Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2012, 19:54   #1
Dan
Senior Member+

Questions - your responses required please

Evening all
As the new season approaches I'm looking for some feedback on one or two things. I'm going to ask a few questions on a number of different subjects, and I'd really appreciate your responses.

I'm going to start with the match day programme if that's okay...

- Did you regularly buy a programme last season?

- Did you think it was value for money and why (or indeed why not)?

- On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate the content?

- How easy do you find it to get a programme on a match day (how many programme sellers do you see for example)

- Are there areas where programmes should be sold and aren't?

More to come!

Cheers
Dan

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2012, 19:55   #2
Dan
Senior Member+

Re: Questions - your responses required please

On a similar note...

If you DON'T buy a programme, what's the main reason why not?

- Barry Davies

- Brian Moore
Old 23-07-2012, 20:02   #3
Dan
Senior Member+

Next up... Website matters:

- After a game, would you prefer reaction to come in;

a) written form (quickest) b) audio (relatively quick) c) video (most time consuming)

- the point of this question is to find out whether you'd rather get the thoughts of the manager straight away and in a limited way, or a few hours later in a more full way.

- Are you interested in hearing from other members of the backroom staff, instead of the manager, from time to time (Leam and Paul Lodge in pre-season as an example)?

- Barry Davies

- Brian Moore
Old 23-07-2012, 20:20   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Next up... Website matters:

- After a game, would you prefer reaction to come in;

a) written form (quickest) b) audio (relatively quick) c) video (most time consuming)

- the point of this question is to find out whether you'd rather get the thoughts of the manager straight away and in a limited way, or a few hours later in a more full way.

- Are you interested in hearing from other members of the backroom staff, instead of the manager, from time to time (Leam and Paul Lodge in pre-season as an example)?
Thoughts of manager straight away are good in my view, probably better when things are still fresh in the mind? I assume audio is what Paul Lodge gave on fishy site? If so i have been unable to listen to it. I click on n it tells me i must have flash, well i got it, but still it says that? any advice from someone who aint a numpty like me,would be welcome. always like to hear from Leam,@ co anytime is more n welcome as far as i'm concerned.
Old 23-07-2012, 21:06   #5
God Member

I dont get on anywhere near as often as I'd like these days so the website stuff is important to me, I'm not altogether arsed about video so fer me you can drop it - snippets from the training ground are excellent in video though.
A bit of variety is good as well. Last season was a bit monotonous from Coley, as you knew what he was gonna say before it was growled. Leam is best for audio, as he is crystal clear, Cooky is best in writing depending which accent he uses.

As for programmes, I haven't bought one for a long time unless its a mega important game, and then I either get up during the day or take my chances a day or so later. the main reason for not buying one is cost. Three quid or so aint a fortune but it is when you lose it before you read it . But when you add up your admission, some scran, pre match beers, five to three beers, 50-50 tickets, its too much. As far as programmes go it always seems a good one to me in terms of quality. It looks good, feels good, not too many adverts ... but as with most content is a struggle. There either isn't enough (everyone generally) or it reads too "samey" ...notes from the manager, notes from the CEO, notes from the Chairman, notes from the reserves, notes from the youths, ........ etc etc. Who won programme of the year last year in each division and why? do we care? I know Eric Whalley was of the opinion that if folk want one they'll buy it whether its good or crap -and he's mostly right I reckon

Once over they used to do a subscription on programmes where you pre-ordered for the season and they were delivered to you (I still dont want one though), was that ever successful?
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 21:08   #6
God Member

As far as selling booths are concerned, we only have three sets of turnstiles so it isn't rocket science where to sell them. When they are wandering about it is easy to miss them and the beer huts/food vans only ever have a few. Usually they have them all left but occasionally none and the sale has gone. Man inside the turnstile, can't go wrong
Old 23-07-2012, 21:16   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I also think seller inside the turnstile is as good a place as any to flog programmes, To be honest i reckon 50-50 is a much more attractive sale, but not pushed enough, we always buy em "IF" someones flogging em on Clayton-End just before kick-off, which is rarely the case these days. Reason i don't get a programme is cost simple as, not a lot wrong wi existing ones, but being retired i'm past all that, if fact i gave me Pre 62 progs to the club a good few years ago.
Old 23-07-2012, 23:07   #8
Full Member+

Programmes:

Content 6/10 ... always looks professional these days, but reading the sections of interest would take no more than 5 minutes. Whenever I've bought/seen them, like macca said, they tend to have the same formula throughout, so I'd be buying them for memorabilia purposes only.

Availability ... only rarely am I not asked if I would like to buy one - normally in Crown car park - so not a problem in my experience.

Regularly buy a programme ... no. Maybe bought two last season at most. I think that they have lost their basic appeal to fans - I don't need it for match reports or player profiles or statistics or match previews as they are available on the fishy site or here or on sports news sites (and tv channels). There really is little in terms of content that is unique that would make me want to buy one regularly.

I remember Phil Terry's displays of his encyclopedic knowledge of non-league football and his serialisations in the programmes that made them very entertaining to read. But that was still in an age before the digital economy and that was an age when paper products had an audience and therefore a price that people would pay ... which then leads to your next question re: media format.

