Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2005, 14:34   #1
Senior Member+

Reasons why we bother................

Been on the Stevenage Board & there is an article about Boro & why, the highlights the memories, etc etc so Accrington Stanley, why do you bother?

I'll start with....

2-0 down at radcliffe & promotion gone, 20 mins to go Assistant Manager comes on, 3 goals mini pitch invasion, huge away following

Kazoo's at Frickley Athletic

Stanley Ultras Fans Football

Adam Cottier in a Burnley shirt

Village Idiot at Scarborough

The Services!

Plum Tours RIP

Ian Craney's goal at Morecambe

JohnnySmith

Hacker's header at Burscough

Mark Shirley's goal against Farsley Athletic

Bournemouth Away (4 coaches!)

Anymore?.............................?

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2005, 14:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Reasons why we bother................

Gouck's rocket against Huddersfield!

Old 13-10-2005, 14:53   #3
Senior Member+

The Chicken bus!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 13-10-2005, 16:06   #4
ash
Junior Member+

If I'm being honest, I always followed Stanley's results, but a couple of years ago I just got really sick of spending my hard earned cash watching a team full of millionaires running around a park known as Ewood, pulling up in their 4x4's, Mercs, BMW's etc... whilst I'm turning up to the game in my beat up N reg Seat Ibiza with 101600 miles on the clock !!!

Went to my first Stanley game two season's ago and loved it.... it just seemed... hard to explain, more real. Yeah I still follow Blackburn's results but as a fan not a supporter, now I go down to Stanley as a supporter and a fan !!!

So the reason why I bother is because I enjoy the 'real' feeling of watching Stanley play.... the players giving their all for the game, not the pay cheque !!!
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 16:08   #5
ash
Junior Member+

.......and the Milk advert !!!!
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 16:39   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash
If I'm being honest, I always followed Stanley's results, but a couple of years ago I just got really sick of spending my hard earned cash watching a team full of millionaires running around a park known as Ewood, pulling up in their 4x4's, Mercs, BMW's etc... whilst I'm turning up to the game in my beat up N reg Seat Ibiza with 101600 miles on the clock !!!

Went to my first Stanley game two season's ago and loved it.... it just seemed... hard to explain, more real. Yeah I still follow Blackburn's results but as a fan not a supporter, now I go down to Stanley as a supporter and a fan !!!

So the reason why I bother is because I enjoy the 'real' feeling of watching Stanley play.... the players giving their all for the game, not the pay cheque !!!
SNAP!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 19:16   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash

Money is also the problem in a much more obvious sense - and not just in the Premiership - when you compare ticket prices around Europe. In the summer, Juventus signed Patrick Vieira from Arsenal and Woking signed Clint Davies, a goalkeeper, from Perth. It costs more to watch the Aussie stop the shots in a Conference game in Surrey than it does to watch the World Cup winning Frenchman at the Stadio delle Alpi. Woking £14 a seat, Juventus £13.80. Explain that.
http://football.guardian.co.uk/bluep...574204,00.html

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 20:19   #8
Senior Member+

You can't make comparisons like that Bazf. Italy is a completely different proposition to England and Juventus is a case on its own anyway.

It may be under £14 to watch Juventus at the Stadio Delle Alpi, but relatively few Turin residents turn out to watch them. Even at the recent 'Derby of Italy' between Juventus and Internazionale, the stadium was less than half full. When was the last time you saw Highbury or Old Trafford less than half full for a first team game?

