Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 11:51   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Seating for away fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcowboy View Post
Im actually quite surprised they didnt, our lads n lasses are usually pretty good at that ( a compliment not a dig!), if it happens again Mab, then let the nearest steward know and Im sure they will sort it out..........back me up Ozzy!!
OK mate - as a steward we had a major problem on Saturday - Stanley and Aldershot youth players decided to sit in the disabled area, and no amount of coercing would move them. Eventually it was decided to leave them where they were. I do appreciate people thinking others are not disabled, but there are 2 classes of disabled persons, i.e. fully disabled (in wheelchairs) and ambulant disabled (those who can walk - my partner falls into this class). If someone had been sitting on the wall, they are asked to get off and sit down, same if a child is being held on a crush barrier at either end. The parent is asked to take them off. At this point, the long suffering steward is usually thrown some vitriolic verbal abuse. If they persist then they go. But who would want to be a steward for what they get, and before anyone says we get to watch the game for free, think again, I very often see very little of the game, because I am too busy watching the crowd or in a non visual area eg round the back of the terracing. Its not all its cracked out to be. But yes, if you see any problems whatsoever, however petty they may seem, mention it to a steward and they should sort it out (I would hope anyway).

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2008, 12:21   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcowboy View Post
Im actually quite surprised they didnt, our lads n lasses are usually pretty good at that ( a compliment not a dig!), if it happens again Mab, then let the nearest steward know and Im sure they will sort it out..........back me up Ozzy!!

Does this apply to the 'Shots' Fans who were hogging the seats in the Stanley Directors/ Sponsors Guests area as well Cowboy?...this half-dozen loud-mouthed Aldershot Nitwits didn't exactly enhance my afternoon!!...I chose my seat to be sure of escaping this sort of irritation!...
This sounds a bit selfish I know,and if it does I'm sorry..but I wasn't the only one to show concern at their prescence !!...
Someone must have given them permission to sit there..perhaps the same person who was seen to be turning others away from this hallowed seating area??
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:50   #18
I am Banned

I am lead to believe that Mick Schultz got a specific request from a party from Aldershot ( supossedly ALL senior citizens). This party were travelling together as a group and due to their age requested seats.

Mick granted this request on the basis that 30+ people could not really be expected to stand for 2 hours+.

On the basis that the "spare" Aldershot players and our youth team players were seated in the block nearest the dressing rooms, may have lead this group + others from Aldershot moving nearer the Sponsors area than normal. Also if the Aldershot VIPS knew the senior citizens from Aldershot there may have been some "mingeling".

Also at any ground their is nothing to stop an away fan ( without colours showing entering the home stands) Providing they were to keep a "low profile" until late into the game I would imagine they would remain "undeceted" by the stewards.

Also if away fans are sat in the block nearest the dressing rooms they would still need to use the toilets in the clubhouse and the refreshment facilities near the press box.

Also we don't very often fill the main stand. When requests are made from away supporters for seats, we try to accomodate them. Every penny helps, without this co-operation they may not come at all.
southernred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 18:55   #19
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

In that case the why not use that turnstile nearest to that block of seats and put a away fans only sign up,which would stop away fans sitting any where they wanted,i'm not having a pop at yourself or any other stewards you all do a dam good job ..
Old 13-08-2008, 17:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernred View Post
I am lead to believe that Mick Schultz got a specific request from a party from Aldershot ( supossedly ALL senior citizens). This party were travelling together as a group and due to their age requested seats.

Mick granted this request on the basis that 30+ people could not really be expected to stand for 2 hours+.

On the basis that the "spare" Aldershot players and our youth team players were seated in the block nearest the dressing rooms, may have lead this group + others from Aldershot moving nearer the Sponsors area than normal. Also if the Aldershot VIPS knew the senior citizens from Aldershot there may have been some "mingeling".

Also at any ground their is nothing to stop an away fan ( without colours showing entering the home stands) Providing they were to keep a "low profile" until late into the game I would imagine they would remain "undeceted" by the stewards.

Also if away fans are sat in the block nearest the dressing rooms they would still need to use the toilets in the clubhouse and the refreshment facilities near the press box.

Also we don't very often fill the main stand. When requests are made from away supporters for seats, we try to accomodate them. Every penny helps, without this co-operation they may not come at all.
Very good post.
Hopefully next season when the new all seated stand is up this will no longer be a problem, as away fans can be given as many seats in as it they wish. I understand from speaking to a lad in the Oaklea on Saturday that work has already started on the foundations, which is good and could mean the new stand being open in March or April 2009.
Blackburn Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 20:04   #21

we do try & keep a degree of segregation as required by FA regs now. We also had an inspection on by Lancs CC on Saturday. However with the limited facilities for disabled away fans we do have to provide seating which we do stress to away disabled fans to use the area nearest the changing rooms & leave the front row for wheelchairs. However two ears one mouth doesn't always get used in proportion. The section designated should be sufficient for the usual level of away disabled fans, so should not normally prove a problem. Our role as stewards are to ensure your comfort & safety & never feel we are beyond approachability if you have a problem. If your nearest steward fails to solve your problem then each area has a supervisor who will ensure anyone proving a problem is dealt with initially by polite request & final resolve of being asked to leave the ground. Away fans do try to get in to home fans areas & your help as home fans in identifying them will be acted on by moving capably able fans to their proper area for their & your comfort. We all at the club want you to feel you have parted with your hard earned cash for a degree of return-sadly its Johns department on the field so that side is beyond my remit! Its not always a rewarding job as stewards but the family friendly ground we won last year was some degree of acceptance of our role by the league & away fans. So next game as you leave give us a smile & a thank you for our efforts in helping your afternoons enjoyment, oh & let us know the final score too please-LOL.
Old 13-08-2008, 20:15   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

oh the stewards aint too bad Al, its just the football that spoils it sometimes.
Old 13-08-2008, 20:18   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
sadly its Johns department on the field so that side is beyond my remit!

Talk about passing the buck, where's the comradeship
Old 13-08-2008, 20:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
oh the stewards aint too bad Al, its just the football that spoils it sometimes.
As I said Cashman, thats Johns remit. Cant comment really after way I played in goal for stewards v ballboys at end of season

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..