Website

After the game, I look for a written report first of all. Less so, if I had been at the game, but I always enjoy reading the report to see if I agree with the comments or if I hadn't been able to see something from the Clayton End. I then go here and read other people's impressions of the game.

Not particularly keen on the audio files, I much prefer the videos instead. I do like the fact that these tended to appear the day after the game as it gave a new reason to look back on the previous day's game.

In terms of video interviewees, managers tend to quite guarded in their interviews (apart from Ian Holloway), so I would prefer to see videos from the range of backroom staff and the players as well. But that is not just in terms of matchday interviews, there is the scope for using videos on the fishy site more regularly, for example, report from the treatment room, report from the directors or commercial staff or other non-playing backroom staff and, more importantly for me, more 'fun' interviews with the players such as those on Late Kick Off North West.

The only problem is that you can't charge for this content unlike programmes. However, it will help fans, hardcore and casual, feel much closer to the Club and its staff and players, and that should reap its own dividends.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 09:41   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Evening all
As the new season approaches I'm looking for some feedback on one or two things. I'm going to ask a few questions on a number of different subjects, and I'd really appreciate your responses.

I'm going to start with the match day programme if that's okay...

- Did you regularly buy a programme last season?

- Did you think it was value for money and why (or indeed why not)?

- On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate the content?

- How easy do you find it to get a programme on a match day (how many programme sellers do you see for example)

- Are there areas where programmes should be sold and aren't?

More to come!

Cheers
Dan
If you want to sell more programmes use the art of selling guide
(The art of selling) you give something away with the item, or at least give someone the chance of winning something, lucky programme number to win a prize of some sort
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 10:28   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
it will help fans, hardcore and casual, feel much closer to the Club and its staff and players, and that should reap its own dividends.

this is important and has been largely ignored for many a year. Something done by the club has all too frequently been judged on its ability to generate a specific amount of funds. Things are rarely done "just for the hell of it" so to speak.

I think that if things were being frequently added to the website then fans would be prepared to pay a nominal amount in subscription, but would have to be a very nominal amount. Enough fans multiplied by 52 weeks a year could bring something in although it probably wouldn't warrant the cost of doing all by itself.

We've talked in the past about the why's and why nots of joining in with the rest of the FL with regards to the website and having the merits of that available to us, maybe that might be worth re-visiting? Knowing that I'll most likely not be attending many games again this season I'm considering joining another site just so that I use the live commentary available for the games ( I believe that joining one entitles you log in on any site so I could just log in to whoever we're playing against to listen to all our games) - the question is which club should get my fiver a month?
Old 24-07-2012, 10:33   #11
Senior Member+

- Did you regularly buy a programme last season? Yes

- Did you think it was value for money and why (or indeed why not)? Yes, just about

- On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate the content? 5. I agree with what others have said about too much similar content. I don't understand why it needs CEO/Chairman, manager and captain all to welcome the opposition and their fans, and hope for an exciting game. Suggestions :
'Where are they now?' (former players);
'A view from the ground' (a supporter's view of the previous game[s] or season so far)
;
'A day in the life' (a typical day [ok, no day is typical - but you know what I mean] in the life of a member of staff - player, official, groundsman, community team, etc);

- How easy do you find it to get a programme on a match day (how many programme sellers do you see for example) Usually easy, but strangely some games sold out far too early last season. I've realised that the only reliable source is the shop. I only ever see one seller outside the ground.

- Are there areas where programmes should be sold and aren't? Yes, inside the ground around the perimeter of the pitch.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 11:19   #12
God Member

I think the 'welcome' from the manager is essential, and common courtesy to guests, as is a profile of the opposition. Away fans may be more inclined to buy a programme as a souvenir of their visit and to see what we think of their team. I'm usually restricted to away games and know that I enjoy reading what they write about Stanley, however misinfomed it sometimes is.
Stanley's programme is as good as most, but it's not something I seek out. Stanley's web site is better than most. There seems to be a standard website provider that many clubs use; I guess it is cheaper to run but I find most of them really annoying - standardised appearance where only the colours are different, plastered with adverts, and sometimes impossible to navigate. I've lost count of the number of other web sites where i've given up trying to find how to buy tickets for the away end.
One thing my missus notes about The Crown is the absence of any kind of display screen, giving teams, scorers, gate, and even the time.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:35   #13
Full Member+

I sell 50/50 tickets inside the ground at the main turnstiles .I have asked programme sellers to stand with or near me but they choose not too, yet fans often ask me where the sellers are as they want a programme . I tell the sellers but to no avail.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 18:38   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
I sell 50/50 tickets inside the ground at the main turnstiles .I have asked programme sellers to stand with or near me but they choose not too, yet fans often ask me where the sellers are as they want a programme . I tell the sellers but to no avail.
I too used to sell 50/50 tickets on the away end and was also asked about programme sellers. They seem to do a disappearing act or try to sell them outside the ground but refuse to sell them inside the ground or just don't go in the ground for whatever reason by which time you are telling supporters who have entered the ground that programmes are available outside but they cannot go back out to buy one. Erect stalls at all entrances to the ground to sell programmes and this will alleviate a problem.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 18:54   #15
God Member

In the past they have sold programmes from the kiosk that sells beer in the Clayton End, likewise if there is the same facility in the away end, club shop for the main stand that should be problem sorted.

There are other ways and add ons but that's for another time.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..