in the community. They also make extensive use of the Crown so it keeps a lot more of the spending 'within' the club. At least thats my understanding of it but I'm sure somebody will enlighten us if I'm wrong
Old 26-10-2012, 20:49   #216
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Don't think so, that was work in progress long before he came in.

From what I can gather he was the main instigator of 'basing' the players at the club instead of some remote rugby ground in the back of beyond . Players are much more involved now with club based activities especially in the community. They also make extensive use of the Crown so it keeps a lot more of the spending 'within' the club. At least thats my understanding of it but I'm sure somebody will enlighten us if I'm wrong
I know twas work in progress, but n this info is second hand, but what i was informed he told buzzer,leads me to reckon he had a good knowledge of how pitches are looked after, n to our merry little band, that seems to be working very well.
Old 26-10-2012, 21:11   #217
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I know twas work in progress, but n this info is second hand, but what i was informed he told buzzer,leads me to reckon he had a good knowledge of how pitches are looked after, n to our merry little band, that seems to be working very well.
Cashy surely not a snake in the grass
Old 26-10-2012, 21:15   #218
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
Cashy surely not a snake in the grass
Thats a great summary Nige.
Old 26-10-2012, 21:31   #219
God Member

if I measured a manager purely on results I'd brand him to be an absolute clueless clown regardless of his 6 game purple patch.

Where I had warmed to him was his insistence that the club had to get more involved with the community. It may have been luck, or just Peter Marsden taking charge, or it may have been at his bequest that things seem to have started happening off the field a little more. Still dont make him a genius though cos its all stuff that we've been saying for years!

One of Coleys faults was that he had little imagination for anything beyond his 11 players on the field and Cook was a breath of fresh air in that respect.

Right thats the love in sorted, he was still a tosspot though in the end
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 08:14   #220

THANKS Macca There is a guy behind the scenes whos more than capable in getting involved with our schools and the community Rob Housman . In my opinion a football club manager is responsible for the team and players ONLY anything else is a distraction. Like you said PAUL COOK is a TOSSPOT and thank god hes gone ill give him 6 months at the most at Chesterfield . Lets all get behind LEAM and once again GOOD LUCK he deserves it.
osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 09:40   #221
Senior Member+

"New Chesterfield manager Paul Cook said:

"We're certainly wanting to win first and foremost, that won't change, but we are going to try and play attractive football and open teams up. If we can match them both together I think we can have great success.

"We're trying to win the league. People want to settle for second best, if we say we want to be in the top three and we finish fourth then we haven't achieved our goal.

"We've got so many points [left to play for] so we can win the league. There's a lot of league games left to play for and we want to win every single one, we want to be very competitive."

Cook today on the Chesterfield v Barnet game. Didn't he say the same stuff about ASFC? I'd quite like Edgar Davids to score a hat-trick ..............
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 09:40   #222
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
one of the worst managers in asfc history as his playing record proves,on a par with leighton james,both crap and clueless good riddance
Interesting you should say that Alan. It may surprise you all to find out that I have done a table showing the 19 managers since our 1st game in 1970 and how their win rate stacks up.

Cook is 2nd last on 24% with only the hapless Leighton James below him on 19%

Don Bramley 68.03%
Dave Baron 52.55%
David Hamilton 50%
Dave Thornley 49.28%
Pat Lynch 47.27%
Gary Pierce 46.25%
Phil Staley45.96%
John Coleman 44.46%
Tony Greenwood 43.08%
Eric Whalley 41.46%
Stan Allen 37.97%
Ken Wright 33.33%
Frank O’Kane 32.08%
Dennis Cook 29.03%
Gerry Keenan 28.57%
Wayne Harrison 26.92%
Billy Rodaway 26..67%
Paul Cook 24.24%
Leighton James 19.23%

Paul Cook = officially sh ite
Old 27-10-2012, 09:53   #223
God Member

if you put all the results into a league table allowing 3 points for a win, and 1 for a draw, then average over games played ..... Cook finishes LAST with an average of 0.94 points per game.

Paul Cook = Officially the worst manager ever.
Old 27-10-2012, 09:53   #224
God Member

Interesting Stuff Rob get that anorak any tighter be calling you Kenny

What about Leam Richardson 100%

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 10:04   #225
God Member

yep, top o'tree Neil!

You could probably find stats to make him look good, but I aint got all week to waste on him!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..