Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 20:55   #1

so..... did you enjoy yourselves?

Great to have Accy back in the league and i was glad to here the reception you got from us Chester fans.

Sorry to say but i thought it was one way traffic today, I thought we bossed the game really. I was happy with our performance but today was about you enjoying your day.

I wouldnt worry to much about the performance today, there was a lot of pressure on and id give it a while before you start judging your side.

Im sure Chester City (A) wasnt exactly a glamour first day back for you but at least it was local.

I was wondering what did you think of the Chester Team, The Ground, The Fans, The city etc. as it is nice to get a opposition's view?

what did you think of todays game as well, did you share your managers views that you played well and were unlucky.

I thought your fans were good today,seemed lively, and i notice your complaining about prices at the deva! expensive i know but wait until you play swindon town. £26 , yes £26 it cost down there.

I really really wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season and i eagerly await our visit to the interlink stadium ( is it still called that?) for another 3 points

Seriously i hope you stay up and perhaps beat wrexham on the way

Good Luck

Jack
JackCHESTERCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2006, 22:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: so..... did you enjoy yourselves?

Now called the Fraser Eagle stadium after new sponsors. Yes I enjoyed the day, and to be honest your keeper was the busier of the two, just is you put the ball in the back of the net and we didn't. Still a lot to learn - could be difficult Tuesday night against Darlo'. Still along way to go, nice announcements on the tannoy prior to the game, well appreciated from all Stanley fans even if the result went slightly wrong for us. Good Luck for the remainder of the season.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 22:24   #3

Hated your style of play, but I'm reliably informed on another forum I frequent that this is more than typical of league 2 Clubs. I could only describe your squad as 10 shaven gorillas that had been taught to kick a ball...hard. Made even our tallest player look like a midget, and our stockiest player look like the bloke from the Mr.Muscle ad. Very physical (to put it politely) and all too keen to lump it straight up the field. We tried to play it on the deck, but to be honest, if all League 2 clubs play in your style, trying to play attractive football won't work. Enjoyed my day though, despite the result, got a lump in my throat and goosebumps all over when we sang "Stanley Are Back", I have never heard us so loud.

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 22:26   #4
God Member

I like Chester as its under an hour away. Crappy location for the ground as over 3700 fans all brought a car. Took me nearly an hour to get to the Racecourse pub (Watergate?) Chester team looked strong physically and Broughton is an experienced campaigner who will cause problems for a lot of defenders (climbed all over Welch? for the opener). Stanleys' problem was that they won very few individual battles (Todd being the major exception), won next to no ssecond balls, didn't string enough passes together as they looked to make too many killer passes rather than retaining possession, and the fact that the MOM was Martinez in your midfield shows that we were struggling there.

There were a few nerves early on from our players, I think Cavanagh struggled early on but came into his own as time went on. Chester capitalised on these nerves scoring the early goal and then we were on the back foot.

Second half was a different story and we had a reasonable amount of the ball with Todd causing problems down the left, Roberts tried to have more of the ball and tried to show some tricks (didn't really happen today for Gary). The other problem we had was that your keeper never had to make a save. We hesitated a touch too long every time and not just in the 18 yard box, numerous times we just avoided having the ball nicked of our toes as we adapt to a faster or more frenetic pace.

I think Chester may struggle against more composed teams but they have the physical presence to get down and dirty with those.

I think Stanley will win or draw as many as they lose. We will have games where Roberts, Doherty or Todd will destroy sides, Craney will be driving through midfields, and Mullin won't get penalised when he is being half-nelsoned.
Old 05-08-2006, 22:27   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy
even if the result went slightly wrong for us.

That's what we WANT them all to think!
It's all a plan I tells thee.
False sense of security & all that business.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:15   #6
Senior Member+

I thought the ground was fine. Typical purpose built construction, which is functional and compact. I wish we had something like that (covered all sides).
Chester side looked as though it needed time to gell (where there 10 new players in your starting line-up?), but all of them were experienced League 2 and above players. Without wanting to sound petty and I haven't seen many League 2 matches, but I think Chester are a very average team, possibly even leaning towards being the poor end of average. This obviously isn't good for us, is it?

I think height and strength are the most important characteristics of teams in this league and that is worrying for us. We looked very light weight, especially in midfield and up front. Players were too easily pushed off the ball and seemed to lack pace as well.