It's supply and demand, and you could sell Juventus tickets for £1 and you still wouldn't sell them all. Hence the low prices in Italy.
Old 13-10-2005, 22:50   #9
God Member

reasons why:

real football win lose or draw.
drink
best atmosphere in non-league football
Barbados '95 - the look on the faces of local Bajans when the Red Army (v small army) rolled into town complete with woolly hats and scarves
Radcliffe away - what Jase said
Boston away (the first time) - 40 people in fancy dress, walking down the equivalent of Broadway on a bank holiday weekend in glorious sunshine chanting "oh Accrington". I dont think they had ever seen owt like it and every man woman and child put there shopping down and gawped at us.
Guisley away - the coach rolled up at a small local boozer and 50 people got off. The pub was instantly packed and the old timer behind the bar was run into the ground. You could see the relief on his face when everyone was done at the bar. I kindly pointed out that as it was the last game of the season we had a couple of pub coaches coming as well. Cue the Sydney St Club and Alma coaches pulling up outside. PMSL. Then not getting in the bar after the game because we had sat at the sponsors table before the game, we walked across the adjoining cricket pitch to the nearest pub, cricket match still in progress.
Jon Senior battering two Chorley players.
Moore the Southport keeper - crying after being sent off after Paul Beck had equalised 5 minutes into stoppage time with a blatant diving punch to deny Southport the 3 points needed to secure the title.
****ing behind the scoreboard - at Bradford Park Avenue and banging on the board. Every blow took a chunk out of the worm ridden wood.
T.C. and his one man lap of honour at the final whistle of said game
T.C. not tipping the driver coming home from Marine and subsequently being tipped upside down for every bit of loose change in his pockets. Which back alley TC? (you had to be there trust me)
Diego Mara-Mellors cross-cum-wind-assisted shot at Atherstone

I could go on and on
Old 13-10-2005, 23:08   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
reasons why:

real football win lose or draw.
drink
best atmosphere in non-league football
Barbados '95 - the look on the faces of local Bajans when the Red Army (v small army) rolled into town complete with woolly hats and scarves
Radcliffe away - what Jase said
Boston away (the first time) - 40 people in fancy dress, walking down the equivalent of Broadway on a bank holiday weekend in glorious sunshine chanting "oh Accrington". I dont think they had ever seen owt like it and every man woman and child put there shopping down and gawped at us.
Guisley away - the coach rolled up at a small local boozer and 50 people got off. The pub was instantly packed and the old timer behind the bar was run into the ground. You could see the relief on his face when everyone was done at the bar. I kindly pointed out that as it was the last game of the season we had a couple of pub coaches coming as well. Cue the Sydney St Club and Alma coaches pulling up outside. PMSL. Then not getting in the bar after the game because we had sat at the sponsors table before the game, we walked across the adjoining cricket pitch to the nearest pub, cricket match still in progress.
Jon Senior battering two Chorley players.
Moore the Southport keeper - crying after being sent off after Paul Beck had equalised 5 minutes into stoppage time with a blatant diving punch to deny Southport the 3 points needed to secure the title.
****ing behind the scoreboard - at Bradford Park Avenue and banging on the board. Every blow took a chunk out of the worm ridden wood.
T.C. and his one man lap of honour at the final whistle of said game
T.C. not tipping the driver coming home from Marine and subsequently being tipped upside down for every bit of loose change in his pockets. Which back alley TC? (you had to be there trust me)
Diego Mara-Mellors cross-cum-wind-assisted shot at Atherstone

I could go on and on
Watchin some bloke trying to blow into a bugle against Huddersfield after 14 vodkas

Getting smacked in the face by a Fleetwood fan in 1989?? A full grown beer monster man

Gettin in free at half time

Rob Heys Chief Executive!!!!!!

Winning live on BBC & Sky TV

Pattersons penalty at Burscough (its still going)

the "band" at Leek Town

Winning the footie card when you out of beer money

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 13-10-2005, 23:13   #11
God Member

[QUOTE=Willie Miller]Watchin some bloke trying to blow into a bugle against Huddersfield after 14 vodkas

QUOTE]

a litre of vodka i'll have you know - and it was accidental
Old 13-10-2005, 23:14   #12
God Member

and you should have seen me blow in that nice officers machine when I was driving home
Old 14-10-2005, 13:04   #13

Having a go at Gaz McDonald, getting kicked out of Woking and watching him s**ting his pants when he came up to Stanley

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 15:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller
The Chicken bus!
Damn right
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 20:02   #15
Senior Member+

paul howarth's penalty against Bournemouth

Beating Barnet 4-1

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..