Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 14:21   #1

Peel Park

Hi guys,

My name is Drew Heatley. I am writing a book titled ‘Lost League Football Grounds’, which will feature a double page spread on Peel Park. I am interested in gathering fan’s anecdotes about the old ground, including things like quirky features, big moments, and recollections of atmosphere etc. It’s an open invitation; feel free to post any memories and reminiscences in the reply. It’d be extremely helpful and would add to the book to have a fan’s perspective.

Cheers!
DHeatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2009, 14:45   #2
God Member

Re: Peel Park

Good luck with the book, sorry I can't help you, just before my time
There are a few on here though that will be along shortly I'm sure

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 16:52   #3
Resting in Peace

My most enduring memory of the old ground is of Paul Anka's big hit, "Diana" blaring out over the loudspeakers before every game in the fifties - wonderful! That and my first ever match (I think) when we drew with the Rovers under the floodlights in front of a full house. Oh, and George Stewart banging in his headed goals harder then most players of today can kick the ball.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 17:13   #4
God Member

An ex-landlord of the Peel Park pub at the back of the ground was reputed to wash out his empty pale ale bottles and sraighten out the bottletops, these were saved for Stanley home games. The morning prior to a Stanley match the bottles were filled with draught bitter and the caps refitted. Thirsty spectators who fancied a cool refreshing pint of Thwaites were disappointed to be told "Sorry, bitter's off, we've got bottles though." Whether there's any truth in this I've no idea, but it was one of the legends surrounding a certain (now deceased) publican of this watering hole.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
An ex-landlord of the Peel Park pub at the back of the ground was reputed to wash out his empty pale ale bottles and sraighten out the bottletops, these were saved for Stanley home games. The morning prior to a Stanley match the bottles were filled with draught bitter and the caps refitted. Thirsty spectators who fancied a cool refreshing pint of Thwaites were disappointed to be told "Sorry, bitter's off, we've got bottles though." Whether there's any truth in this I've no idea, but it was one of the legends surrounding a certain (now deceased) publican of this watering hole.
I remember my Dad telling me about that when I was a kid - East Lancs Pale Ale

Last edited by Bradshaw Boy; 02-06-2009 at 18:55.
Bradshaw Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 19:15   #6
Senior Member+

I remember a few things from the Peel Park days. I can always visualise how many cars where parked on streets like Manor St, Lodge St when Stanley were at home. This was the 1950s, not many people had cars then.

I also remember the all Scottish Stanley team,George Stewart's goals in particular. Goalkeeper Tommy McQueen talking to crowd behind the coppice goal comes to mind.

One of the games I remember quite well was the cup match against Preston who were then I think I'm right in saying were in the the old first division. Stanley drew away at Preston which was a great result, but lost the replay at Peel Park. A big crowd on that night.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:22   #7
Senior Member+

I remember as a school boy going to the school next door, nicking over the walls to watch the club training during the day. Can't remember too much about the team pre '63 just a wee nipper then

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53   #8
Full Member+

I, too, remember the game against Preston at Peel Park. It was an Fa cup replay. Preston were in the old Division 1 at the time and Stanley had played well to hold them to a draw at Deepdale. I was only a boy and on the night of the replay the ground was packed. I'd never seen it so full, we had to push to the front to get any sight of the pitch. The only player I can remember now from the Stanley team on the night was goalkeeper Alex Smith who made several fine saves but we still ended up losing 0-4 !!

PS records show the date of the game was 09/01/1961
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 14:27   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
I, too, remember the game against Preston at Peel Park. It was an Fa cup replay. Preston were in the old Division 1 at the time and Stanley had played well to hold them to a draw at Deepdale. I was only a boy and on the night of the replay the ground was packed. I'd never seen it so full, we had to push to the front to get any sight of the pitch. The only player I can remember now from the Stanley team on the night was goalkeeper Alex Smith who made several fine saves but we still ended up losing 0-4 !!

PS records show the date of the game was 09/01/1961
The Preston goalkeeper I seem to remember was Fred Else, who also played for Blackburn.

There was somethng special about the replay. Was it T.V highlights of the match where shown. Or was 1961 too early for that.
Old 03-06-2009, 15:40   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There was somethng special about the replay. Was it T.V highlights of the match where shown. Or was 1961 too early for that.
Wasn't it our first home game under floodlights?
Old 03-06-2009, 15:54   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Wasn't it our first home game under floodlights?
That's right. I knew there was something different about the match. I just couldn't bring to mind what it was.
Old 03-06-2009, 16:07   #12
Resting In Peace

Stanley's first match under floodlights was 1954/55 season against East Fife.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 16:29   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The Preston goalkeeper I seem to remember was Fred Else, who also played for Blackburn.

I was at that game Bernard, it was a bloody awful night, it bucketed it down right through the match, I was right behind the goals at the Peel Park School end, Stanley might of got beaten but the atmosphere was great
Old 03-06-2009, 16:32   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Stanley's first match under floodlights was 1954/55 season against East Fife.
Thought Stanley had lights before 1961 JEFF, in fact they were one of the first clubs in the football league to get lights, before Rovers and Burnley, If I remember rightly they were on 8 telegraph poles 4 on each side of the ground
Old 03-06-2009, 16:35   #15
Resting in Peace

I can remember some 5 or 6 years after Stanley folded I had the job of actually dismantling the old Wooden Stand at Peel Park, in fact its not that long ago that some pictures were published in the Observer of the stand being dismantled

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..