I'm not judging the team at this early stage of the season, it would be foolish and unfair to do so, but we may very well need to make a number of signings if we are going to survive.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:43   #7

Im sorry but you can not say you bossed the game in anyway like your manager did.

And in fairness ive heard that Accrington are the most dirty long ball side you will ever see, and being honest i saw nothing to discourage that yesterday

I dont think our Goalie had to make a save and most of the attacking was done by chester, Sometimes our defenders are a bit too eager to hoof it but its effective in League 2 as you will find out.

With Roberto Martinez in our side, we can afford to hit some long passes because his passing range is superb, im sure you noticed

To be fair i wouldnt be harsh on yourselves, first game back and all, and i dont think we are a poor side, I think we will be pushing on for a play off place, maybe higher.

Not many teams will score past us as we are organised and hard to break down, always the trait of a good team, and we looked quite creative up front so it all looks good at the moment

ROLL ON BURY

good luck
Jack
JackCHESTERCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:57   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCHESTERCITY
Im sorry but you can not say you bossed the game in anyway like your manager did.

And in fairness ive heard that Accrington are the most dirty long ball side you will ever see, and being honest i saw nothing to discourage that yesterday

...and you heard this from where?,,,,,Hereford, Exeter, York or Halifax?

So-called bigger sides who were jealous that a little club was trampling all over their title aspirations. The fact that our talisman only scored around 20 goals in all competitions last year and that our 2nd striker never got past ten shows that our goals came from all areas of the park - surely a sign of a team that plays football? We finished around half way in the fair play league so surely that shows that we are not a dirty team? We play hard and we play fair which is how it should be played. Certainly the odd tackle goes astray and people get hurt but that happens on every pitch in every league in every country every day.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:47   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
...and you heard this from where?,,,,,Hereford, Exeter, York or Halifax?

So-called bigger sides who were jealous that a little club was trampling all over their title aspirations. The fact that our talisman only scored around 20 goals in all competitions last year and that our 2nd striker never got past ten shows that our goals came from all areas of the park - surely a sign of a team that plays football? We finished around half way in the fair play league so surely that shows that we are not a dirty team? We play hard and we play fair which is how it should be played. Certainly the odd tackle goes astray and people get hurt but that happens on every pitch in every league in every country every day.
Not only all of the above, but Chester had four players booked to Accy's 2 so I don't think we are that dirty either

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:04   #10
God Member

but 2 of those were for sportsmanship so they are good sports eh?
Old 06-08-2006, 17:14   #11

I don't like to say I told you so, but I told you so. That's all you can expect from Mark Wright's teams. Belt it up in the air, let the big guys knock it down, and try and cash in. Real exciting stuff. Not. Lots of teams in League two don't play like that. I believe you have Darlo next. Hard game. They have money to spend.
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 18:37   #12
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I enjoyed myself I thought it was a reasonable game that could have gone either way. The Stanley fans where on top form and I didn't see a hint of trouble. Your tannoy man was one of the best I've heard although he was a bit loud at least he could be heard. Cheers to the Chester fan who signed me in to your bar, Mike or Mark, nice one, he bought me a pint. The bar or lack of them is a problem as there are no pubs near by and the catering was poor and to expensive although the two young ladies serving kept cheering us up by walking across the Stanley fans behind the goals.
The bottom line is your ground despite a few problems is far better than ours, what the hell do we want a roof for?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 19:07   #13
Senior Member+

My view on the game was that Chester deserved their win, they got their tactics spot on, kept Mullin quiet albeit keep fouling him and they controlled the midfield. We didn't really trouble their keep enough as i'd like to have thought we might do. We started nervous but that faded as the game went on and we played the ball on the floor better. We also gave the ball away too much, i hope that was down to the nervousness. On other days Roberts and Craney will be more commanding and feed balls to a fit again Mullin....I was very impressed by the noise we made, imagine what we'd be like with a roof at home, i also got goosebumps, the only downside was the lighter thrown at opposition keeper..

Roll On Darlington...
Old 06-08-2006, 19:20   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayno14
the only downside was the lighter thrown at opposition keeper..

do you not mean ...... on a lighter note
Old 06-08-2006, 19:32   #15

That reminds me, what the hell did I do with my lighter!?

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..