Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2006, 13:44   #1
God Member

Rob Elliot

Forget the attackers and goalscoreres for a minute. I know it's a team effort and every player has his part and the manager puts it all together and thats what makes the team what it is.

But what about our current goalkeeper. Considering all the problems we had at the start of the season havent we got a gem now? As far as i am concerned he is one of the main reasons we are at the top of the table.

Our great defence stops too much getting to him but sometimes he has to pull off the save of the century right in the dying minutes. I have seen him make some breathtaking saves... Quite a lot of our games are won by one goal.. Imagine that one wonder save didn't happen. We could be in a lot worse position than we are. Wins could be draws and draws could easilly be losses.

The guy is only on loan and according to a recent article in the Obsever he will be looking for a club at the end of the season...

Surely we must sign him permanant ? Anyone agree ?
Old 22-02-2006, 13:48   #2
God Member

Re: Rob Elliot

He is out of contract with Charlton at the end of the season; I'd love to see him in the Stanley number 1 shirt next season - I'm sure he would prove himself as a top keeper at League 2 and higher.
His world class saves in dying minutes have kept us from losing vital points in difficult games and we owe a lot to him...at very least a contract!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 14:32   #3
Senior Member+

I for one would love to see rob sign on permanently but do you think he will? Surely he must of attracted championship clubs with his magnificent saves and throwing ability..then again i didn't think phil edwards would sign
Old 22-02-2006, 14:37   #4
God Member

His club recently asked me for pictures of him to use in there program... so they havent lost all interest
Old 22-02-2006, 14:41   #5
Member.

Absolutely, failure to sign Rob Elliott would send a shock wave through the team that we wouldn’t feel the effect of until the new season. I have watched this chap closely for the last seven home games and apart for the odd off day he’s been an absolute Bulwark against the opposition. If and it can be only if Rob wants to stay with the club he should be signed as soon as it possible. But can he have a new Home Shirt please…….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 14:46   #6

I think it's a case not a if we should sign him, we must. Absolute superb goalkeeper, we just have to hope that we can keep him.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 14:52   #7
Give, give, give member

Totally agree we should sign him.

As well as making some fantastic saves, you can tell how much he is integral to the team by how much impassioned shouting he does to the rest of the players.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 14:59   #8
Junior Member+

I've been really impressed whenever I've seen Rob play. He never looks like he's going to make a mistake. Very reliable and he really does seem to be part of the team. We need him to stay.
worzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 15:13   #9
God Member

I know its a pain when people say they cant quote a source.. But I can't... However I ahve just been told that Charlton will probably sign him back on at end of season but offer him out for a season long loan...

Looks like they can see he is one for the future but want to keep him playing... Lets hope its us that get him.. Would be happy to have him even as a loan player
Old 22-02-2006, 16:16   #10

I totally agree, but again, its up to rob if he wants to stay as a charlton player, or if he wants to be involved in a full time basis with another team
Old 22-02-2006, 16:21   #11
God Member

Reading Rob's recent comments in the observer; he is playing for a contract, whether it be at Charlton or Stanley - and I honestly think from reading between the lines that he wants to be a Stanley player next season - the realistic situation however is that Charlton will sign him on for another year and loan him out (hopefully to us please!!!) I hope Charlton are happy to see him play at League 2 level and aren't willing to test him at Championship level by loaning him to a club in that division.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 18:29   #12
God Member

I remember us being offered Scott Tynan for £50k last year but the club wouldn't pay that for a keeper. If he was to become 'signable' I would certainly say he was worth that in wages for the points he has secured us and the future transfer fee he will command. If he ends up elsewhere then I would go back for big Dazzer. I originally thought that Randolph had a better all round presence and was a better shot stopper, but Rob edged the distribution side of his game. After the last few games and some of the saves that Rob has made I can now only surmise that Rob is the better of the two. And a year younger.
Old 22-02-2006, 23:31   #13

I thought Darren was a class act but Rob has gelled within the team & it would be a poor move to find ourselves in a return to league football without a permanent keeper.Lets not forget Danny who has been kept on the sidelines & has been extremely patient as a long running no 2 & probably feels he will never get the no 1 slot now. But I am certain that Coley knows this squad is young, ambitious & can develop further so keep the lot of them together & strengthen rather than disband & have to rebuild. It has taken us three years to get to the gates of league football & who knows where a developing young team can take us in the next three years?
Old 22-02-2006, 23:37   #14
God Member

have to agree, Rob has been an absolute star as was Darren before him. But as others have said Danny has had the patience of a saint, gone through injury, now fully fit and hopefully coley will give him a go to show what he is capable of when we are more sure of being conf champs

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 00:06   #15
God Member

is it still 10 games for a medal? that would reward the lads patience

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..