Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2006, 11:02   #16

Re: Same Old Club

The board seems to disagree, but it wasn’t always so. John Alty, the then chairman told me in 1989 or 90 that the only reason the club didn’t adopt the old records was that they didn’t have the statistics.
<O
Incidentally, I have now obtained the full Football League registration records (save for one season). If you want proof that dad’s cousin did play for the club, send me an e-mail, and I’ll check him out.

www.accringtonstanley.has.it<O</O
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2006, 11:04   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger
tistics.
<O
Incidentally, I have now obtained the full Football League registration records (save for one season). If you want proof that dad’s cousin did play for the club, send me an e-mail, and I’ll check him out.

www.accringtonstanley.has.it<O</O
I get loads of queries (as webmaster fishy site) re the old stanley and always direct them to your site.. is there a more direct email to send em to? PM if ya like
Old 15-07-2006, 16:04   #18
rob

i don't think the board or anyone else at the club disagrees greger, i suppose officially the club as it is was formed (reformed) in 1968 but as far as we're concerned we are in effect the same town team club that played in the football league pre 1962, and also the town team club that were founder members of the football league in 1888, albeit under a slightly different name. accrington has a great footballing history and hopefully we can carry on adding to it as the years go on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger
The board seems to disagree, but it wasn’t always so. John Alty, the then chairman told me in 1989 or 90 that the only reason the club didn’t adopt the old records was that they didn’t have the statistics.
<o>

www.accringtonstanley.has.it<o></o>
</o>
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 20:04   #19

But that's where I get confused. If we all (except Kipax perhaps) agree that it's the same club, why insist on an official (re)formation date in 1968? The club's been reformed before, e.g. in 1919, but nobody ever made much of that date. This may be more important to stats and history buffs like me, but it's difficult to know what to say to reporters etc. Have Stanley played Chester before?
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 09:47   #20
Senior Member+

Not last season but the season before that

03/04 season 3-3 at their place and 0-2 at our place
Old 17-07-2006, 08:31   #21
rob

i think some of it is down to personal opinion, if we openly state we are over 100 years old then we get the sticklers contacting us explaining that we're not, but certainly as far as i'm concerned we are one and the same with a few breaks and name changes in between...
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 09:44   #22
God Member

it says it all in the word doesnt it...RE-formed....that means the club of old has formed again doesnt it? if it was a new club then the club would have been formed wouldnt it?
Old 17-07-2006, 11:01   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The club's been reformed before, e.g. in 1919, but nobody ever made much of that date.
We started with Accrington F.C.
Then Accrington Stanley
Then Accrington Stanley (1921) Limited
Back to Accrington F.C.
Now Accrington Stanley again.

It's still the team representing Accrington - founder members of the Football League - it's just the name that's changed a few times.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 11:06   #24
God Member

To all intents and purposes its the same club. To just about everyone in accy its the same club and especially to people who where around with the old club...

But legally I doubt its the same club... If legally it isn't the same club then the people of accy can call it the same but official bodies must refer to it as a new club..

Someone should go find the legal side of it and thats your answer.
Old 17-07-2006, 11:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
We started with Accrington F.C.
Then Accrington Stanley
Then Accrington Stanley (1921) Limited
Back to Accrington F.C.
Now Accrington Stanley again.

It's still the team representing Accrington - founder members of the Football League - it's just the name that's changed a few times.
I follow this mostly, but can someone explain when we changed back to Accrington FC for the 2nd time?
Old 17-07-2006, 12:10   #26
Super Moderator

In December 1963, when Accrington Stanley (1921) was finally wound up, after the taxman filed a petition for bankruptcy. The club then carried on playing in the Lancs Combination at Peel Park under the name Accrington FC until they disbanded in January 1966. When the new Stanley formed, they had to adopt the title Accrington Stanley (1968) intially, so they would not be liable for the old Stanley's debts.
Old 17-07-2006, 12:20   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
When the new Stanley formed, they had to adopt the title Accrington Stanley (1968) intially, so they would not be liable for the old Stanley's debts.
That says different club to me.. Legally.
Old 17-07-2006, 12:36   #28
Super Moderator

Different club legally, same club in spirit.
Old 17-07-2006, 13:19   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
That says different club to me.. Legally.
What about Bristol City FC (1982) or Charlton Athletic (1984) Limited. Legally then these are different clubs than before 1982 and 1984 respectively, but their history goes back to 1894 in the case of Bristol City, when they were called Bristol South End, and 1905 in the case of Charlton Athletic. Legally they are different companies, but I would still call them the same football clubs.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2006, 14:25   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Different club legally, same club in spirit.
Exactly what I was trying to say

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..